General Yuzuru Chat

I took one for the team(:grin:) and watched a bit of the TLS video(thanks gods for timestamp) and yep that's what they say about Brian who is I'm sure very well aware of the poilticks in FS and they say those jumps weren't UR(although they are pretty fast to add that the TP may not have had the right angle)but it's not lke they are screaming in outrage.

On more interesting things I'd give everything to watch Yuzuru skating to Bohemian Rapsody especially as an Ex with no time aand no scoring restrain...what a dream it would be.

I was curious about that tsl had to say about Rika's and Medo's cultural appropriation problem and Med's costumes but now I deeply regret it...my fault i know

7 minutes ago, mercedes said:

I was curious about that tsl had to say about Rika's and Medo's cultural appropriation problem and Med's costumes but now I deeply regret it...my fault i know

As expected you shouldn't go out of the known content and time stamp

I was wondering why I felt so gratified and relieved to hear of Brian’s apparent outrage and I guess it’s because I’ve not seen him go out on a limb before to back Yuzu. While he has mentioned Yuzu as being the greatest post-PyeongChang, he had also commented before about cultural difficulties in dealing with Yuzu, mentioned Yuzu’s sheltered lifestyle which seemed to contrast unfavourably with Javi’s, and Yuzu’s strong opinions conflicting with Brian’s ideas in the past. The relationship is professional, but didn’t appear close. 

All this of course is based on publicly known stuff. What goes on behind the scenes could be totally different, which is why it’s great to know Brian is firmly behind Yuzu in this case. I think the fact that (according to TSL) Doug H texted Dave first and complained about the judging seems to indicate some sort of effort on TCC’s part to mount a counter offensive. Hopefully it’s not a hodgepodge effort and some kind of formal complaint is being lodged, whether by Jpn Fed or whoever. 

The new Origin costume made me think of something but I couldn’t put my finger on it and I was rather preoccupied with other aspects of Saturdays FP at the time, but this afternoon looking at the photos it came to me - it would make a fabulous costume for Count Lilac in an ice production of Matthew Bournes Sleeping Beauty- it’s got that goth vibe and with a spot of eye make up it would make an amazing show costume.

I’m not as keen on Otonal - it’s a bit bulky in the torso to my eye.  The collar is a bit bulky too, much prefer no 1.

39 minutes ago, Sukigirl said:

because I’ve not seen him go out on a limb before to back Yuzu. While he has mentioned Yuzu as being the greatest post-PyeongChang, he had also commented before about cultural difficulties in dealing with Yuzu, mentioned Yuzu’s sheltered lifestyle which seemed to contrast unfavourably with Javi’s, and Yuzu’s strong opinions conflicting with Brian’s ideas in the past. The relationship is professional, but didn’t appear close. 

Think of how happily and affectionately Yuzu goes running into his arms for a hug at the end of every program. That would not happen if they weren't close. Yuzu doesn't strike me as the type to be huggy with everyone. 

Also, Brian has learned the hard way to be very careful what he says about his skaters at all, because it can be easily twisted around. I would guess that he also is aware that if he says anything bad about the ISU, it could be held against his skaters later. So saying nothing is the safest thing. Doesn't mean he's not thinking it. We just don't know.

17 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Think of how happily and affectionately Yuzu goes running into his arms for a hug at the end of every program. That would not happen if they weren't close. Yuzu doesn't strike me as the type to be huggy with everyone. 

Also, Brian has learned the hard way to be very careful what he says about his skaters at all, because it can be easily twisted around. I would guess that he also is aware that if he says anything bad about the ISU, it could be held against his skaters later. So saying nothing is the safest thing. Doesn't mean he's not thinking it. We just don't know.

If I remember correctly, Brian mentioned in an interview around the PC Olympics, how much time they actually needed that Yuzu called him Brian. Just 'Brian'. No 'Brian-san', 'Orser-san', 'Orser-sensei', 'Orser-kōchi' or something like that. In Japan calling someone just by his first name without any suffix indicates a very close and familiar relationship, aye?

38 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

If I remember correctly, Brian mentioned in an interview around the PC Olympics, how much time they actually needed that Yuzu called him Brian. Just 'Brian'. No 'Brian-san', 'Orser-san', 'Orser-sensei', 'Orser-kōchi' or something like that. In Japan calling someone just by his first name without any suffix indicates a very close and familiar relationship, aye?

Does anyone have the link? I’d like to read it^^

2 hours ago, Sukigirl said:

I was wondering why I felt so gratified and relieved to hear of Brian’s apparent outrage and I guess it’s because I’ve not seen him go out on a limb before to back Yuzu. While he has mentioned Yuzu as being the greatest post-PyeongChang, he had also commented before about cultural difficulties in dealing with Yuzu, mentioned Yuzu’s sheltered lifestyle which seemed to contrast unfavourably with Javi’s, and Yuzu’s strong opinions conflicting with Brian’s ideas in the past. The relationship is professional, but didn’t appear close. 

All this of course is based on publicly known stuff. What goes on behind the scenes could be totally different, which is why it’s great to know Brian is firmly behind Yuzu in this case. I think the fact that (according to TSL) Doug H texted Dave first and complained about the judging seems to indicate some sort of effort on TCC’s part to mount a counter offensive. Hopefully it’s not a hodgepodge effort and some kind of formal complaint is being lodged, whether by Jpn Fed or whoever. 

I'm sure they have been close for some time now, but there are cultural differences. Both Brian and Javi have described their relationship closer to a father and son one. However, my impression is that in Japan, student-coach relationships have their own category. A coach isn't a father/mother or a best friend. A coach is a coach and a precious existence in themselves, but they're neither family, nor friends. It's something else entirely, though that does not necessarily imply any less caring. A coach is someone you respect and who guides you through your career. He/she is not necessarily someone you interact with outside of your sport, but within your sport they are probably the most important person and a very special bond. I believe that's what Brian and Yuzu have, what Tracy and Yuzu have. Now Ghislain might actually be closer to him, because they went through the trauma of the NHK '17 injury and recovery together and it's possible that brought them closer together. It's also possible that in time Yuzu got a bit more accustomed to the Western ways of TCC and warmed up towards his coaches even more. But even if not, it doesn't mean Brian doesn't care about Yuzu - though it might have been harder for him to understand exactly where they stand - or that Yuzu doesn't care about Brian. He skated for Brian's father when he passed away, even though Brian didn't even tell anyone about it, after all.

My impression is that none of Yuzu's other coaches ever treated him like their kid either. Not even Nanami-sensei mothered him. I find Coach Fluffy to have been more motherly with Shoma than any of Yuzu's coaches ever were with him. So I think it is a cultural difference, in that the parametres are a bit different, but the relationship itself is still very important.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Actually, I think Yuzu is a bit more touchy feely than your average Japanese, I think. He hugged other skaters even before Javi's Spanish influence. There's also that video of when he first went back to Ice Rink Sendai after the earthquake, and he gives a girl there a big hug as well as being affectionate with a little girl (I always keep forgetting the little girl's name). So he's quite open to hugging, though of course, that's people he knows well. That said, he is obviously very comfortable with the Cricket team and hugging them. You can see in older competitions, when he was still fresh at TCC, and especially in competitions that did not go well, he is much more distant. Those hugs in Helsinki 2017 were so very fluffy, though and I think they showed just how a close knit community they are.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I don't remember this right now, so a link would be great :)

Anyway, I totally understand diplomacy regarding comments about the ISU and scoring. I think Brian and Yuzu have always been aware of it, but also, in a way, until now it was more about just judging Yuzu much more strictly than other skaters, while being far more lax towards other skaters. Unfair, but ultimately it had the bright side that Yuzu would continue to improve to his full potential. It was something they could deal with and in the process create something truly fantastic. Which is why I got the impression that Brian perhaps didn't mind it THAT much. And he felt they could control it by simply being much better than everyone else. However, this time, it was a completely different thing. This time they weren't strict, they were just making up mistakes that weren't there. This wasn't something they could control, except by giving the judges/technical panel binoculars. So it makes sense he's pissed now. I don't know if he considers it a conspiracy theory or just gross incompetence (though one wrong UR call can happen, even two, but three is a bit too much), but if it does happen again, I won't be surprised if he'll try to do something about it. It might not be possible to continue being diplomatic if this is the start of a pattern. (And be ready for all hell to break loose if Yuzu and Vincent are ever in a competition and Yuzu gets UR calls and Vincent doesn't... I'm not sure even diplomatic Brian would sit quietly on that.)

Oh and I know some people were hoping Javi would speak up for Yuzu. I personally don't expect him to. I wish he would, because nobody else really can, but I don't think he will. His very diplomatic comments about Nathan after Worlds settled it for me. Javi has a responsibility to the Spanish fed, to Spanish skaters and skating and to himself at the end of the day, and making undiplomatic comments could have bad repercussions on any of those things. So, diplomacy is the way to go. He will always be complimentary towards Yuzu, but I don't think he'll risk any of the other things in order to stand up for him. Especially when Yuzu himself probably has more power in his little finger - if he ever cared to use it - than Javi does altogether. I hope for ISU's sake they never manage to really piss off Yuzu, because I'm not sure a truly mad Yuzu is a Yuzu anyone would want to face... I have a feeling a mad Yuzu is pretty damn scary...

every time I look at the videos of Yuzu's fully rotated toeloops and think about how they got called UR I feel myself getting more pissed off. I would even say it's one thing to overlook a mistake that should have been penalized, like the billion uncalled URs and edges which have occurred over the past years of competition. I can understand giving someone the benefit of the doubt. it's another thing to penalize someone for something they straight up did not do.

I hope the japanese fed or someone files a complaint. 

2 minutes ago, shanshani said:

every time I look at the videos of Yuzu's fully rotated toeloops and think about how they got called UR I feel myself getting more pissed off. I would even say it's one thing to overlook a mistake that should have been penalized, like the billion uncalled URs and edges which have occurred over the past years of competition. I can understand giving someone the benefit of the doubt. it's another thing to penalize someone for something they straight up did not do.

I hope the japanese fed or someone files a complaint. 

Well, JSF definitely won't care.

hace 18 minutos , shanshani said:

I hope the japanese fed files a complaint. 

Their golden boy Shoma benefited from selective UR calls at the Olys, which lead to him unfairly beating Javier for Silver (Javi himself agrees, he's  made that clear in Spanish interviews). So I'm sure jpn fed are not interested in complaining about this issue.