General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, 4Nessie said:

This is hilarious! :rofl2:

5/8 are Russians and Yuzu and Boyang are truly party poopers among UR and PR jumpers aka RUS/US skaters :ninja:

This just confirmed my prediction that learning to PR jump is alr UNIVERSAL thing as NO new gen's prominent skaters jump with correct technique anymore :notamused:. The day might come when kids think that rotating half a rotation on ice is the correct way, and leaving ice too early is just foolish :xD:

24 minutes ago, monchan said:

5/8 are Russians and Yuzu and Boyang are truly party poopers among UR and PR jumpers aka RUS/US skaters :ninja:

This just confirmed my prediction that learning to PR jump is alr UNIVERSAL thing as NO new gen's prominent skaters jump with correct technique anymore :notamused:. The day might come when kids think that rotating half a rotation on ice is the correct way, and leaving ice too early is just foolish :xD:

My :salty: prediction for next season:

Yuzuru will be jumping the majestic 4A for the 4T amount of points. In the meantime, any girl with the right flag will have a 3Lz for 4Lz points.... :banginghead:

44 minutes ago, ICeleste said:

This excellent post was written by an anon on another forum. I'm bringing it here because I think it hits the nail on the head. It's made me appreciate Yuzuru's Olympic victories even more:

"Just take a look the Olympic male champions in the eight Olympics  before Sochi and its clear Figure Skating had always been just a game for US and Russia only in the men's field. We are just reverting back to how things were.  Hanyu is the anomaly that shouldn't have existed, but was allowed to for a while only because prior to Chen there were no decent US nor Russian men. Now he is TOTALLY in the way. It was the same for female really. Mao or Kim was allowed to shine for a while due to lack of US or Russian ladies, but the moment there is one, you saw how Yuna lost gold at Sochi. Hence, I don't blame Hanyu's reluctance to commit to Beijing - he knows even if he skates clean, the judges will do everything to make him lose. The only way he can win is if every top Russian and US men blew up. If anyone of them have a cleanish skate - Kim's fate will likely repeat itself"

Ppl said the same thing for Pyeongchang but Yuzu won anw. Whenever Oly season comes, ppl would like to take example from the past, which might be true for ISU's behavior, but well, no one, even ISU, can save skaters from flopping. Isn't it the drama that makes the sport interesting? :winky:

(And Yuna's example isn't the best imo, all 3 medalists are pretty much justified for Sochi OGM even if scoring correctly.)

1 час назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

Agree wholeheartedly. Once the event has started, it's best to stay put in your seat for the whole thing and rude to leave in the middle. 

I try to watch most of the interesting skaters during events, but sometimes it's too demanding if the event lasts the whole day, especially at Worlds if you watch practice in the early morning and then have two other long events till late evening. I sometimes can miss a couple of skaters or even one group, especially during SP (to go for a short walk outside or to eat). But there are cases when people watch only the group with there fave, I personally can't understand that, but I'm long-time FS viewer, I may find such behavior rude but some people are just like this, so what can you do.

Personally, I'm not that interested in any other skaters aside from Yuzu, not even to look up their programs. But when at a competition, I try to watch as many as I can, because I paid for the tickets after all and it is fun and interesting - if not as captivating, to me, as watching Yuzu. That said, it is hard to watch everything. ACI last year and especially GP Helsinki were honestly overwhelming (admittedly, I was also a rookie). ACI this year was ok, but I still missed some due to restroom or food breaks. Especially restroom breaks can take forever at Yuzu comps, due to the huge lines. I think it's fine to not watch everything and go take a break, regardless of the reasons. I think that when taking that break, you need to be considerate and try not to bother the other fans. During competition, no leaving the seat until zamboni breaks. During practice, never leave seat during RTs. Same with returning to the seat. That's what I try to do. There was a time, during practice for ice dance and the three pairs were on the ice, but they were all either talking to coaches or skating around, so I felt it was ok to rush back to my seat. If any of them had been doing an RT, I definitely would have waited. Even for eating, I only ate on the upper tables during breaks or practice (when really hungry), never while anyone was competing. I personally just try to put myself into other people's shoes and not to anything that I would find upsetting or disrespectful.

I also personally think it's more ok to just watch the group your fav is in and then leave, to eat or go back to your hotel to rest or go meet friends or whatever, than to leave just to go camp outside. That to me is worse, because the skaters will see you camping there and they will know you weren't watching because it was more important for you to camp outside. That's rude, IMO. Watching just your fav isn't that big an issue, because like someone at ACI pointed out, families and friends of skaters in smaller events do it all the time and that's fine, so... But I think it's essential to still respect the other skaters and their fans, because even if you're not interested, maybe they are. (And that vaguely reminds me... when I went to a VK festival in Japan a few years ago, on the last day I got a really great spot, maybe 10-12 people back from the main stage, but I wanted to watch another band on a smaller stage and also had no stamina left to stand there all day until my fav band - incidentally, X Japan :P - took the stage; so, at one point, I spotted some ladies that seemed to be fans of one of the bands about to play on the main stage that I didn't really care for that much and I offered them my spot to watch their fav band from, while I went to watch the other band on the other stage. So that kept my spot safe AND made fans of an artist I wasn't into happy, while I also got to see another artist I liked. They kept my spot safe until I returned and were very thankful. ACI could work like that, too... if only everyone weren't there for Yuzu first and foremost :1: But the point was just that something/someone you might not be into, someone else might, so you can sometimes trade off on it.)

Mmmh... screaming at the end of a performance is natural and wanted, to lift the skater's tension. Screaming after a jump element has been landed has a positive result as well. Screaming when the skaters are introduced is natural as well.

But screaming in any other occasion is rude, period. You can see in Yuzuru's reaction to some "moments" the fan had in different competitions, he feels embarassed for them and for the other skaters he is competing with. Don't underestimate Japanese pride. If his fans do something that is not polite, he will take the responsability for it.

During the 6-minute warm up, for example, everyone is doing the jumps so it's okay to incite everyone and react to good jumps. Reacting to first costume reveal? I get it, but reacting with screams every time Yuzuru pulls off a layer of clothing? Damn rude. For him, as well. He is not a model for us to watch. He is an athlete and wants to be treated as such. I compare that to whistling to someone on the street. 

And the thing that happened this year at ACI, when Yuzuru pointed to the other skater that had just finished the RT... if I had been in the Arena, I would have felt ashamed. And I am sure Yuzuru felt that way too. I repeat myself, do not underestimate Japanese sense of duty, humility and respect for other people. Yuzuru, in particular, personally has these values very dear to him.

I am ordering Yuzu’s DVD from Amazon Japan but just wondering if anyone knows what are the differences between the regular one versus the special edition (with logo sticker)?

regular one, blu-Ray is 8329 yen

special one, blu-Ray is 10270 yen

thanks!!

also I think HMV japan is cheaper as a member but I can’t figure out how to enter a non-japan address when joining membership...

1 hour ago, holina said:

I am ordering Yuzu’s DVD from Amazon Japan but just wondering if anyone knows what are the differences between the regular one versus the special edition (with logo sticker)?

regular one, blu-Ray is 8329 yen

special one, blu-Ray is 10270 yen

thanks!!

also I think HMV japan is cheaper as a member but I can’t figure out how to enter a non-japan address when joining membership...

The only difference that I can see is that the more expensive one comes with a "logo sticker", whatever that is. That's the one I ordered myself.

Make sure that you order the Blu-ray if that is what you are intending and not the DVD. The Blu-ray should play in any region.

The price for the Blu-ray once the order is in (before shipping and import fees) should be a bit less than the list price because they will deduct the sales tax which is included in the list price. The sales tax is only payable by Japanese residents. If you are ordering from outside of Japan, they will deduct the sales tax.

In one of the practice videos Yuzu did a nice 4-3 combo right as Christopher Caluza hit his end pose, which must have been the time he pointed for people to redirect their attention - but on first watch I actually thought Yuzu did it on purpose, to cause cheers right at that point. Yuzu will steal musical accents all the way through but in general I don't think he does something big or attention-grabbing during an important point in someone else's practice (beginning or end) unless he really wants to mess with them. Caluza is an older skater, likely not well known to that crowd, returning from a long hiatus, and if I were him it would be really heartening to hear a lot of applause right at the end of my runthrough. That's probably not why Yuzu did it - probably just timing - but then again it might be like him, too, to use his power to encourage someone in a sneaky way. :)

also aren't you guys taking RTs a little too seriously? it's just practice, it's not a performance. Usually they're pretty poorly attended--it's unusual for there to even be a big enough audience for significant cheering. I remember sitting through ladies practice at JGPF last year and there was barely anyone, and that was for the most hyped group of young skaters in a while. And no one really thought twice of getting up to relocate/go to the restroom, etc. I really don't think there's an obligation to behave in any particular manner at open practice, other than to not be blatantly disruptive, any more than skaters have an obligation to run through their whole program and not skip elements, or put on a show for the audience, or even show up/stay the whole time. it's not that kind of event

I don't think Yuzu was trying to say the crowd was being rude, just trying to direct some cheers Chris Caluza's way too. He was most likely just being nice, not rebuking anyone.

I don't remember any redirection for applause during practice run-throughs, but maybe I missed something.

My take on the cheering is that sometimes fans get a little overexcited over very small things, this year there was cheering mid-combo during practice sessions and cheering whenever Yuzu passed by with his new costume. Honestly, I thought it was a bit much since the skaters there were still in competition mode and I want to allow them the ability to concentrate.

What really annoys me though is when people leave mid-performance or do their makeup in the middle of someone else's skate (yes, I have sadly seen this happen). I also prefer not to get up and down from my seat when someone is just about to start their program since I worry it can be distracting and it also blocks people's view. If I've left my seat, then I wait until the skater has finished their program to go back to my seat. I typically try to apply the etiquette rules I learned from my high school tennis coach about being respectful while watching games and moving around behind when players are on the court, but I understand that not everyone is taught these things so hopefully people practice their best judgement and are mindful while skaters are on the ice competing. I feel the movement in the crowds are usually more noticeable in small competitions and venues like ACI so I'm usually really careful. For practice sessions I think it's typically okay to get up and move around more freely, but I'd usually try to keep applause and cheers for after an element is successfully completed, but you can't keep track of everyone on ice during practice.

3 hours ago, shanshani said:

I don't think Yuzu was trying to say the crowd was being rude, just trying to direct some cheers Chris Caluza's way too. He was most likely just being nice, not rebuking anyone.

That's how I read it because he did similar things at ACI last year too. I think Yuzu wants every one of his fans to love skating and respect his opponents, not just to follow him.