General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Does google sheets work? I'm pretty busy over the next couple months so I'm not sure how prompt I'll be with it, but I'm also doing a lot of testing at work so I'm sure I can help somewhat.

Do you have a template for it?  We should make a group to keep each other updated on progress.

Here is the template

Here is an example

Note that you need to create a separate sheet for each competition segment. all that needs to be filled out are the names of the participating skaters, their nationality codes (JPN, USA, RUS, etc), the judges' names, their nationality codes, and the judges' individual scores for the skaters. the sheet will calculate everything else I need automatically.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/delhi/2019/sep/19/delhi-based-ice-skater-dreams-to-win-olympic-gold-medal-2035905.html

apart for wishing Aaditabh for his dreams to come true ,the many young skaters Yuzuru influenced still amazes me ❤️

His legacy is literally already changing the face of this sport and he’s still competing !

9 hours ago, shanshani said:

I'm going to couch my actual claims in probabilistic, careful language like any good statistician when I actually write up the project. It's just too exhausting to do that all the time/there's kind of a tradeoff between communicating clearly and communicating carefully. Plus my definition of biased is "scores own skaters higher than other skaters" and I'm going to be somewhat agnostic about the cause and nature of the bias, eg. whether it's intentional or not. I'm not going to make any claims about people colluding to fix scores or whatever. I know I don't have evidence for that, and my project is not designed to be able to find collusion between judges anyway.

But at the same time, I think showing significant statistical bias is enough to throw your judging into question, regardless of whether you're deliberately trying to take down opposing skaters or whether it's just because your own skaters give you the warm fuzzies so you throw them some extra points. A significant minority of judges don't show evidence of national bias, so it's not like it's impossible for judges to be fair.

I'm pretty sure "judge A scores their own skaters two standard deviations above how they score other skaters" isn't really cause for a libel suit, especially when backed up with data. It would be ridiculous. Plus it's really hard to sue for that kind of thing in the US, which is the only place I have any money. I just don't think there are really serious risks here, other than for the ISU if this somehow catches more attention than it did last time. The biggest risk is I sink a bunch of time into a project that will be ignored :13877886:

tbh why doesn't ISU do the statistical analysis already, bit outrageous that fans have to do this for them. I don't think there's any other sports that the management takes such a hands-off approach, even rhythmic gymnastic is starting to get computer intelligence to help score more accurately already I think. 

Also I really like your crowdsourced technical camera project idea! You might want to consider sharing to twitter, tumblr or Facebook for more exposure 

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I wrote a script to parse their data at one point and they yelled at me. So be careful :P

Was it because the data was parsed without their knowledge / credit? If so, maybe things will be different if we ask them first and phrase it as a "collaboration" between us and them with proper credits. If not, oh well 

A bit OT, but not so much.

This thread is funny! ISU made a big mistake with this post. Beware ISU, now skating fans are coming! :rofl2:

Like, really what are they thinking, asking this stupid questions at this time? I am not a big fan of stating my own opinion on sns, but I am probably going to spend my first likes and comments on this thread... ISU neads new glasses, like yesterday. :banginghead:

1 hour ago, Salior said:

tbh why doesn't ISU do the statistical analysis already, bit outrageous that fans have to do this for them. I don't think there's any other sports that the management takes such a hands-off approach, even rhythmic gymnastic is starting to get computer intelligence to help score more accurately already I think. 

Also I really like your crowdsourced technical camera project idea! You might want to consider sharing to twitter, tumblr or Facebook for more exposure 

Was it because the data was parsed without their knowledge / credit? If so, maybe things will be different if we ask them first and phrase it as a "collaboration" between us and them with proper credits. If not, oh well 

I did ask and they didn't answer, so I just went ahead and scraped it :P but idk maybe if you ask now it will be different haha. And I did credit them a lot

9 hours ago, shanshani said:

I have all of the grand prix from last season + ACI, Lombardia, and Ondrej Nepala, and ACI and Lombardia from this year. So basically I need to rest of the senior Bs from last year as well as 4CC, Euros, and Worlds. I've changed the format of the competition sheet significantly from the last iteration of this project because I had major problems with how it handled judging from competitions where the the judging panel changed between the SP and FS, not to mention there was simply too much data to input so it was a nightmare from a workload perspective. Plus there were theoretical issues about comparability between different disciplines. So it's revised and simpler this go around.

If you're interested, the template is here and a filled out example is here. Basically all you need to do is write down the list of skaters, their nationality code, the judges, their nationality code, and then the score each judge gave each skater (easiest to do this from skatingscores.com). Separate sheet for each segment of the competition.

I can do 4CC! I went, so it may be a little extra fun to re-live it by entering the data. To avoid potential issues with SkatingScores, I am happy to do this working from the ISU protocol sheets. It might take a bit, but I'll get it done.

Amusingly, it was in trying to reply to this post that I realized that I'd never made an account on here...

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

I did ask and they didn't answer, so I just went ahead and scraped it :P but idk maybe if you ask now it will be different haha. And I did credit them a lot

😂 I see. Yea I do know content creators and artists who get very offended if their work is used before explicit permission is given, even when they are credited.

I guess there's no harm for shanshani to ask again on the premise of "collaboration". If they say yes, a lot of work can be saved, if not, nothing changes lol 

1 hour ago, 4Nessie said:

A bit OT, but not so much.

This thread is funny! ISU made a big mistake with this post. Beware ISU, now skating fans are coming! :rofl2:

Like, really what are they thinking, asking this stupid questions at this time? I am not a big fan of stating my own opinion on sns, but I am probably going to spend my first likes and comments on this thread... ISU neads new glasses, like yesterday. :banginghead:

It just goes to show that they're focussed on irrelevant things.