General Yuzuru Chat

4 часа назад, mercedes сказал:

didn't he hush some people last year after his K&C at ACI?so yeah it could be a message.....although sometimes I imagine it's hard not to do that because of course there's an amotional involvement.

He did hush a shouting fan on his way to skaters exit after SP or FS in Helsinki when other skater was about to start. That was really an inappropriate time, but I guess the more fans you have the harder it is to reach everybody. I also don't like loud shoutings before performance - that happanes not only to Yuzu though.

4 hours ago, mercedes said:

didn't he hush some people last year after his K&C at ACI?so yeah it could be a message.....although sometimes I imagine it's hard not to do that because of course there's an amotional involvement.

What I really found wrong was fans throwing gifts  at ACI knowing perfectly well they couldn't ,that was really rude to me.

He did lose his patience a bit with fans last year I think, and I'm wondering if that wasn't part of the reason why the seats right next to the railings around the skaters entrance were blocked off this year, preventing fans from getting too close. And this year, too, when he pointed at Chris Caluza, I think it was? who had just finished his RT, but fans were cheering for Yuzu landing something. He does try to educate his fans without being outright strict about it, although I'm pretty sure he wishes he could be at times. I'm quite sure he's not one to tolerate bad behavior.

That said, I don't think the Pooh throwing after the FS was that bad, because Yuzu was the last to skate and it didn't really bother other skaters. If it had happened after the SP, that would have been much worse. And there were gifts thrown for other skaters as well, even if just a bit. The girls who threw the Poohs after the FS were right in front of me and as they were getting ready to throw I could hear some Japanese ladies behind, shouting 'ダメ!'. I do wish they had refrained from it, because IMO, Yuzu could live without getting any Poohs for one competition (though the skaters' gift box was full of them anyway), but I don't think it was THAT bad. Keegan having to gift Camden flowers in the SP was in a way worse, though it made for a funny moment.

Regarding cheering for Yuzu during other people's RT, I try to refrain from it, because I do agree it's rude. I admit, when Yuzu is on the ice, I can't follow anyone else, but I try to keep my reactions to an absolute minimum. Sometimes, though, it's hard... like if he lands something truly amazing during another skater's RT. And honestly, it happens with other skaters as well. Fans tend to cheer for their favorites, whether it's them doing the RT or not. And I admit, sometimes, especially for ladies, if I wasn't paying attention in the beginning, looking halfway through, there are times when I have no idea whose RT it is, so I find myself cheering for a beautiful jump, only to then realize the one who did it, is not the one doing the RT. But that's different. I do wish fans in general were more considerate, both towards other fans and other skaters and other skaters' fans.

I had a few bad experiences of my own this ACI - I don't remember having any last year, really, except for the little argument over banner space - but overall, the crowd was very supportive of everyone and given that most of them were Yuzu fans, I actually felt kind of proud. I'm not sure how many other skaters' fans would be as supportive. I still remember when that Filipino skater (I'm sorry, I can't remember which one of them it was) ran out of steam and was almost ready to give up, the crowd started cheering and clapping along the rhythm to encourage him and it was great to be part of that. There were times when Yuzu wasn't as popular as he is now and he got cheered on and encouraged by crowds as well, so I think Yuzu fans understand. Or there was the moment Donovan's program started falling apart and he looked really upset, the crowd didn't give up on him and the cheers were like a 'we love you anyway, Donovan!'. That was great and I think for the most part these moments outweigh the bad ones.

But I am happy that Yuzu is putting his foot down and in his diplomatic and kind way trying to make sure his fans behave. I really hope they will, at all times.

31 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I had a few bad experiences of my own this ACI - I don't remember having any last year, really, except for the little argument over banner space - but overall, the crowd was very supportive of everyone and given that most of them were Yuzu fans, I actually felt kind of proud. I'm not sure how many other skaters' fans would be as supportive. I still remember when that Filipino skater (I'm sorry, I can't remember which one of them it was) ran out of steam and was almost ready to give up, the crowd started cheering and clapping along the rhythm to encourage him and it was great to be part of that. There were times when Yuzu wasn't as popular as he is now and he got cheered on and encouraged by crowds as well, so I think Yuzu fans understand. Or there was the moment Donovan's program started falling apart and he looked really upset, the crowd didn't give up on him and the cheers were like a 'we love you anyway, Donovan!'. That was great and I think for the most part these moments outweigh the bad ones.

I am a Filipino and I was really surprised that 2 of my countrymen were competing against Yuzuru this year's ACI. I was feeling bad for Edrian Paul Celestino when he paused mid-program but it really warmed my heart when the audience cheered for him (well obvs it was mostly Fanyus :D) and he was able to finish his program. Philippines is a tropical country so Figure Skating is pretty much non-existent so it was a pleasant surprise for me to see them skate side by side with Yuzu.

By the way, Christopher Caluza is also a huge Yuzu fan! 

13 minutes ago, ICeleste said:

Yuzu is currently almost breaking his body to achieve 4A when he could just get a U.S citizenship... If the USA flag were next to his name, he could just perform a 3x3A program and one of those triples would be ratified as 4A

Hopefully Russia has something to say about that and it brings about a closer look at what's going on with the calls and judging so far this season.

45 minutes ago, ICeleste said:
Yuzu is currently almost breaking his body to achieve 4A when he could just get a U.S citizenship... If the USA flag were next to his name, he could just perform a 3x3A program and one of those triples would be ratified as 4A

But would we love him as much if he did that? I'm one of those people who puts a higher price on integrity than winning and I think, as much as Yuzu likes to win, he's the same. I know it's not a serious suggestion, though and it is so frustrating. The only bright side is we are going to see Yuzu get a lot closer - or maybe even develop - to his full potential than just about anyone else and it's going to be incredible to see. But it is incredibly frustrating when he is not rewarded appropriately. Last week, I literally wanted to throw my phone at the stupid plexiglass panel between us and the rink. Luckily I didn't, but I've rarely had such a strong urge to just smash something.

I hope people have started compiling all these mistakes and inconsistencies maybe making a website with them, to be easily accessible and to present the facts as objectively as possible. Maybe even giving them the benefit of a doubt, calling them mistakes and letting skating fans draw their conclusions from the numbers: how many mistakes and how often and to what skaters they happen. A website would be easier to navigate, too, I think. ISU is either in denial that it has issues or intentionally ignoring the fact. Even if these are mistakes, it's unacceptable to have so many of them and at every competition. Maybe a compilation like that would help either open their eyes or at least force them to tone it down (I have little hope they'll stop altogether).

30 minutes ago, memae said:

Hopefully Russia has something to say about that and it brings about a closer look at what's going on with the calls and judging so far this season.

ETA: But I think Russia benefits at times, too, so would they really? :emoticonaci2019_2:

I just wish they could do it fairly. This affects the skaters the most. Whether they work hard and their work isn't appreciated - like Yuzu, too. Whether they are encouraged to learn or keep doing jumps with bad technique, which risks their long-term health. Whether they are not encouraged to improve and fix their faults, leading to negative comments about them along the way. Whether they get attacked for being overscored and get a bad rep, even though it's not their fault. It's sad how in this mad dash for... I don't even know what for, I doubt there's that much money in FS and prestige and ego seem like such stupid things, skaters seem become insignificant pawns, to use, to profit over, to make the best of while they're in top shape and then tough luck, on to the next one. Why else would anyone encourage 13-14 year old boys and girls to do quads? I still watch sometimes those videos of 15 year old Yuzu struggling to learn 4T and even that is painful to watch. But at least he'd mostly grown into his body and had no real growth spurt after that, just slightly getting taller and stronger, but nothing dramatic. How much must it suck for a teen to get a quad and then have puberty kick in and possibly undo all that painful hard work? Why risk them having to go through that if not for the instant gratification of having a chance to win now, right away? With such regimens, it doesn't feel like many skaters are aiming for long term careers anymore. I'm even wondering if Yuzu might be among the last skaters to hit double digits on their number of seasons... If so, his double OGM might take many years to equal again... and if he manages to make it three, even longer.

Sorry for the rant...

2 hours ago, Lunna said:

He did hush a shouting fan on his way to skaters exit after SP or FS in Helsinki when other skater was about to start. That was really an inappropriate time, but I guess the more fans you have the harder it is to reach everybody. I also don't like loud shoutings before performance - that happanes not only to Yuzu though.

The hushing at ACI last year was because people didn't stop screaming for him even though the next skater was about to start their skate. So he was fully in the right to shush. 

I've seen a different effect though - because people are in the habit of cheering for him during open practices, they start clapping for the other skaters, too, just to be polite. Sometimes these are skaters who no one's heard of or seen before, and they probably don't get a lot of support normally. 

1 hour ago, ICeleste said:

I know what you're saying is not serious suggestion but Yuzu's love for his country and for figure skating is beyond all these created hype around US for their up & coming young skaters. Yuzu has a manner that his objective comes as a whole and genuine. Sport comes from the sporting spirit which supports fair competition. Yuzu has plenty of it and he won't have it in any other way. His stubbornness and passion is the driving force of this mad rollercoaster. It's not going to stop until he gets it...:13877886:

Re: Noisy fans: The thing that annoys me most is loud screaming before Yuzuru has fully completed an element eg combination jump, or whilst he is still mid-air in a quad!  Clapping spontaneously because of feeling  excited I can understand, but screaming during an important and difficult element in a competitive performance could be so off putting for an athlete. Sensitivity is needed towards all the athletes during a competition, but given we are Yuzu fans we should especially behave in a way that aids his performance, rather than hinders it.

Noise can of course be very supportive though during a performance if it's at the right time eg. the roar before Yuzuru's step seq in Otonal! That must surely spur him on!

Hace 1 hora, KatjaThera said:

But would we love him as much if he did that? I'm one of those people who puts a higher price on integrity than winning and I think, as much as Yuzu likes to win, he's the same.

Of course. 100% agree. Just to clarify, my comment wasn't a serious suggestion for him at all, lol. I find Yuzuru's integrity and his approach to training totally admirable. He's a great role model for other skaters. I'm just pointing out how absurdly unfair the judging has been...

16 minutes ago, Pammi said:

the roar before Yuzuru's step seq in Otonal! That must surely spur him on!

He loves that step sequence and it shows on his face and the audience responds to that, hence the roar. And in general, I think a lot of the screaming is just people's honest reactions to his performance. When you watch him skate, he is giving the audience so MUCH - it makes every part of your body want to respond to what he is doing. Just merely clapping doesn't feel like a big enough reaction; it feels like you're not showing enough gratitude. So I think that's why people scream. 

That being said, I try to save my screaming for the end LOL. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The hushing at ACI last year was because people didn't stop screaming for him even though the next skater was about to start their skate. So he was fully in the right to shush. 

I've seen a different effect though - because people are in the habit of cheering for him during open practices, they start clapping for the other skaters, too, just to be polite. Sometimes these are skaters who no one's heard of or seen before, and they probably don't get a lot of support normally. 

I think it's absolutely normal that the superstars of a sport get louder cheers and more support than others. As long as it's tolerable and doesn't disturb, bother or harm the other athletes, it's fine. When I watched the Snooker Masters in London this year, you could feel in every match that the crowd was extremely pro Ronnie O'Sullivan. Even when his opponent came to the table, you could hear the loud screams 'C'mon, Ronnie!!' from every corner of the arena. It was really intimidating, because in billiard sports you usually have to be absolutely quiet so that the players can focus on their next shot. However, everyone got used to it and it's part of the show now, so it's not a problem.

In Yuzu's case it's similar I think. Every skater is aware of the 'Hanyu-mania', the 'Pooh-rain', the madness in practice sessions, the screams, the fancams and all the other stuff going around. It's not the first time that it happens and it's part of the show. Something would be even missing without it :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

What I don't like is when people only come watching their favorite skater and miss the rest. I feel so sorry for all the skaters who have to skate in front of empty seats and an hour sooner or later it's full house... In the ladies SP at ACI there was a pretty huge crowd until group 2, but after the resurfacing many have left the arena, although Zhenya, Eunsoo and others were yet to skate. This is not okay imo.

1 minute ago, Henni147 said:

What I don't like is when people only come watching their favorite skater and miss the rest. I feel so sorry for all the skaters who have to skate in front of empty seats and an hour sooner or later it's full house... In the ladies SP at ACI there was a pretty huge crowd until group 2, but after the resurfacing many have left the arena, although Zhenya, Eunsoo were yet to skate. This is not okay imo.

Agree wholeheartedly. Once the event has started, it's best to stay put in your seat for the whole thing and rude to leave in the middle. 

This excellent post was written by an anon on another forum. I'm bringing it here because I think it hits the nail on the head. It's made me appreciate Yuzuru's Olympic victories even more:

"Just take a look the Olympic male champions in the eight Olympics  before Sochi and its clear Figure Skating had always been just a game for US and Russia only in the men's field. We are just reverting back to how things were.  Hanyu is the anomaly that shouldn't have existed, but was allowed to for a while only because prior to Chen there were no decent US nor Russian men. Now he is TOTALLY in the way. It was the same for female really. Mao or Kim was allowed to shine for a while due to lack of US or Russian ladies, but the moment there is one, you saw how Yuna lost gold at Sochi. Hence, I don't blame Hanyu's reluctance to commit to Beijing - he knows even if he skates clean, the judges will do everything to make him lose. The only way he can win is if every top Russian and US men blew up. If anyone of them have a cleanish skate - Kim's fate will likely repeat itself"