General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Anyone else have similar experiences? 

Tbh, my sister and I and some friends, we like to discuss on whether some guys are straight or not base on their photos and videos, to hone our gaydar so to say, so we don't develop crush on the wrong person. We more often than not get it right, and base on our experience we can say that guys have bad gaydar. But it is not something one should claim about someone that they don't know personally. We can only say that he might be gay or he might be straight. I can tell you, that my sister really really can read a person well through pictures to the point that they thought she has some sixth sense and she is going to be recruited for intel. But even then, she KNOWS that such reading is unreliable because there are so many history behind that photo.

Anyway, there was a discussion several thousand pages ago. Guys with different orientation find Yuzuru a little bit of a temptress, they find Swanyu attractive/sexy/smth like that. And they might project their smidgen of attraction on him by blaming their attraction on Yuzuru being a bit of a show off with his more delicately attractive side (therefore, gay) without ever knowing the background of his culture and education and family.

On the other hand, his outfit IS showy, a little bit on a feminine side, he has a very particularly elegant body line. If I show it to my father, he will say that Yuzuru is gay. But I won't take him seriously, because he is often wrong about it. Some guys just unconsciously using gender stereotype judgment about it. 

(Edited to delete speculation about a stranger sexual orientation).

45 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I feel like banging my head against a wall right now. I was out for dinner with friends tonight and chit-chatting about my plans for the week, which means the conversation came around to Yuzu eventually. I was trying to explain some things and I ended up showing the husband this latest photo of Yuzu, in the FaOI fishnet. And his only comments was, "I can tell from this picture that he bats for the other team" ( a colloquial expression referring to sexual preference, especially a sexual preference different from the norm.)

It was so bloody annoying!!! My friend is normally pretty open-minded so I can't for the life of me imagine what there was in that picture that made him think that way. And it's not the first time male friends have had this reaction when I show them photos of Yuzu.

It is a mystery to me how anyone could guess something like that (whether someone is gay or not ) based on one photo, wtf. 

Anyone else have similar experiences? 

Ah yes of course ,if a guy is not wearing something mainly he must be gay right?

I have a colleague a couple of years older then Yuzuru :he’s very petite guy and usually doesn’t make stupid sexual commmet on every female costumer that comes in also he’s pretty reserved and doesn’t talk about his private life.

Now as far as I know he’s straight (he mentioned a former girlfriend once to me)but for some of the older guys in the office?he must be gay of course.

I think it all depends on your idea of what masculinity is but of course sexual identity is a tad more complicated then the way you may look in a photo.

This said only Yuzuru could look that good wearing that so honour to him (and of course to the photographer)

Yuzuru, serenely and apparently unconsciously, challenges gender norms by being and wearing exactly what he wants (as in a different way does Daisuke Takahashi IMO) and that - along with his bishonen beauty and contrasted with his athletic prowess - can make men in Western countries uncomfortable, especially as he appeals to both men and women in all kinds of ways, purely asthetic, deeply emotional, and yes, for quite a lot of people, erotically. It's all just another facet of his multi-faceted megastardom.

He chooses not to make his private life and preferences any of anyone's business, and that's fine with us...

Ok, using spoiler to reply to above discussion

Spoiler

not unexpected or new that people project on someone (and judge that someone) based on their own mental categories, included the evergreen "feminine/masculine dichotomy".

Floral shirt + cute face would be enough for some people to use their own categories to speculate on other things, regardless of how superficial those categories are and that they could be radically different from the culture and intent of those they are judging (and things like bone structure and such are hardly a choice anyway and not exactly the most relevant thing that shapes "personality")

But anyway, since it gets uncomfortable if we start talking specifically about personal matters (and sexual orientation is quite further into "private matters" compared to just talking about looks or "image during a performance"), maybe we can just say that yeah, things like what @ rockstaryuzu recounted happen and they are annoying, but it's better to let it go...

(Maybe next time just ask "does it matter?")

Back to nicer things

🤣🤣🤣

From some older pics I thought the left arm/hand (the part that looked to be in the next field...tho it's not like I know nothing about rice fields) weren't growing as well as the rest of rice!Yuzu, but maybe that's me?

Anyway, I wonder if they are going to advertise the SpecialYuzuRice once harvested...

Finally, have I ever said how lovely it is that they put that big smile on Yuzu's face? It gives the field a big cheering power IMO:tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

Yuzu fits some of the Western stereotypes for gay men, so some people will be quick to label him. Until those stereotypes go away, that can't be helped, IMO.

What I think is important is for us to respect him and NOT label him in any way. And as long as he never discusses his sexuality and chooses a label himself - and he probably never will, because he's Japanese and that's not something that gets discusses there much - I don't think it's a topic that we, as his fans, should discuss publicly, either. I'm sure lots of us have opinions, but I'd rather not see any public speculation one way or another. And by public, I mean discussed in places he could stumble upon.

3 minutes ago, TallyT said:

Yuzuru, serenely and apparently unconsciously, challenges gender norms by being and wearing exactly what he wants (as in a different way does Daisuke Takahashi IMO) and that - along with his bishonen beauty and contrasted with his athletic prowess - can make men in Western countries uncomfortable, especially as he appeals to both men and women in all kinds of ways, purely asthetic, deeply emotional, and yes, for quite a lot of people, erotically. It's all just another facet of his multi-faceted megastardom.

He chooses not to make his private life and preferences any of anyone's business, and that's fine with us...

I don't think it's unconscious, actually, I think he is very conscious about it and is an artistic choice. When it comes to his programs at least. He's spoken about it quite freely, how  the original was half Phantom and half Christine and how he was acting as both, or how he asked Shae for feminine moves for H&L, are two examples that quickly come to mind. Whether it's more than that or not, only he knows and it doesn't even really matter, because, artistically, he does it wonderfully.

I used to think that I have a strong gaydar as well. But I've seen and even know people who looked (dressed, etc.) and acted straight, but were actually otherwise. One can never really tell. 

At the end of the day, people will be people and they will think/believe what they want to. Live and let live. 

Nothing they say will ever change the fact that Yuzuru will always be G.O.A.T. anyways--His name is eternally written across the stars and his greatness sealed within the Universe. 

36 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I don't think it's unconscious, actually, I think he is very conscious about it and is an artistic choice. When it comes to his programs at least. He's spoken about it quite freely, how  the original was half Phantom and half Christine and how he was acting as both, or how he asked Shae for feminine moves for H&L, are two examples that quickly come to mind. Whether it's more than that or not, only he knows and it doesn't even really matter, because, artistically, he does it wonderfully.

There is also the Romeo & Juliet persona. And he IS inspired by Johnny Weir. He seeks to portray beauty that appeal to feminine side, and also appeal to masculine side, and it is successful. Even culturally speaking, such goal is not unprecedented in Japan, as you know, there are Onnagata, and onnagata actors are males who portray feminine beauty, and they study it thoroughly to be able to portray feminine attitude that is attractive to male audiences (unlike drag queen culture). I think in some western societies, such prospect might be borderline disturbing.

Lo behold, that is part of what attract many fans, majority of them female! No wonder some guys got insecure because their macho attitude cannot attract women as Yuzuru dignified attitude can..

5 minutes ago, AkaneYamashina said:

I used to think that I have a strong gaydar as well. But I've seen and even know people who looked (dressed, etc.) and acted straight, but were actually otherwise. One can never really tell. 

True story, a friend of mine who is very handsy and flitry with girls is actually a gay guy who tries hard to be straight and is secretly obsessed with my male friend.

50 minutes ago, TallyT said:

OMG! These cookies are amazing! I'm in awe about how talented and creative Yuzu fans are. It's just touching how fans express their love and admiration for Yuzu in so many diverse ways. :softYuzu:

These are so cute, beautiful and lovingly made. It must have taken so much time and effort to make these little pieces of art. They're way too pretty to be eaten! :heartpound:

11 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

I'm quite disturbed by the reactions here. You guys are reacting like "batting for the other team" is something wrong.

I think most of us are just trying not to commit to him being gay OR straight because -- as Javi said -- Yuzu likes to be a mystery. It's very clumsy to try and "allow" someone to be straight, even if you think they aren't. Even the most benign attempt to say this comes out like you're saying there's something wrong with being gay.