General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, memae said:

Thanks! I just realised I hadn't heard the BBC commentary either.

The more I watch this footage though, the more apparent it is to me that he is pretty strung out on those painkillers. I have no idea how he managed to get his brain together to skate. I first thought so watching his reaction when he realised he won again after Shoma's skate (or maybe it was Javi's?) - he seemed so overwhelmed. He also just doesn't look so well as he takes his starting position- kind of clammy or pale or something. He looks how I feel when I'm in pain and trying to get through something. He truly is something else. Being an Olympic gold medalist is already amazing - doing it while you're less prepared than you'd like, in pain in the most crucial place for your sport, and drugged up on painkillers is an extraordinary feat. 

Brian has actually said - I think both in a documentary and, if IIRC, in the third Team Brian book as well - that even though Yuzu was on strong painkillers, I guess the strongest they could give him and still be legal and not count as doping - he was still in pain. At the start I didn't really get the feeling he was that bad - though I think he was nervous, I think he actually said he was so nervous he felt like throwing up, especially after the sal acted up in the warm-up - but afterwards, he was completely drained. He looked like he might pass out in the KnC and especially afterwards. And I think all his strength just vanished then, both as far as physical energy and emotional walls. Brian also said Yuzu was smiling at the Olympics to hide how he really felt - pain, possible some measure of despair or panic, though he probably didn't even allow himself to acknowledge those feelings - and I think all those walls he put up to appear fine just crashed after the free. Hence all the emotional reactions and the crying. He said he knew he'd won after he'd finished skating, that neither a clean Javi nor a clean Shoma would be able to beat him. But I'm sure there was still some nervousness. And when Javi also got a medal, the waterworks really started. He's cried in public before and it's one thing I admire about him, being able to cry in public like that, but never like he did at the Olympics and knowing everything he went through to get there, who wouldn't cry, really?

And that brings me to a different topic, regarding the DVD/BR which I just got today and just finished watching, but putting it under spoilers, in case there are people who don't want to be spoiled on the content before they get to watch it, too

Spoiler

I am actually kind of disappointed. Yes, there's some footage we haven't seen before, a couple more 4Lzes and some interviews and comments I hadn't seen before, which are very nice.

But this Olympic cycle was marked by the hardships Yuzu encountered and the way he overcame them and used them as fuel in his quest for his second Olympic Gold. (And the madness all around.) The hardships are essential. It was a cycle of extreme highs and extreme lows and it makes no sense to me to only show the highs.

That the DVD acts like the 2014-2015 season ended with Japan Nationals, not even mentioning his surgery and Worlds 2015, and the 2015-2016 one started with NHK and ended just after Nationals (again, not mentioning the lisfranc injury and the hard recovery afterwards, let alone Worlds 2016), and the 2016-2017 one that also started at NHK, but this one did end with Worlds, because hey, he set a World Record there. And then 2017-2018, skipping ACI, but covering Rostelecom, then two quick mentions of the NHK injury and recovery in Toronto, then switching straight to the Olympics. And even there, just his interview upon arrival, then on to the SP, interview after SP, then FS. It's like what's the hurry??? It's the damn Olympic Season, you could dwell on it a bit more...

I had my doubts early on, but by the time it ended I'm pretty sure Yuzu was not consulted on this beyond giving a general approval. IMO, he would not agree to a dvd that only shows his triumphs and just a few glimpses of the not so good days.

And the Javi erasure... IIRC, the first DVD didn't mention Javi's influence on Yuzu, either, how Yuzu moved to Toronto to train with him or how training together helped Yuzu stabilize his quads. And now this DVD doesn't mention Javi won over him twice and Yuzu only mentions him once, when talking about the strengths of the other skaters. But they did keep the "I can't do it without you" and "You are so bad" at Olys... it's a bit... weird.

Overall, I don't get it... I guess I'd rather Yuzu wrote an actual book at some point. Or had his team make his own dvd/br. (Maybe Fuji being one of the producers of this makes sense, in the end...)

4 hours ago, 4Nessie said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/na_na_bel/status/1179391516298625024

Oh God, I thought the pink pajamas was the worst. :surprised:

1 hour ago, raebia said:

I think this must be photoshopped/cgi? 

Someone put his face on some kind of not pleasant to look at bodybuilders torso?? This is not him...

Me, too, would like to unsee! 😂

I was about to say the same thing...no way those are his shoulders LOL did they potoshopped his face/neck on somebody elses body?....alos Dory rocks :swordfight:

15 minutes ago, Paskud said:

:happy0007:

oh but this is cute and funny!

20 минут назад, mercedes сказал:

I was about to say the same thing...no way those are his shoulders LOL did they potoshopped his face/neck on somebody elses body?....alos Dory rocks :swordfight:

The neck is his, the angle of the photo might make wrong impression.

Yeah, compared to this even Dory rocks... how could they after wonderful last year's green costume? :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Lunna said:

The neck is his, the angle of the photo might make wrong impression.

Yeah, compared to this even Dory rocks... how could they after wonderful last year's green costume? :facepalm:

of which I'm still waiting for a full body shot becuase it was incredible!

Dory rocks like a giant rock thing on its own :biggrin:

50 minutes ago, mercedes said:

I was about to say the same thing...no way those are his shoulders LOL did they potoshopped his face/neck on somebody elses body?....

Got to be photoshopped, look (if you can bear to) at the way the fabric 'lies' around his torso, totally not natural.