General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Eh? Not really. Nate barely hits any bullets and is weak in PCS. In clean Nate vs clean Zu there should be at least 60 points difference (if not more).

If judging was fair and as it should be according to the ISU's own rules, there should be such a difference in points. We all know that quality-wise, Yuzu is actually miles ahead of everyone else.

But unfortunately, the points do not reflect these differences in quality. Judging has been distorting the true abilities and level of excellence of Yuzu and Nathan as well as many other skaters. Because of this, it looks to the public like they're skating in the same league. This, of course, feeds the rivalry-narrative even more. :yznotimpressed:

27 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

This, of course, feeds the rivalry-narrative even more. :yznotimpressed:

Small correction: this makes the rivalry-narrative possible at all. With fair scoring no one would bring up any rivalry discussions. It would be all about: can Yuzuru Hanyu beat his own records, clear the 350, 400 and 500 point barrier and become the first skater to do X and Y.

Edit:

@micaelis If Gogo skates a strong season, this will fuel the narratives for sure. IF. I'm not 100% convinced that he can live up to the stellar high expectations... his jumps come and go. He still has a long way to go to reach Nathan's level of consistency.

2 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

Purely from a business standpoint,  the ISU is correct to promote the Yuzu-Nathan rivalry. Nothing is better for any sport -- especially a struggling sport -- than two powerful champions competing for dominance. (Just ask Brian (Battle of the Brians) Orser.

Do I think Nathan is the equal of Yuzu? No way. 

Do I think he's a skater worthy of respect who poses a credible threat to Yuzu's dominance (largely because he's younger and, in recent seasons, less prone to injury)? Yes. 

Fanyus embraced Javi, who, like Nathan, is a two-time world champion, as Yuzu's rival. That was partly because he was also Yuzu's friend and TCC brother in arms. Also, the Spanish fed has no clout, whereas the USFSA has outsized clout. As an American, I totally acknowledge how maddening American influence can be. I really hate to see the financial interests of the sport impinge on the integrity of judging -- and the scoring certainly supports the impression that that is happening. Honestly, it's not fair to Nathan or Yuzu. 

That said, Yuzu and Brian surely understand these dynamics and know the futility of railing against them in public. I try to take my cues from them. Besides, I don't imagine that Yuzu is distressed in the least to see Oly Channel or anyone else refer to Nathan as his rival. He's said himself that he thrives on rivalry, so the hype probably works in his favor, as a motivator. 

As Brian might say: Never underestimate the power of kuyashii. 

Plus, the Olympic Channel isn't really making up that much. They're basically just quoting Yuzu and Nathan and repeating the stories we already know. 

7 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I’m reading on the internet that ISU have a new media contract with some Chinese based company and eurosport won’t be showing the GP series - panicking here, :panic:  I’m a complete Luddite who has a lot of trouble hooking up with new tech and more importantly I need to cancel my now totally useless subscription to Eurosport if this is true.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Max twitted he didn't know yet and like others have said so far is only Scandinavian Country and the Netherlands so hopefully Italy is safe:fingerscrossed:

sports thrives on rivalities and I suspect the Olympyc Channel is doing it just to sort of gain interst among those who watch FS occasionaly, definetly not to FS lovers like us(no matter who your fave is)...Javi/Yuzu one was special because those two had a friendship going on too ,Plushenko/Yagudin was ugly and at the end i don't think it helped them at all.

Of course Yuzuru is miles ahead of everyone but I agree this is what we have in terms of overscoring ,only Yuzuru can change things again with his beautiful sakting.

If anyone's interested, I just posted my photos and video ( what was good enough, anyway) from last year's ACI up in the gallery. The quality's not awesome but I did try to capture as many different skaters as possible. Don't be put off by the black squares on the video thumbnails - if you click, the video plays ok. 

8 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

And naturally, it has to be a lady's watch. After all, most Fanyus are ladies

In my experience, many women like to wear big chunky watches, often thought of as men's watches - I hope if Yuzu designs a watch for Citizen it will come in a smaller size and a bigger size, so women (and men!) can choose whichever size they prefer :tumblr_inline_mqt4gi8ECy1qz4rgp::loveshower:

(maybe he could do one for kids too!!)

42 minutes ago, Pammi said:

In my experience, many women like to wear big chunky watches, often thought of as men's watches - I hope if Yuzu designs a watch for Citizen it will come in a smaller size and a bigger size, so women (and men!) can choose whichever size they prefer :tumblr_inline_mqt4gi8ECy1qz4rgp::loveshower:

(maybe he could do one for kids too!!)

I also hope that Yuzu will design a smaller watch too. I have a very small wrist and even most ladies' watches are way too large for me.

On the other hand, if he designs a watch that's unwearable for me, I'd save a ton of money... :LOL:

On the topic of watches.....when Yuzu said he liked a thinner/lighter watch I was curious to see if he actually has worn a watch at all, so I went back through a few old videos and screencapped this one from the 2014 edition of 24HTV. (Thank you uploader panda_wei.) He wore it just prior to Sochi, and also later in the spring/summer when he returned to Japan to do the show. Spoiler cut for big image.

Spoiler

Vk3hQIh.png

It's plain black, looks like a silicone/plastic strap, with a shiny red face. (MASQUERAAAAAAAAAADE) It could be something like the Swatch Sir Red, which was released around that time and has the same shiny look radiating from the middle of the watch face. So we know a little something about a younger Yuzu's personal taste in watches: a fairly sleek look, not small but not massive (it looks biggish on his small wrist which means it's a medium size), a bit of fun with a coloured face. Good for a sporty nineteen year old boy. It was the same with the watch he helped design with Lotte and Casio, a pop of blue around the face on an otherwise solid body. I expect some colour on whatever he does with Citizen. :)  

OT.

On the eve of ACI, and assuming Yuzuru will recycle Origin, I honestly think that the only thing which will help Origin interpretation score is a squeaky clean perfect skate, and Yuzuru calling the inner power of the universe to be projected to the judges and the rest of audience.

Here is the problem. Without understanding the background of Shae-lynn's choreography, it is difficult to get into it. Especially since it will be compared to Plushenko's Nijinsky which is a legendary performance (and no matter what we hope, comparison cannot be avoided).

Now, understanding the concept of Origin, creates a new expectation of the performance, because it is supposed to represent a God-like creature. And what would you expect of something God-like? Won't it be perfection? Something powerful? Quadruple Axel (lol)?

IF, Yuzuru recycle Origin, I don't know what kind of mindset he will have now. Reflecting 2018, he started his season very well and in a very good mindset. His programs were developing with each competition, but the injury was such such such a setback. His body language during World 2019, for me, was not good, I felt he lost steams during World 2019. Lots of it relates to competition stamina, he just did not have that at that time: unlike Seimei, he has not develop Origin to perfection, and his body was just not used to performing it, so the situation can't be compared to Olympic. Nevertheless, I still feel that Yuzuru can do it, a great Origin program..

Anyway, I really hope he is coming to the new season with a better health and mindset. Otonal? Yuzuru has perfected it in Rostelecom 2018 , so hopefully, there will be new SP this season.

7 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

On the other hand, if he designs a watch that's unwearable for me, I'd save a ton of money.

Gosh yes, not many of us would be able to afford those he has been modelling! Maybe he can design one for the less-expensive end of the market too (please Yuzu??!).....so far that’s big, small, kids, luxury, accessible-to-the-less-affluent-maybe he’ll just have to start up his own watch business!! :xD: Any more orders??!

7 hours ago, fyere0 said:

On the topic of watches.....when Yuzu said he liked a thinner/lighter watch I was curious to see if he actually has worn a watch at all, so I went back through a few old videos and screencapped this one from the 2014 edition of 24HTV. (Thank you uploader panda_wei.) He wore it just prior to Sochi, and also later in the spring/summer when he returned to Japan to do the show. Spoiler cut for big image.

Reveal hidden contents

Vk3hQIh.png

It's plain black, looks like a silicone/plastic strap, with a shiny red face. (MASQUERAAAAAAAAAADE) It could be something like the Swatch Sir Red, which was released around that time and has the same shiny look radiating from the middle of the watch face. So we know a little something about a younger Yuzu's personal taste in watches: a fairly sleek look, not small but not massive (it looks biggish on his small wrist which means it's a medium size), a bit of fun with a coloured face. Good for a sporty nineteen year old boy. It was the same with the watch he helped design with Lotte and Casio, a pop of blue around the face on an otherwise solid body. I expect some colour on whatever he does with Citizen. :)  

I think I’d die of happiness if he chose masquerade 😻 

3 часа назад, andchipzz сказал:

Here is the problem. Without understanding the background of Shae-lynn's choreography, it is difficult to get into it.

I don't completely agree with this. All that God-like concept it's what Shae-Lynn sees in the program and Yuzu himself can think of other things. I don't think you need to know the background to get into the program if choreography matches the music and that's Yuzu's case clearly. The only thing he needs is tons of stamina cuz FS is very demanding and also big jumps, at least 4Lz, cuz we know for what judges give out PCS nowdays.