General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, micaelis said:

There is a descriptive theory of the progression of great creative artists that sees the progression in three stages.  The first is imitative, when the artist emulates those already established.  Then comes the inventive state where the artist moves the art forward.  Finally the transcendent stage, and few artists achieve this stage, when his art becomes almost meditative and where he quite simply moves beyond the very limits of his art.  Beethoven achieved it, as did Sibelius and Mahler (dealing with composers as music is the type of art I know best).  In some ways :Yuzu has done the same.  His skating has become in some ways meditative, contemplative, which should not be seen as being emotionless.  Otonal of recent programs shows it best, with Origin close behind.  He was moving toward it with Seimei and HL.  Masquerade was in some ways a farewell to that strand of his skating that was highly dramatic (RJ1 and POTO).  What comes next?  I really don't know but Yuzu's skating is not so much skating but he's on the ice now singing with his blades and body.  It can't get any better than that.

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:

This is a bit OT, but one of my most important lessons at school :offtopic2:

Reveal hidden contents

In one of my first art lessons in middle school our teacher held up an apple and asked the following question: "What color is this apple?"

We felt a bit trolled and someone murmured hesitantly: "... red...?!"

Our teacher opened a very simple black line drawing of an apple in Photoshop and used the monochrome red filling tool on it. Everyone chuckled about the result.

"Well, this is a pretty high degree of abstraction, right?" [she chuckled herself, too]

Then she asked us to come a bit closer and observe the apple more carefully. After 15 minutes it appeared not only red but white, pink, brown, black and pretty much every color in between, depending on the light source, our position, the apple's position... In sunglasses it looked darker, outside the building brighter, from a color-blind person's point of view different again...

Finally our teacher said:

"The best artists in the world are the best observers of their surrounding. The better you project and the less you abstract, the more your artwork will be appreciated by your recipients. Keep that in mind, when you paint a picture, create a sculpture, compose a music piece or dance a choreography."

This is what Yuzu does, too. Observe top skaters carefully and project their skills (stage 1). Then he incorporates those skills and makes them his own (stage 2) and finally he recomposes them to something new (stage 3). I agree with you that he has even reached some kind of transcendent stage now. It's the fusion of figure skating history and the unique signature of Yuzuru Hanyu.

Simon Reed of British Eurosport says the same thing at 3:17 of the 2018 Rostelecom Cup SP video:  "It's got to the stage now, where he almost transcends the sport..."

If only the judges would recognize his transcendence...

Off-topic, but did you guys know that Simon Reed, the main commentator – "a triple axel out of nowhere" – of British Eurosport was an actor?

Not only does he share that distinction of having been an actor with our Yuzu, Simon is apparently known for having starred in a movie called, "Ninja, The Violent Sorcerer" and he captained the (Teddington) Cricket Club.

He is the brother of deceased actor Oliver Reed whose last role was "Proxima" in the movie "Gladiator" (2000) with Russell Crowe.

Proximo: "I was not the best because I killed quickly... I was the best because the crowd loved me..."

Maximus: "I will win the crowd... I will give them something they have never seen before."

The context may be different, but the words certainly apply to Yuzu, particularly those of Maximus.

Yuzu is our gladiator on ice.

Unfortunately, Oliver Reed died of a heart attack during the making of "Gladiator" and the director, Ridley Scott, had to use CGI to finish the movie.

Hace 14 horas, Yuzurella said:

BlueFlame for Yuzu put up a subtitled version of Yuzu's visit at the skating rink in Hokkaido! :heartpound:

I totally started bawling when Yuzu put his Olympic gold medal around Mami-sensei's neck. It was so touching and emotional.

It’s wonderful how Yuzu’s so supportive of other people. And he always remembers those people who have supported him and shows them his gratitude. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

The last minute is tearing me :sadPooh:

12 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

The conjunction of Yuzu's ascendance as a skater and the Great Japan Earthquake -- or rather how he responded to that cataclysm -- will define his whole life.  Because Japan is so subject to quakes, he will be called on every few years to bring hope and comfort to another group of traumatized survivors in another devastated region. What must it be like at 24 to look ahead to that kind of reality? The responsibility must sometimes be crushing. 

I know Yuzu's family has raised him to understand how lucky he is -- and in many ways he's been extravagantly blessed. But I can understand why, when asked whether, given a chance at another life, he would come back as Yuzuru Hanyu or someone else, he said someone else. 

A small side note: It jumped out at me in the video of his exchange with Mami-sensei that he giggled as he acknowledged his ongoing suffering, which she had pointed out. I've noticed he also giggles when voicing emotions that might, to some degree, cut against Japanese norms, like his extreme individual competitiveness. Sort of puts a whole different spin on his giggly-ness, which is one of his most endearing qualities. Part of what defines him is the courage stay close to his pain and, sometimes, to go against the grain of a very powerful culture. 

Another confirmation that his greatness as a skater reflects his greatness as a human being. 

End of sermon (for now). 

:cri:

Of course, I realized the experience of the earthquake will always be with him, but your words bring home the ENORMITY of his future responsibility, year after year, to comfort survivors, feeling fresher pain. And he is such an empathetic guy, he takes on that pain and I'm sure it awakens his own pain that might otherwise recede more in the background over time (perhaps). Things like the People's Honor award just makes it more inevitable that this particular kind of public service will always be his responsibility.

He is such an amazing young man! So incredibly strong!

:softYuzu:

7 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I'm really curious, how many skaters are out there, who could deliver Yuzu's full list of senior music pieces from Zigeunerweisen to Masquerade...  :muahaha:

My bet:

1. Everyone, who might shine with Chopin Ballade No. 1, would terribly fail with Seimei. Those, who could rock LGC, wouldn't have a clue what to do with H&L (and so on).

2. Yuzu could make something great of every program from any other skater, if he had to (as we could see in multiple practice sessions already).

PS: I prefer a polished, high quality recycling over an unfinished, sloppy new program anytime.

I think it would go a little differently than that. Most would either struggle with the technical aspects or have to re-work the program to fit their capabilities. There are extremely few who could deliver the programs verbatim from a technical standpoint. 

On the second point, though - there are definitely programs for which Yuzu is not suited. That's not to say that he couldn't do them, but try and picture him doing Man of La Mancha, for example. Or any of the Russian programs. Or even Nemesis. They're just not Yuzu. From a technical standpoint he probably wouldn't have trouble, and artistically I know he'd try his utmost, and it would be ...something... but I don't think he could inhabit them the way he does a Seimei or a PW.

38 minutes ago, BrightonDogwoods said:

Of course, I realized the experience of the earthquake will always be with him, but your words bring home the ENORMITY of his future responsibility, year after year, to comfort survivors, feeling fresher pain. And he is such an empathetic guy, he takes on that pain and I'm sure it awakens his own pain that might otherwise recede more in the background over time (perhaps). Things like the People's Honor award just makes it more inevitable that this particular kind of public service will always be his responsibility.

He is such an amazing young man! So incredibly strong!

:softYuzu:

But....I wonder if he sees it in those terms. While I'm not terribly familiar with every single aspect of Japanese culture, this idea of doing whatever you can to help the community seems to be very ingrained. It could be that he doesn't see it as anything more than that. 

On 8/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, Kat said:

for the upcoming season, what are some elements you want to see Yuzuru incorporate? In a dream program, I mean.

Personally, I would love to see another delayed single axel incorporated somehow-into a competition program, not just a gala performance. His axels are beautiful 😍

:peekapooh:

Spoiler

Am I allowed to say.... Quad Axel?

And this means Yuzu will fulfill his dream! 

:cri:

On 8/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, Kat said:

Ya know...and I'm sorry, because im sure this has been asked countless times before, but for the upcoming season, what are some elements you want to see Yuzuru incorporate? In a dream program, I mean.

Personally, I would love to see another delayed single axel incorporated somehow-into a competition program, not just a gala performance. His axels are beautiful 😍

Spoiler

I love his axels! 

If he was an anime character, I would wish for delayed quad axel. :angel3-smiley:  It would be breathtaking.

But he is not, so I am going to settle with "only" simple quad axel.

:darklordyuzu:

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think it would go a little differently than that. Most would either struggle with the technical aspects or have to re-work the program to fit their capabilities. There are extremely few who could deliver the programs verbatim from a technical standpoint. 

On the second point, though - there are definitely programs for which Yuzu is not suited. That's not to say that he couldn't do them, but try and picture him doing Man of La Mancha, for example. Or any of the Russian programs. Or even Nemesis. They're just not Yuzu. From a technical standpoint he probably wouldn't have trouble, and artistically I know he'd try his utmost, and it would be ...something... but I don't think he could inhabit them the way he does a Seimei or a PW.

I'm not sure those are the first examples I'd think of as programs for which Yuzu is not suited. I have Man of La Mancha as the Javi version too well imprinted in my mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzu could make it work, because the subject of it isn't really one he's not familiar with. I can't really speak of the others as I'm not sure which Russian programs you mean and I haven't watched or listened to Nemesis enough to get an impression. What I think Yuzu is not suited to is comedy programs. He could maybe make them work, because he is a funny guy, but I don't think it would really be him. Because while he is funny, he's not really goofy and his sense of humor isn't really a typical one lol (or at least so it seems at times). I can't really imagine Yuzu doing Chaplin or a pretend-drunk program a la Pirates of the Carribean or any other funny program I can think of. Also, I think skating tends to be more an expression of the darker side of him, that he doesn't really get to express otherwise, which might be why more serious programs fit him more - and why even apparently fun programs like Zankoku tenshi turn really intense and kind of dark with him. That said, I also kind of hope he doesn't take on any of the more popular modern songs, because a lot of them are so... gray and depressing without really appearing to be deep enough for him.

And since there are confessions going around, I have one of my own :P

Spoiler

After watching Alina's Carmen Fantasy at FaOI for six painful times, I really wish Yuzu would some day skate to that. I know it's a warhorse, but I do love the music and I think it would be a nice challenge for it and he'd do a great job with it. It would also help erase the memory of that painful program. I like Alina, I really do, but that program is awful and no way was it worth it of an Olympic Champion. Even my friend, who watches FS just for fun agreed it was a disappointment. (And especially after reading somewhere that they gave Alina this program with the thought that 'nobody would dare skate to it anymore after Alina, the Olympic Champion, did!' I really want someone to skate to it and show how it REALLY should be done and who better to do so than the GOAT himself? :P Although, I suspect they mean lady skaters, but still :P Oh, I'd be fine with it in an ice show, too, doesn't have to be competitive, though competitive would be sweeter.:devilYuzu:

3 часа назад, KatjaThera сказал:

That said, I also kind of hope he doesn't take on any of the more popular modern songs, because a lot of them are so... gray and depressing without really appearing to be deep enough for him.

With more and more programs announcements I find that I miss some good classics even if it was already used. I think Yuzu can do justice to some famous classical pieces.

And yes I don't see him in comedy style too.

I think if he really wanted he could do something goofy...maybe not something like superjavi but more subtle?although of course he seems to prefer more dramatic piece of skating and i surely don't complain!

Spoiler

Change came up in my youtube list again,i'd love to see something like that carefree and a little bit wild...also that step sequence :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

5 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I'm not sure those are the first examples I'd think of as programs for which Yuzu is not suited. I have Man of La Mancha as the Javi version too well imprinted in my mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzu could make it work, because the subject of it isn't really one he's not familiar with. I can't really speak of the others as I'm not sure which Russian programs you mean and I haven't watched or listened to Nemesis enough to get an impression. What I think Yuzu is not suited to is comedy programs. He could maybe make them work, because he is a funny guy, but I don't think it would really be him. Because while he is funny, he's not really goofy and his sense of humor isn't really a typical one lol (or at least so it seems at times). I can't really imagine Yuzu doing Chaplin or a pretend-drunk program a la Pirates of the Carribean or any other funny program I can think of. Also, I think skating tends to be more an expression of the darker side of him, that he doesn't really get to express otherwise, which might be why more serious programs fit him more - and why even apparently fun programs like Zankoku tenshi turn really intense and kind of dark with him. That said, I also kind of hope he doesn't take on any of the more popular modern songs, because a lot of them are so... gray and depressing without really appearing to be deep enough for him.

And since there are confessions going around, I have one of my own :P

Hide contents

After watching Alina's Carmen Fantasy at FaOI for six painful times, I really wish Yuzu would some day skate to that. I know it's a warhorse, but I do love the music and I think it would be a nice challenge for it and he'd do a great job with it. It would also help erase the memory of that painful program. I like Alina, I really do, but that program is awful and no way was it worth it of an Olympic Champion. Even my friend, who watches FS just for fun agreed it was a disappointment. (And especially after reading somewhere that they gave Alina this program with the thought that 'nobody would dare skate to it anymore after Alina, the Olympic Champion, did!' I really want someone to skate to it and show how it REALLY should be done and who better to do so than the GOAT himself? :P Although, I suspect they mean lady skaters, but still :P Oh, I'd be fine with it in an ice show, too, doesn't have to be competitive, though competitive would be sweeter.:devilYuzu:

Spoiler

Since we are talking about doing other skaters' programs verbatim, and not just using the music for a new program, Alina's Carmen is actually one of those Russian programs even Yuzu couldn't do anything with. As is her POTO. In general, I find the Russian skaters have a rather florid style that is almost the antithesis of Yuzu, his reverence for Plushy notwithstanding. 

I honestly can't picture Yuzu doing Carmen. I think that if he tried, it would come across as unintentionally funny. It's so arch, so staged, whereas he's all about putting forth authenticity.  I agree with you that clowny-type programs wouldn't suit him either. He'd never be a Pumpkin King.

As for modern songs, he seems to be a straight-up rocker in his preferences anyway, so I don't see him doing anything too bleak or emo. If he ever decided to do a show with all rock covers, that's something I could get behind. It would be spectacular. 

18 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:
  Hide contents

Since we are talking about doing other skaters' programs verbatim, and not just using the music for a new program, Alina's Carmen is actually one of those Russian programs even Yuzu couldn't do anything with. As is her POTO. In general, I find the Russians skaters have a rather florid style that is almost the antithesis of Yuzu. 

I honestly can't picture Yuzu doing Carmen. I think that if he tried, it would come across as unintentionally funny. It's so arch, so staged, whereas he's all about putting forth authenticity.  I agree with you that clowny-type programs wouldn't suit him either. He'd never be a Pumpkin King

Spoiler

Oh, I missed the verbatim part. If a program has bad choreo - see Carmen and POTO, actually - IMO, there's nothing much any skater can do, unless, of course, they start changing the choreo. That's why I don't blame Alina for those programs, I blame her team. I think Yuzu would start changing the choreo, but if that's not the topic, then I agree. Personally I was thinking, especially in the case of Carmen Fantasy, just of re-using the music, though (because I love the music so much and I so hate what they did with it). But, I think Yuzu would rather choreo the whole thing himself, rather than skate it as it is... Well, as long as he could polite about it.

I'm not sure it'd be that impossible. He is dramatic, and even if in his case it's more genuine and authentic, I think his drama could fit Carmen... But I'm not sure he'd ever go there. He might be more interested in exploring music other skaters haven't tried yet... (Or he could do POTO again, he sure has been miming masks all Summer...)

And is this the first day in quite a while when we had nothing new Yuzu?? Is he going to let us dry out before flooding us at ACI? (I just got a mail from Booking reminding me I check into my hotel in 14 days and my reaction was along the lines of this: :knc_yuzu1: Only 14 days?! )

2 hours ago, KatjaThera said:
  Reveal hidden contents

And is this the first day in quite a while when we had nothing new Yuzu?? Is he going to let us dry out before flooding us at ACI? (I just got a mail from Booking reminding me I check into my hotel in 14 days and my reaction was along the lines of this: :knc_yuzu1: Only 14 days?! )

Four...fourteen???!!! *gulp*