General Yuzuru Chat

25 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

Sunday? If that is true then at least we can still have yuzu broadcast party even if its not FaOI Niigata :10636614:

Yes please :kitty:

6 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

I'd love one, too!

4 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Do you even have to ask? How else can we survive the off-season? :kitty:

Ok, I'll set up the thread later :) (it's sleepy time for your friendly neighborhood hydroblade)

gladi tried to make sleepy time happen D: but failed. :13877886:here you go. :10636614:

2 minutes ago, gladi said:

Yuzuru gave an interview after the 3-day Makuhari run of Fantasy on Ice, published in the pamphlet of FaOI in KOBE. He talks about Chopin Ballade No.1, his short program for the upcoming Olympic season, as continuation and culmination of everything he’s learned from figure skating; his concept of live performance and ichi go ichi e (一期一会); and shares his thoughts about what an ice show and its audience mean to him (aw :’)).

Translated by gladi, feel free to repost with credits. Original scans thanks to Frances.

================================================

Fantasy on Ice in KOBE Pamphlet: Yuzuru Hanyu Special Interview 

Interview・Toshimi Oriyama

“In order to show the best performance at Fantasy on Ice, always keeping ‘this is the real thing!’ in spirit and in mind"

For Yuzuru Hanyu, who hadn’t been able to participate last year due to injuries, it has been two years since his last Fantasy On Ice. Landing a 4T right off the bat and more at the opening show in Makuhari, he radiated exuberance as he threw heart and soul into his performance.

––––    It’s been two years since you were last in an ice show. It felt as if you wanted to make up for the loss of last year in enjoying the show.

YH      There is also the feeling of wanting to enjoy the ice show, but the feeling of “wanting to do the best I am able to” is really strong at the moment. The 3A from Ina Bauer during the Finale was because Jeff said to me, “Do an Ina Bauer” and then, “You can transition directly into a 3A, right?” But he didn’t say anything about the opening, so I wondered what was the best thing I could do, and 4T was something I could do with almost no preparation. For Choo Choo Train too, there were no instructions apart from “Do a trick.” It was such an opportunity for the artists to be present and performing live––and just for 3 days too––so I thought I should try to reference EXILE’s choreography. After having performed to a variety of pieces like Let’s Go Crazy and others, I’ve come to learn different ways of using (expressing) the music, and it would be great if I could display all of these things.

––––    Back in April, you’ve mentioned that you’d like to start training right away. But how’s your body condition?

YH      It’s a world of difference compared to last year, but I also can’t say that everything is great. It is the off season after all, and I think it’s necessary to vary the pace a little. Also, although I am only doing one program this time, my body bears a heavy burden from doing the short program. But, the staff has been doing their best to support me in many ways and to help with physical conditioning, so I have been doing all right. I’ve only had to focus my attention on my own performance.

––––    Your act was Chopin’s Ballade No. 1 in G Minor, also the short program for next season. There were mistakes with the 4Lo on the first two days, but the third day you gave a clean performance.

YH       The Loop jump is an edge jump and not a great fit for show-sized rinks. The Toe Loop is a toe jump, and there are possibilities for slight adjustments after takeoff with the toe pick. Whereas the 4Lo is an edge jump that I’ve only done for one season so far, so it’s hard to do in a narrow rink. I struggled a lot with the entry, but finally managed to execute it properly.

––––    After watching the act, I think I sensed more strength from your performance compared to the old Ballade.

YH      My impression after attempting the program with 4Lo is that, the sense of power in the current layout of Ballade is very much derived from the 4T・3T added before the second half step sequence. Whereas for the layout of two quads in the first half since the NHK Trophy, I liked the music during the steps and spins very much and a lot can be expressed there. The current program isn’t quite there yet in comparison, but the 3A gives off an airy “fuwa“ vibe and melts into the music, and the 4T combo has also become a jump that better matches the musical notes. In this sense, I really feel that the range of my expression has broadened. There are yet a lot to improve on the spins; I’m still considering new choreographic hand movements and I’ll be trying various things. As for the second half jump, and the flow of the part in the beginning with spread eagle going into the Loop, transitioning into an Ina Bauer, and so forth––those too I’m looking to polish and refine from hereon.

––––    What is the reason for choosing this piece again for the Olympics season?

YH      I wavered quite a bit in choosing Ballade. Honestly, it’s not that I didn’t have the sense of “what’s up with doing the same program for a third season!” and it’s not that I’d never considered carrying Let’s Go Crazy over from the last season. Nevertheless, I’ve always had the desire to skate to Ballade No.1 once again… Besides, the free skate from last season did not have clear, set emotions as a theme. Rather, the concept was to throw myself naturally "into the flow of my own thoughts and feelings.” And then, “this was what I’ve been wanting to accomplish!”––because I was able to give such a performance at the World Championships, I thought, “With this, I can make an even better Ballade No.1." I think many different interpretations of Ballade No. 1 are possible. There are also my own ways of putting the program together and my own style of expression, possible only because of this piece. I feel that things that have thus far been in the fog are now solidifying, coming together, and I think that I want to do a Ballade that is possible only now, built upon the past three years.

––––    It gives a different impression compared to the previous Ballade No.1.

YH      The choreography has been changing bit by bit––of course, this is just the show version and not in its final form––but there’s a sense that “this is already a completely different thing.” When I skated to this program for the first time after the Sochi Olympic season, 4T was in the second half and the beginning 3A was also done with a spread eagle entry and a spread eagle exit. I think there are things that are similar to what I wanted to express back then. There was also the image of Ballade No.1 that Jeff had in mind, and also an image that I had in mind. I have the feeling that my skills and technique have caught up to a point where all of those are finally connected and coming into shape.

––––    You have the thought of wanting to express different things particularly because it is the same piece.

YH      Well, of course. But the way of trying to grasp many things and then giving them up is probably no good for me. Deciding on “it” and giving my everything to push ahead on the path, I am able to consider a variety of things and bring out many different forms of myself. Conversely, there are such thoughts as “this program has been done, can’t be it” or “this program is doable, can’t be it.” Up until now, I’ve done programs such as Vertigo, Hello, I Love You and so forth, and then I’ve also done things like Swan and SEIMEI. I’ve also skated to Jazz before, so there is a variety that I can do. But, just like a singer, every live performance is completely different. I, too, believe myself capable of bringing completely different expressions each and every single time. Therefore, “if I were to focus on [bringing out] these differences, wouldn’t it become an even better thing?”––that is what I’ve come to grasp with Ballade No. 1.

––––    In the past, you’ve said that ice shows don’t leave a visual record and that such a platform has a particular sense of "ichi-go ichi-e” (each encounter is to be cherished as unique and once in a lifetime). So you meant that you want to make your program one that is different each and every single time throughout the season, and that touches [people] in a different way each and every single time.

YH      That is the case. I've felt so especially with the free skate from last year. The short program, Let’s Go Crazy, was also [quite] a live performance, so of course the audience reacted differently, I varied my treatment and did many things ad lib. But what left the strongest impression on me with the free skate last season was this persisting sense of “I’m performing in a completely different atmosphere.” So for Ballade No.1, [the point] isn’t doing it for three seasons straight but rather, as I've said earlier, I feel strongly “because there was the last season, that there is a different Ballade No.1 this season.” I have really learned a lot from the last season.

––––    This program can be said to be the fruit of the past three seasons after Sochi Olympics?

YH      Not only the past three seasons, but I’ve brought forth everything I have come to grasp from when I was young and incorporated it into this program. Indeed, I’ve listened to this piece an inordinate number of times; because I’ve skated to it for two seasons, I’ve gotten to know this piece to a completely different degree and it is a part of me, and I can skate what I innately feel. I think this is such a program that I can express as I feel, and jump as I feel.

––––    Exactly because you’ve painted such a world through your free skate performance in the World Championships, that you are able to move onto the next stage.

YH      Yes, that’s it. And about the second half 4+3, although what I executed was 4T+1Lo+3S at the World Team Trophy, that has really helped built my confidence in the Toe Loop. When considering the 4T success rate of last season, thanks to the fact that I wasn’t quite able to land the 4S+3T, I had the consciousness of wanting to land the 4T at any cost. And when I did land the Salchow, I realized that, at some point, I had built up confidence such that “the Toe Loop is stable so it is going to be fine.” That’s why I think I am able to maintain that confidence throughout this season as well. But I’ve also thought a lot and done various calculations about the short program layout. For example, how much more is it if I did the 4S+3T in the second half, how many variations are there if I stabilize the 4Lo and the 4S, and so forth. After thorough consideration, I came to the conclusion that the 4T combo would be the best choice.

––––    We can also see in this year’s Fantasy on Ice, through a different performance of Ballade No.1 each time, how you progress and build up towards the season.

YH      Because it is critical to get used to the new program through many performances, Fantasy on Ice also has its role as training grounds to me. The same period last year, I was truly unable to do anything and it was rough. Whereas another season back, I’d landed the 4Lo at FaOI, which led me to the decision of “well, let’s put it into a program.”  But, ice shows are both a place for everyone to enjoy, and also a platform where I can bring forth the fruits of my labor and training. I would like it to be a stage where, amongst a variety of music, opening numbers, and finales, one can show off––“I can even do this!” And above all, our audience came to us despite the extremely low odds of getting their hands on a ticket. In order to show them the best performance possible, I've always been performing with the feeling that “this is the real thing!" in mind. Through such earnestness, or rather, such emotions poured into the performance, I’d like to make this a show where the audience could say, “I’m glad I came!”

––––    The act itself of performing with such feelings could be a good experience towards preparation for competitions.

YH      It really was a great experience for me. The nervousness, the many negative conditions such as rinks that are clearly not for competition and so forth––I think all these are important experiences. But what we must impress upon ourselves, is that “this is not practice!” (laughs) Even in Makuhari, there were those who say “I came from Miyagi!” “I came from Iwate”––people who decided they wanted to come and watch even though they are from faraway––and those who say they wanted to watch however many times. There were even people in the audience who were sat so far that we couldn't see their faces and yet, were waving banners for us. For these people, even if just a little, I’d like to be able to communicate my feelings and my desire “to connect”––something that has come to be very important to me since last year. To send my emotions and the feelings that guide me to every nook and corner of the arena––I hope to embark on this run of Fantasy on Ice with this sentiment in mind.

Remember the ema Yuzu wrote on when he visited Seimei Shrine this month? It was supposed to be hung up and revealed a week later. A Chinese fan was able to visit the shrine and take a photo of Yuzu's ema.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610393525875114/permalink/1915017758746021/

(From the YHIFG FB page:)

Yuzu went to Seimei Jinja on 4 June 2017. A fan from China went to the Jinja today and took the photo of his latest written Ema. She felt very happy to be able to bring his thoughts back home.

Yuzu's message on the Ema:
I hope I can do the performance I picture/imagine.
And I wish happiness will come to everyone as a result of my performance.
https://twitter.com/bokuken_/status/874087154988728320

1 minute ago, katonice said:

Remember the ema Yuzu wrote on when he visited Seimei Shrine this month? It was supposed to be hung up and revealed a week later. A Chinese fan was able to visit the shrine and take a photo of Yuzu's ema.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610393525875114/permalink/1915017758746021/

(From the YHIFG FB page:)

Aww bb yuzu :10636614:

And here we thought that he was going to reveal that he's doing seimei 2.0 :rofl:

1 hour ago, Hydroblade said:

Ok, I'll set up the thread later :) (it's sleepy time for your friendly neighborhood hydroblade)

Yaay I'm ready to do nothing but sits in front of laptop all day next sunday :68556365:

1 hour ago, gladi said:

gladi tried to make sleepy time happen D: but failed. :13877886:here you go. :10636614:

Thankyou for the endless hard work gladi! :loveshower::7938863::7938863::smiley-happy105:

32 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

Aww bb yuzu :10636614:

And here we thought that he was going to reveal that he's doing seimei 2.0 :rofl:

cause it's a freaking seimei shrine and he hides the ema lol I knew he was trolling us :winky:

1 hour ago, gladi said:

There were even people in the audience who were sat so far that we couldn't see their faces and yet, were waving banners for us. For these people, even if just a little, I’d like to be able to communicate my feelings and my desire “to connect”––something that has come to be very important to me since last year. To send my emotions and the feelings that guide me to every nook and corner of the arena––I hope to embark on this run of Fantasy on Ice with this sentiment in mind.

:POOH:

:sadPooh: