General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Now that I think about it... There was a veeeery little chance that both win gold in PyeongChang, but Yuzu and Javi would have needed exactly the same score in both SP and FS. This is extremely rare... Okay, their friendship is one of a kind, too. So it would have been symbolic somehow, aye?

However. It's great as it is.

No, they have tiebreakers for this kind of thing! Either the TES or PCS gets used (I don't rememeber which...)

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

No, they have tiebreakers for this kind of thing! Either the TES or PCS gets used (I don't rememeber which...)

1 hour ago, Fay said:

TES in the SP, PCS in the FP. 

Oh thank you, didn't know that. What would happen, if all scores and other stats are the same? (Not that this will ever happen... :laughing: )

To be honest: If two skaters have exactly the same score, they both deserve the gold. In many other sports it's no problem either to award two gold medals and figure skating is a sport, where you can only win one Olympic medal in four years (maybe two, if you have a strong fed in the team event behind you).

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

In many other sports it's no problem either to award two gold medals 

Sorry for off-topic, but which sport has awarded 2 gold medals at Olympics? I remember watching Sochi speed skating when the ogm won by 0.003 second and thinking that this should be within technology error margin and that there should have been 2 gold medals.

21 hours ago, fyere0 said:

I adore how this artist's 4A has been aging progressively. Last year he was in the womb! Then he was a little squishy with a pacifier. Then he started crawling. Now he's walking and eating with a fork! Soon he'll be telling Yuzu he doesn't underSTAND, and WHY can't I stay out past curfew with 4F do you not TRUST us, and leave me ALONE, GOD, I'm SO SICK of this RINK, and YOU CAN'T GROUND ME, I'M ALMOST A QUINT.

We have to hope this is happening now and 4A will be over that phase by the time competitions start. :laughing:

I came across this family album with little 4A's development. This is adorable! :softYuzu:

And Yuzu as a single dad! :LOL:

24 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Sorry for off-topic, but which sport has awarded 2 gold medals at Olympics? I remember watching Sochi speed skating when the ogm won by 0.003 second and thinking that this should be within technology error margin and that there should have been 2 gold medals.

Swimming has on multiple occasions.

Most recently in Rio there were two Gold medals in the Women's 100m free (Manuel (USA) and Oleksiak (Can). Also in Rio there were three silver medalists in the Mens 100m fly.

Of course there's no real way to tie break races like there is with figure skating.

18 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

I remember at Pyeongchang there was a gold tie for one of the bobsled events, between the Canadians and the Germans - they had identical times which was pretty crazy! It's happened in skiing as well.

Then of course there was the mess with Sale/Pelletier and Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze...

3 hours ago, Moria Polonius said:

:offtopic2:

There were 38 gold medal ties so far at the Olympics, 29 at the Summer Games, other 8 at the Winter Olympics. Most of the time in gymnastics, sometimes in swimming at the Summer Games, and it happened in different sports in winter sports, including luge, bobsleigh, alpine skiing etc and once in figure skating too.

(Today I read a story about a swimmer who lost the Olympic gold by 0.001 second in 1988 - imagine that! At that time it wasn't a tie, but it'd be today because times are measured to only two decimal places these days)

In FS, it's clear if there's a tie in SP or FS, then TES and PCS counts, but it's more complicated if the total score is the same:

Spoiler

b)In cases of ties after the Final Score the Skater/Pair/Couple with the highest score for the last skated Segment is placed first etc. If there is a tie in the highest score, the better placement will decide the better place. In Ice Dance, if two Pattern Dances are to be skated, both dances are even in value. There are no tiebreaking criteria.

c) If there is a tie for this Segment, the placement of the previously skated Segment will count for the better place etc. If there is no previous Segment, Skaters/Pairs/Couples are tied.

The mathematical chance for any ties in fs is very low though, it was already a big surprise that Zagitova and Medvedeva had the same score in the free skate...but a chance for a total score tie, especially for medalists is like 0?

1 hour ago, Nighticeswan said:

Do you all ever wonder what Plushenko told Yuzuru after Worlds was over? The thing that was Yuzuru's one weakness?

I don't know what it could be. Only Yuzu knows it :)