General Yuzuru Chat

7 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

I've scrolled through the comments and I'm not sure, if this notorious complaint about 'made-up-rivalries' and unfair judging really helps Yuzu at this point... Olympic Channel cannot exchange the judging panels. If there's anyone who must be adressed with this issue, it's the ISU and JSF. We can like it or not - in the current system Nathan IS a rival to Yuzu and I think, Yuzu treats him as a very serious rival. We cannot expect the Channel to ignore Nathan here.

To some extent the biased scoring is even good for Yuzu imo. Unlike many others he's not brandmarked as an overscored skater, who can only win with the judges' mercy. It's the opposite. He goes down in history as an honorable athlete, who earns his scores with pure quality. Nobody can take this away from him. If he beat the field AND the narratives AND the system with one big hit in the future, this would be the sweetest victory of all. USFSA and ISU can cry rivers and drown in their own misery then.

All we need to do as fans is to support Yuzu, pray for his health, believe in him and wait patiently for payday.  :nod2:

15 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

Yuzu also mentioned that he'd consider designing a watch for Citizen. If he really does that, I'm sure that it'll be a gorgeous watch. And it might very well become the most-sold watch for Citizen ever. :pouty:

What type of watch tho? If he's designing a dress watch for ladies, he can use lots and lots of crystals:10814716:

3 минуты назад, Anki сказал:

Look at CWW goods to get an idea of what Yuzu will design...Blue green and feathers! Or the watch will be gold - two designs - one resembles the Sochi medal, the other like the PC medal :68468287:

Gold with feathers can be good (I guess it will be a collaboration with a professional designer anyway), I'm more interested will it be ladies or man model? :68468287: And how much it will cost (maybe the more the better so I will not even think about buying it :facepalm:)

I’m reading on the internet that ISU have a new media contract with some Chinese based company and eurosport won’t be showing the GP series - panicking here, :panic:  I’m a complete Luddite who has a lot of trouble hooking up with new tech and more importantly I need to cancel my now totally useless subscription to Eurosport if this is true.  Does anyone know anything about this?

12 минут назад, Sombreuil сказал:

I’m reading on the internet that ISU have a new media contract with some Chinese based company and eurosport won’t be showing the GP series - panicking here, :panic:  I’m a complete Luddite who has a lot of trouble hooking up with new tech and more importantly I need to cancel my now totally useless subscription to Eurosport if this is true.  Does anyone know anything about this?

I've read it's not for all the countries, for Scandinavia for now, seems like UK is safe (in the thread)

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I've scrolled through the comments and I'm not sure, if this notorious complaint about 'made-up-rivalries' and unfair judging really helps Yuzu at this point... Olympic Channel cannot exchange the judging panels. If there's anyone who must be adressed with this issue, it's the ISU and JSF. We can like it or not - in the current system Nathan IS a rival to Yuzu and I think, Yuzu treats him as a very serious rival. We cannot expect the Channel to ignore Nathan here.

To some extent the biased scoring is even good for Yuzu imo. Unlike many others he's not brandmarked as an overscored skater, who can only win with the judges' mercy. It's the opposite. He goes down in history as an honorable athlete, who earns his scores with pure quality. Nobody can take this away from him. If he beat the field AND the narratives AND the system with one big hit in the future, this would be the sweetest victory of all. USFSA and ISU can cry rivers and drown in their own misery then.

All we need to do as fans is to support Yuzu, pray for his health, believe in him and wait patiently for payday.  :nod2:

Purely from a business standpoint,  the ISU is correct to promote the Yuzu-Nathan rivalry. Nothing is better for any sport -- especially a struggling sport -- than two powerful champions competing for dominance. (Just ask Brian (Battle of the Brians) Orser.

Do I think Nathan is the equal of Yuzu? No way. 

Do I think he's a skater worthy of respect who poses a credible threat to Yuzu's dominance (largely because he's younger and, in recent seasons, less prone to injury)? Yes. 

Fanyus embraced Javi, who, like Nathan, is a two-time world champion, as Yuzu's rival. That was partly because he was also Yuzu's friend and TCC brother in arms. Also, the Spanish fed has no clout, whereas the USFSA has outsized clout. As an American, I totally acknowledge how maddening American influence can be. I really hate to see the financial interests of the sport impinge on the integrity of judging -- and the scoring certainly supports the impression that that is happening. Honestly, it's not fair to Nathan or Yuzu. 

That said, Yuzu and Brian surely understand these dynamics and know the futility of railing against them in public. I try to take my cues from them. Besides, I don't imagine that Yuzu is distressed in the least to see Oly Channel or anyone else refer to Nathan as his rival. He's said himself that he thrives on rivalry, so the hype probably works in his favor, as a motivator. 

As Brian might say: Never underestimate the power of kuyashii. 

1 hour ago, BWOZWaltz said:

What type of watch tho? If he's designing a dress watch for ladies, he can use lots and lots of crystals:10814716:

I'm sure if Yuzu designs a watch, it must be all sparkly and shiny! Maybe something like a Notte Stellata watch with the sparkles of a thousand stars?

And naturally, it has to be a lady's watch. After all, most Fanyus are ladies who are willing to loosen their wallets for anything Yuzu-related. :devilYuzu:

A Nathan and Yuzu rivalry may be the operative narrative at  the present time but there is another just on the horizon.  Part of this, though, is dependent on how he handles his growing pains but Stephen Gogolev is one season away from skating senior level.  He already is the Canadian senior level silver medalist from this past season and if he is able to skate well despite his changing body he'll enter senior ranks as someone everyone will be watching, particularly if he does especially well this season.  He's already establishing a reputation as a jumper.  He was the first Canadian man at any level to land a quad lutz in competition.  If his initial competitions are successful we'll see a three-way rivalry being touted with Stephen competing against his current training mate Nathan Chen and his former training mate Yuzuru Hanyu and being given all the glamor of being a young challenger to the established order.  Things could become mighty interesting.

40 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

Do I think he's a skater worthy of respect who poses a credible threat to Yuzu's dominance (largely because he's younger and, in recent seasons, less prone to injury)? Yes. 

Eh? Not really. Nate barely hits any bullets and is weak in PCS. In clean Nate vs clean Zu there should be at least 60 points difference (if not more).