General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, micaelis said:

I think that those who say the Japanese skating authorities don't care are probably correct to a point, but as one person has said those people have yet to deal with an angry Yuzu ready to go public and berate them for not standing behind him.  Yuzu commands more respect and credibility than the whole federation does and I think if he were to threaten them with a public accusation of lack of support they'd quickly get in line.  Yuzu's fandom and also his contacts with non-skating powers give him a leverage no other Japanese skater possesses.  Like the American president Theodore Roosevelt once said when talking about conducting diplomacy, one should speak softly but carry a big stick.  Yuzu carries a stick bigger than almost any other Japanese athlete in any sport.  I don't think the Japanese fed would care to feel its weight on them.

You may be right, but I have my doubts about whether he'd ever flex that power in an obvious, public, way. My guess is that he'd only do it if he had exhausted all other options.

2 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Only recent case I can remember was Euros 2017 ID. C/L were first in the SD then I think hours after the event finished, RusFed complained about their lift. The panel reviewed their lift (they performed an extra little lift, which is considered an illegal element) so they received a 1 point deduction and the 1st place went to B/S.

Luca's reaction to the deduction after the FD :68468287:

Reveal hidden contents

So there actually is a rule that allows for appeals? Colour me surprised. The way people act, I'dhave thought every call is set in stone once made. 

I know in swimming, athletes and coaches have the right to appeal any technical disqualifications. This covers things like stroke and turn judging, false starts, undue interference by a competitor etc, and it's up to the meet referee to decide what to do. Anything up to and including re-swimming the race is possible, although most swimmers just want their result to stand instead of having a DQ. 

Every skating competition has a referee.What are they there for if not to handle appeals? 

So there is fan's outrage in twitter?? I am browsing through yuzuru hanyu tag there, all of them are talking about the unfair judging, calling out for ISU to have accountability for judging? 
And rockerskating even post about the low score for skating skill that judges give to hanyu. 

Personally, i think it is better for fans to stay quite and let yuzu's team take care of it. fans interference in sport competition can be problematic, unless, there are repeated and blatant incidents which can be used to accuse judges for systematically trying to downgrade yuzu. 

In my experience, it is never a good thing when fandom starts taking things on their own hand though. It is okay to vent frustration on twitter, but I don't think it will end up good if we do campaign or such. Idk, I guess such campaign can help newer fans to realize there is a problem in judging, but, related to the institution itself there is more possibility that it will endanger Yuzu's standing... there might be some claims about how difficult it is to judge Yuzu when fans are so protective etc. 

1 hour ago, Lily* said:

There was this old group interview of Yuzu, Keiji and Ryuju when they were teenagers. They talked about how they met. Keiji and Ryuju met Yuzu at Nobeyama camp. Keiji recalled that Yuzu was the first person who talked to him there. Yuzu casually talked to him and introduced himself. Keiji was somewhat taken aback because kids that age are generally shy with strangers, and Keiji was relatively reserved. Keiji and Ryuju said Yuzu hadn’t changed since then, his same friendly self. That’s how people see him. In Toronto, maybe it was a little different. Language and cultural barriers for one thing, and it was a transfer after 3.11 with a lot of things going on. But every time I hear something about his reserved personality, I don’t know, it just doesn’t sit well with me. So, I really appreciate it when you explain some of the cultural stuff so properly.

Agree here! Yuzu acts like an outgoing type. And he's in the midst of a group of his peers at TCC, so he could have people to hang out with if he wanted. I'm thinking his 'living like a monk' comment relates more to the austere lifestyle of an elite athlete, and maybe a bit the recognition factor, where getting recognized on the street could potentially be a problem, so going out is difficult. 

There's also the fact that he's a healthy young man and probably wouldn't mind having a relationship if it were possible to find someone suitable. Again, given his position, maybe not possible for him right now. And perhaps he prefers not to be distracted. 

But it's just a light-hearted comment on his part,  in my opinion. No deeper meaning other than 'all I do is skate, eat, and sleep' .

57 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Agree here! Yuzu acts like an outgoing type. And he's in the midst of a group of his peers at TCC, so he could have people to hang out with if he wanted. I'm thinking his 'living like a monk' comment relates more to the austere lifestyle of an elite athlete, and maybe a bit the recognition factor, where getting recognized on the street could potentially be a problem, so going out is difficult. 

There's also the fact that he's a healthy young man and probably wouldn't mind having a relationship if it were possible to find someone suitable. Again, given his position, maybe not possible for him right now. And perhaps he prefers not to be distracted. 

But it's just a light-hearted comment on his part,  in my opinion. No deeper meaning other than 'all I do is skate, eat, and sleep' .

I don't think being friendly and not shy necessarily implies he's outgoing and not introverted. Even that he might be outgoing doesn't necessarily mean he's not introverted. I believe there are nuances. It could also be that he's more used to being on his own than hanging out with people all the time. He did say in some interviews that as a kid, his classmates and friends would have fun and hang out and play after school, while he went to skate. So, because he was skating, he never really got to have that same kind of childhood (though skating obviously had its own advantages, that other kids didn't get, like the joy of winning). And I think once you get used to having a lot of alone time, it's hard to want to be around people a lot. And ever since he decided skating was it for him, he dedicated pretty much his entire life to skating. Even what he does outside of skating he does for his skating (his studies, his relaxing methods).

On top of that, Yuzu has always made it clear that for him, Toronto is a work place. It's where he goes to work, not to have fun and hang out. I think that might have shifted some, by now, especially as Japan has become harder for him to have fun and hang out in, but Toronto is still mainly his work place. Then, the decision to go to Toronto wasn't made lightly. I don't think he ever wanted to leave Japan, he loves his home land too much and especially after the earthquake everything, but in the same time, he knew he had to if he wanted to win the Olympics, because he'd reached the limit of how far he could improve in Japan. With the decision being made in such a mindframe, going there and having fun and playing around would have put a shallow spin on it and it might have made it seem like he's not serious enough about it. I think there were a lot of people upset about it at the time, so he had to show he was serious about this, that he didn't move to Toronto, on fed money at the time, IIRC, just to play around. On top of that, language barriers and cultural differences probably didn't make him feel much like hanging out. I can imagine at least in the beginning being in an all English environment, as someone who hated the English language, must have been very overwhelming and he probably could not wait to get back to his room and take refuge in his music and manga and games and so on. I know I would be like that :xD:

And after spending most of his life like this, I personally don't think he's interested in anything that isn't figure skating at this point in time. I doubt he regrets his popularity, because he can't date or so, because I don't, personally, think he's interested in romance at this point in time. I think he might regret it when it interferes with going home when he's in Sendai - see FaOI this year - or if he ever wants to hang out with other skaters or friends, that's probably hard, but we don't know if he does, anyway. From what we know, he probably doesn't. But not being able to walk down the street is probably annoying, or being spotted even when shopping, even in Toronto, but I think it's the smaller stuff that is probably annoying. For the rest, perhaps just like he said about his asthma, he doesn't really know any other lifestyle, so to him, this is normal (the not hanging out, not dating thing, I mean, not getting recognized everywhere). It's hard to wish for something you don't even know what it's like. And it's probably not worth him risking it affecting his skating, just to try it. He'll have time after he retires.

Anyway, just IMO :joy:

19 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I don't think being friendly and not shy necessarily implies he's outgoing and not introverted. Even that he might be outgoing doesn't necessarily mean he's not introverted. I believe there are nuances. It could also be that he's more used to being on his own than hanging out with people all the time. He did say in some interviews that as a kid, his classmates and friends would have fun and hang out and play after school, while he went to skate. So, because he was skating, he never really got to have that same kind of childhood (though skating obviously had its own advantages, that other kids didn't get, like the joy of winning). And I think once you get used to having a lot of alone time, it's hard to want to be around people a lot. And ever since he decided skating was it for him, he dedicated pretty much his entire life to skating. Even what he does outside of skating he does for his skating (his studies, his relaxing methods).

On top of that, Yuzu has always made it clear that for him, Toronto is a work place. It's where he goes to work, not to have fun and hang out. I think that might have shifted some, by now, especially as Japan has become harder for him to have fun and hang out in, but Toronto is still mainly his work place. Then, the decision to go to Toronto wasn't made lightly. I don't think he ever wanted to leave Japan, he loves his home land too much and especially after the earthquake everything, but in the same time, he knew he had to if he wanted to win the Olympics, because he'd reached the limit of how far he could improve in Japan. With the decision being made in such a mindframe, going there and having fun and playing around would have put a shallow spin on it and it might have made it seem like he's not serious enough about it. I think there were a lot of people upset about it at the time, so he had to show he was serious about this, that he didn't move to Toronto, on fed money at the time, IIRC, just to play around. On top of that, language barriers and cultural differences probably didn't make him feel much like hanging out. I can imagine at least in the beginning being in an all English environment, as someone who hated the English language, must have been very overwhelming and he probably could not wait to get back to his room and take refuge in his music and manga and games and so on. I know I would be like that :xD:

And after spending most of his life like this, I personally don't think he's interested in anything that isn't figure skating at this point in time. I doubt he regrets his popularity, because he can't date or so, because I don't, personally, think he's interested in romance at this point in time. I think he might regret it when it interferes with going home when he's in Sendai - see FaOI this year - or if he ever wants to hang out with other skaters or friends, that's probably hard, but we don't know if he does, anyway. From what we know, he probably doesn't. But not being able to walk down the street is probably annoying, or being spotted even when shopping, even in Toronto, but I think it's the smaller stuff that is probably annoying. For the rest, perhaps just like he said about his asthma, he doesn't really know any other lifestyle, so to him, this is normal (the not hanging out, not dating thing, I mean, not getting recognized everywhere). It's hard to wish for something you don't even know what it's like. And it's probably not worth him risking it affecting his skating, just to try it. He'll have time after he retires.

Anyway, just IMO :joy:

Since we don't know him personally, it's hard to say one way or the other. I just think that a) he's not as much of a loner as all that, and I will deliberately avoid using the terms introvert and extrovert, since they're loaded words, and b) his comment in the ACI interviews that he 'lives like a monk' isn't meant to indicate anything more than his lifestyle as an athlete. 

41 分, rockstaryuzuさんが言いました:

Since we don't know him personally, it's hard to say one way or the other. I just think that a) he's not as much of a loner as all that, and I will deliberately avoid using the terms introvert and extrovert, since they're loaded words, and b) his comment in the ACI interviews that he 'lives like a monk' isn't meant to indicate anything more than his lifestyle as an athlete. 

Yeah, I believe we are talking about pretty much the same thing :happy: