General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, memae said:

The thing about a review would be that it comes with the risk of even more deductions/lower GOE of other parts of the performance as well, because of the additional scrutiny. It's like appealing grades for university assignments. People very rarely do it because it's likely to make them worse off. You have to be very, very confident in the scoring of everything else and very confident that the wrong calls you are appealing were indeed wrong and that under a second review, the judges will see that. In most cases it probably won't be worth the risk - but that could be a benefit because then the right to appeal wouldn't be abused. It would get used when shady calls mean the difference between qualifying for the Olympics or medalling or breaking records, etc.

Exactly. Only to be used in the case of last resort, BUT it would mean athletes have a recourse against gross judging errors. 

VM retiring is such big (thou not surprising) news. I'm not an ID fan but they're like among biggest names in the history of the sport so you can't help feeling smt. They've been there for 22 years and now it's over, I can't help thinking how it would feel the day of Yuzu's retirement comes. I'm so used to him being there all the times and anticipating each FS season, I don't know how to cope with the disappearance of all of that. I mean he might still go on shows, but no show will give you shiver thru your spines like a competition,  and even if competition seasons will always come, without him there will be no anticipation from me, really. 

With his current burning desire, I can be at ease at least for a while now. But no matter how long he stays, I don't think I can ever be truly ready for that destiny day :knc_brian3:

I agree with those who think figure-skating should have a means for a rapid appeal of a bad call.  Many sports have it, as was pointed out.  A somewhat different situation obtained in the 2012 London Olympics when the British diver Tom Daley did a dive which was really bad.  He appealed and his appeal was carried.  Why?  People in the stands with flash attachments on their cameras had used them while he was in mid-air and they had distracted his orienting himself while descending from the platform.  For some reason the authorities there had neglected to make the routine announcement for people not to use their flash cameras when the diver was in the air.  His appeal was successful and he was able to repeat the dive.  Circumstances were somewhat different but the point here is that there was in place the ability to appeal the dive right after the score was revealed.  Figure skating, as has been pointed out by others, should have a similar mechanism.  Even American football has instant replay resources which are used when referee calls are contested.

On another matter, Yuzu's reserved personality, I think there is plenty of evidence to show that that is not really the case.  Look at how he deals with others during those times at gala events and ice shows where things aren't scripted and he's mixing freely with the others.  Not only do we see him totally relaxed but we also see a rather playful element and to a certain extent even evidence of an alpha personality.  I also think that Yuzu is much loved by Japanese broadcast journalists because he is so evidently relaxed in interview situations.  As far as Yuzu's ascetic life-style, I think it's almost a 'time' situation for him.  We have to remember that Yuzu is also a university student and he has work to do there and as I've pointed out in the past, cognitive science is not a lightweight major.  There are almost certainly significant challenges both to his intellectual abilities and to the amount of time he has left over from skating chores.  Looking at Yuzu's romantic life (or lack thereof) I think Yuzu has been reluctant to get involved because he doesn't need that kind of distraction and its resultant complexities.  Once competing is done he'll probably let himself go.  We should remember that Yuzu right now in Japan is viewed as one of its very most eligible bachelors.  It's not only his skating stature but also his very gorgeous physical appearance that puts him in that position.  You can be certain that if Yuzu were to go someplace with a young female it would be front page news not only in the Japanese tabloids but across the board.  That would be very big news there.  So I think he is waiting for competition days to be over to make his moves in his romantic life.  Until then Yuzu lives the life of a monk.

One final note, Yuzu's relationship to Brian and company.  There were some very strong insights based on Japanese culture voiced here but one potential relationship was missed, that of a novice to his spiritual guide or master.  The difference between a student/teacher relationship and a master/novice relationship is, in my mind, the difference where one is imparting knowledge and the other is imparting wisdom.  Some teacher/student relationships can evolve into master/novice relationships and I think Yuzu's initial relationship to Brian was essentially that of a student to his teacher.  But it has altered and I think it began altering the more Brian has come to know Yuzu in all his complexities and also when Yuzu's following became so ardent and in fact, became the most visible fandom in figure-skating (thanks to all those Pooh plushies).  In some ways, in fact, I think the relationship is going in both directions now, where Yuzu is teaching Brian and Brian is teaching Yuzu, and by teaching I mean the imparting of wisdom.  Brian, I am certain, has learned a lot about coaching in dealing with Yuzu over the years.  All one has to do is remember the expression on his face at the 2015 GPF when yet another record score came up.  He looked totally at sea there, wondering what's next.  To be the coach of a skater who was in his very sight evolving into a living legend, that is something Brian had never anticipated.  He had to learn to cope with that reality just as, I 'm sure, Yuzu had to learn to cope with that reality. 

Brian's recent outburst about the bad judging, I think is not a solo action on his part.  I'm almost certain Yuzu's involved in that decision.  In fact I think Brian would not have come forward unless he had Yuzu's explicit permission to do so.  Yuzu's sense of propriety would not have sanctioned himself making the move.  It had to be his coach and so Brian objected and I think the skating authorities, at least in Japan, are aware that Yuzu is behind Brian on this.  What will come of this, I can't say, but the fact that Yuzu, via Brian, has taken this stance may embolden other coaches who feel they've been mistreated in this manner, to come forward.  I don't know enough about the dynamics of figure-skating politics to make a prediction.  What I can say is that I would not put it past Yuzu, now that the issue is out in the open, to make a protestation himself right at the time when the scores come out in a competition.  The thought of the nightmare that would result has to be a sobering element to any judges scoring him.  They'll have to be very careful there.  This whole incident I think makes all  the judges dealing with him know that they are on probation.  They are being judged as much as they are judging.

Hello guys .. this the first time i write in this community hehet❤️

I always Amaze by Yuzuru and his details 😭 it’s made me cry Every time I figure out something new😭💜😭💜

I just figure out that he use The violin and the archery bow because his father named him yuzuru 😭

Also i read some tweet that talk about his father in interview or something 🥺did you know guys where I can found this? Or the interview that said his father name him! 

Thaank you💜💜💜💜

Sometimes it's hard to believe that this is Yuzu's TENTH season. :surprised_pikachu:

It's amazing how he has changed figure skating in a positive way, how he has achieved things nobody has ever achieved before, things nobody even thought possible until one brave mushroom boy with huge dreams came along.

It's incredible how much joy, happiness, excitement, beauty and inspiration Yuzu has brought so many people all over the world. He has truly enriched the lives of so many people and shown them to believe in and follow their dreams. Yuzu has shown us all that the impossible is possible and that sometimes, dreams do come true. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I'm just so grateful and happy that I get to watch and support Yuzu and enjoy his wonderful skating for one more season. I was afraid that he'd quit after winning 2018 Olympics but he didn't.

Therefore, every new season with him - every competition, every ice show, every new program, every new costume - is a gift!  :cri:

27 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

ToshI paying a surprise visit to Yuzu. :rofl:

I can totally see that happening in real life. :LOL:

I wouldn't be surprised to see ToshI at one of Yuzu's competitions. :smiley-cool14:

Yuzu actually did Toshi's hand sign thingy in the KnC lol I'm sure Toshi was as happy to see that as we fans were at him reacting ti our banners :xD:

1 hour ago, Sumisama said:

Hello guys .. this the first time i write in this community hehet❤️

I always Amaze by Yuzuru and his details 😭 it’s made me cry Every time I figure out something new😭💜😭💜

I just figure out that he use The violin and the archery bow because his father named him yuzuru 😭

Also i read some tweet that talk about his father in interview or something 🥺did you know guys where I can found this? Or the interview that said his father name him! 

Thaank you💜💜💜💜

I've read it in multiple interviews...most recent one was a reprint of an interview with him from about 4 years ago.