General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, fyere0 said:

I deeply want Yuzu to do a quint and then sit there in the K&C looking smug, with Brian and Ghislain facepalming on either side of him, for twenty minutes as the judges and tech panel argue over how they're supposed to score something that is fully rotated, technically correct according to the list of acceptable jump takeoffs, but isn't in the book. And whoever comes after him getting an extra long warmup.

That would be so much fun! But you know, as a physicist I'm with Shoma on this one: I don't believe quints are possible. Or at the very least, they're not possible to fit into a program. Think about the speed you'd have to have going into one in order to get the angular momentum to complete all five rotations. You'd need, at a minimum, a full length/ circuit of the rink in crossovers to get up to that speed. How do you make that work in a program? Especially a Yuzu program? 

If someone ever does manage a quint, IMO the first place we'll see it is as a one-off stunt at an iceshow.

I expect an Evgenia-Alina situation between Nathan and Vincent soon, especially because despite everything, Nathan seems to be working to improve certain things. The recent outing of his SP, his setup for his 3A looked like he'd been working on shortening it and even if he had a hand down, I like what it says about him. He gets the GOEs with a setup from Pluto now, the only reason he's working on it is because he wants to be better. Now whether that translates to competition, we'll see. Either way, his PCS and GOE will hit the ceiling this season because there won't be anywhere left to go. Vincent's jumps have more prerotation so he could conceivably get his edge jumps stablilised as far as landing is concerned. And he's only going to college one semester, he's got more time for training. It could very well end in Vincent having a BV advantage over Nathan and his PCS and GOE being pushed just as high.

Yuzu is the monkey wrench in those plans USFSA have, they must be pulling their hair out screeching 'What will it take for you to retire!!' But the thing I find most encouraging is that Yuzu managed to make his 4Lz axis so much better. Somehow I feel like he crossed one big hurdle standing between him and the rest of the toe jumps. I'm crossing everything and looking up every way to send good health and good fortune to him because with that, he will be the one with the BV advantage. Unless he takes a whole season off, they won't Chiddy his PCS. He will have to go above and beyond his competition to get what they get and he'll have to become even better than he is now to beat them, but you know what? If there is anybody in this universe who can do it, and who will work hard AND smart to do it, who is analytical enough about technique, the politics and his own condition to do it, it's Our Overlord Trollzuru.

If he's calculated that to do it, he needs to keep his old programmes? We'll be right behind him every step of the way, cheering him on to do everything he wants to do. And we'll sit on anybody who recycles their tired old nonsense criticisms about his recycling. If their faves are so lacking in depth that they perform a programme as good as they can possibly do it on its fourth outing, that's a them problem, not an us problem. We'll wait for the Origin, and even the Otonal, that he sees himself performing. We'll be well rewarded when he does it. 

12 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Oh did u mean 300 instead of 340? 340 seems kinda high for total combination score without GOE

EDIT: I decided to put this comment into spoilers, because I don't want to destroy the good mood :laughing:

Spoiler

I want to be honest: my perception of ISU judges has been irreparably damaged at WTT 2019. From now on I will expect the absolute worst to happen in every competition, e.g. US Nat scores in international competitions (Nathan with 5 quads scoring 340 sounds not that unrealistic anymore). If the panels decide to score a bit fairer than expected, it's a reason to celebrate for me already.

Gomen for the extreme negativity, but that's how I feel about scoring at the moment. It's a pity... :13877886:

PS: The scores in that post were jokes of course. 167 BV is not even possible with the current repetition rules. It's so sad to even calculate such mad scores actually...

To be honest the best time to introduce a quint for Yuzu is after he retires from full time competitive skating,  because right now it is not worth it if it has no known mark. After retirement, he can train it at his pace and when it is ready,  just enter himself into some international challenger event whose results are recognised by the ISU, but he does not need to commit himself to a full season. That way he can build a program that is choreographically supportive of the quint (or maybe even more than one for more opportunity to succeed), jump it and get his name down in history as the first to land it. He can simply just do one quint, one quad and the rest triples if it makes the success rate higher (in a lot of these challengers, two landed quads is all you need to win)  But since he is retired, what total marks he gets doesn't really matter anymore.  

@Henni147 I feel the same but on the other hand Yuzu is a strategic genius who experienced for himself the corrupt/incompetent judging of the past season and still decided it was worth it to continue. So, while I have no faith in judges I have an endless amount of faith in him.

I also just really don’t want to be stuck in a depressing swamp and blind faith is more fun. :snpeace:

11 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

@Henni147 I feel the same but on the other hand Yuzu is a strategic genius who experienced for himself the corrupt/incompetent judging of the past season and still decided it was worth it to continue. So, while I have no faith in judges I have an endless amount of faith in him.

I also just really don’t want to be stuck in a depressing swamp and blind faith is more fun. :snpeace:

Agree, agree and agree.

Thank you for this positive and healing comment :1497158260_5GOE:

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

EDIT: I decided to put this comment into spoilers, because I don't want to destroy the good mood :laughing:

Reveal hidden contents

I want to be honest: my perception of ISU judges has been irreparably damaged at WTT 2019. From now on I will expect the absolute worst to happen in every competition, e.g. US Nat scores in international competitions (Nathan with 5 quads scoring 340 sounds not that unrealistic anymore). If the panels decide to score a bit fairer than expected, it's a reason to celebrate for me already.

Gomen for the extreme negativity, but that's how I feel about scoring at the moment. It's a pity... :13877886:

PS: The scores in that post were jokes of course. 167 BV is not even possible with the current repetition rules. It's so sad to even calculate such mad scores actually...

Spoiler

oh okay I thought you meant 300 because 167 + 53 + 40 + 40 = 300 but i see what you mean. haha

3 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

(We should all do that at the same time, synchronised, and maybe it'll be seared into the judges' brains forever too.)

I think the time has come to drop this:

Spoiler

The Ten Skating Commandments

1. You shall have no other GOATs before Yuzuru Hanyu.
  2. You shall not make for yourself a biased image.
  3. You shall not take the name of your GOAT in vain.
  4. Remember the Media Day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor the legends and greats of the sport.
  6. You shall not murder figure skating with ridiculous judging.
  7. You shall not stir up hate on social media.
  8. You shall not rob skaters of their scores and placements.
  9. You shall not spread any lies and narratives.
  10. You shall not covet your neighbor's fan-banner in the arena.

1 minute ago, Henni147 said:

I think the time has come to drop this:

Hide contents

The Ten Skating Commandments

1. You shall have no other GOATs before Yuzuru Hanyu.
  2. You shall not make for yourself a biased image.
  3. You shall not take the name of your GOAT in vain.
  4. Remember the Media Day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor the ledends and greats of the sport.
  6. You shall not murder figure skating with ridiculous judging.
  7. You shall not stir up hate on social media.
  8. You shall not rob skaters of their scores and placements.
  9. You shall not spread any lies and narratives.
  10. You shall not covet your neighbor's fan-banner in the arena.

I'm :rofl: at no.10 there.

5 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Honestly, Yuzu is THE genius in this game. He has the ability to get even the most salty judges in a situation, when they don't have another option but to press that +points button.

I have faith!

:hachimaki:

(Edit: And this statement seems to be appropriate for my 2000th post. Amen.)