General Yuzuru Chat

The only one of those competitions where Yuzu's participation has been announced by the ISU is Skate Canada, and that's the ISU assigning him there. There hasn't been any official announcement yet by the JSF or Yuzu as to which competitions he'll do. 

41 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I just saw the competition schedule for the next season:

Sep 12-14 Autumn Classic

Oct 03-05 Shanghai Trophy

Oct 25-27 Skate Canada GP

I wonder, which competitions Yuzu will attend this year. I don't think that he will do both ACI and ST, but only one of them to test his new program layouts (and maybe new programs).

He's invited to the Shanghai Trophy, but those three weeks break before SC might be too short, aye? However, if Yuzu doesn't go and Nathan does, this could fuel negative and unncessary narratives again...:13877886: How do you think about this?

Don't worry, it won't fuel any negative narratives -  Nathan won't be there either because he will compete at Japan Open the same weekend.

It was a polite invitation from Shanghai Trophy but no one really expects Yuzu to go there as he never went to other smaller competitions between his Challenger event and first GP event.

ACI is highly possible for Yuzu, even if it'll be quite early this season, and it'll be the first Challenger this time. Both ACI and GP Helsinki were one week later than ACI and SC will be this season so it's doable. I think JSF will announce the list Challenger skaters very soon.

Can't see yuzu doing shanghai trophy. Flying to the other side of the world for  something like that would be unusual for him based on history. ACI is more appealing since it is literally just a short drive down the road, but who knows. 

Jeff, johnny and Plush retiring from shows would be kind of the end to their era, but personally that is fine with me.  I dont really enjoy shows much anymore unless it is group numbers and newer stars like yuzu.  They each have other roles in the skating world to devote their energies towards so their influence will be felt for years to come.

36 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Don't worry, it won't fuel any negative narratives -  Nathan won't be there either because he will compete at Japan Open the same weekend.

Right. I forgot about the conflict with Japan Open :headdesk:

In that case I agree that ACI is definitely the more likely choice. It's in the neighborhood of Toronto and there's some break before SC. I wonder, if Media Day at TCC will be a bit earlier than last year as well (I wouldn't mind... :P).

6 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I agree though that the P&G contract probably ended, which would explain them removing all the videos and content (though the timing is pretty bad as they had campaigns for the upcoming Tokyo Olympics with Yuzu and Matsuoka). I don't think this necessarily has anything to do with FaOI, though. I think Yuzu will only leave FaOI if he starts his own series, with Continues. And his connection is probably more through CIC than P&G. On the other hand, Jeff has hinted at retiring - in a FaOI interview he said he's nearing the end of his pro career - and Johnny I think has said he will retire next year? So it doesn't really have to be Yuzu. No idea about Plush, though. I don't think Yuzu will have much time for Continues until he retires, though who knows? But I'm not sure retirement is that close on the horizon - unless he is crazy enough to land all 6 quads in competition this season.

I am really thinking Yuzu is closer to retirement than most of us think (or WANT to think since for most of us Yuzu should compete forever).  I think, with all his mention of Nessie and wanting to do all of the quads that he is looking to retire after this season, but desires to go out in a blaze of glory, with his taking gold every time his blades hit the ice and his doing ALL of the quads in a SINGLE program.  Sensing Yuzu's sense of what is right, I think this is likely his last season unless he hangs on until Beijing.  If Yuzu doesn't retire this season it does mean he's planning on Beijing, since retiring after the season that directly precedes Beijing would not, to Yuzu, seem appropriate.  He will, however, continue to Beijing only if he feels confident of doing a 'threepeat', something which has only been done once, and that back in the 20s and 30s.

As far as ice shows, I have been strongly thinking since Continues that Yuzu sees his ice show future as a producer.  His friendship with Plushie has almost certainly made him acquainted with a show Plushy has done in Russia with Plushy as the star in a masculine version of Hans Christian Andersen's Snow Queen.  We were given a hint of that back in Continues in that Yuzu seeks an ice show format that has a unified theme or storyline and is not simply a collection of skaters doing their exhibition skates.  Almost certainly Yuzu has seen the North American Stars on Ice, which has a format that involves the star skaters interacting with each other in ways they do not in Fantasy on Ice.  As far as financing for such an endeavor Yuzu will have no trouble rounding up money to back him.  In Japan the mere mention of Yuzu as being in a particular competition or show guarantees an almost instant sell-out.  In many respects he may be the greatest cash cow that figure skating has ever seen.

Coaching may also be in Yuzu's future, but only after he has made his mark in the history of ice shows.  I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzu's intentions regarding ice shows involve putting together a show that can successfully tour internationally.  In a career that has been highlight by a succession of 'youngest' and 'firsts' and record-breaking, Yuzu would not be averse to achieving a number of ice show firsts.  He's already made his mark on competitive figure-skating, a mark that essentially makes this decade the Yuzuru Hanyu decade just as the preceding one is dominated by Plushenko.  If he's made his mark as a competitor and an ice show producer then I think coaching will be the next mountain he intends to climb.  He has as his model one of the most successful coaches in the history of figure skating.  All in all Yuzu is not going to simply retire and fade into the hazy realms of figure-skating history.  He intends to remain the Absolute Champion in one way or another well beyond his days of skating for points.  As with all things Yuzuru it will be interesting, very interesting, and, as always, something which only Yuzu is able to do.

3 hours ago, micaelis said:

I am really thinking Yuzu is closer to retirement than most of us think (or WANT to think since for most of us Yuzu should compete forever).  I think, with all his mention of Nessie and wanting to do all of the quads that he is looking to retire after this season, but desires to go out in a blaze of glory, with his taking gold every time his blades hit the ice and his doing ALL of the quads in a SINGLE program.  Sensing Yuzu's sense of what is right, I think this is likely his last season unless he hangs on until Beijing.  If Yuzu doesn't retire this season it does mean he's planning on Beijing, since retiring after the season that directly precedes Beijing would not, to Yuzu, seem appropriate.  He will, however, continue to Beijing only if he feels confident of doing a 'threepeat', something which has only been done once, and that back in the 20s and 30s.

Considering the difficulty of the jumps and the number of these jumps (3), I would be really surprised if he landed all of them in competition next season.  Of the three, 4Lz feels like it should appear next season, barring injury.  4F and 4A may still be works in progress, so I would not be shocked if only one or neither appeared this coming competitive season.  So I took this as a determination to be around for at least 2 seasons, if his health allows it.  I can see him wanting the blaze of glory of the 4A for sure, and maybe landing all types of quads as an "extended" goal that would not say anything certain about his will to do the next Olys, considering the very great risks to his health to do that many dangerous jumps. I do agree that I doubt he'd do Olys unless he knew he had a very good chance of winning. 

Of course all of this could change at any time if he gets more than a very minor injury. 

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

I spy Yuzu, Jun, Zhenya, Conrad, Joseph and Jason. And by the way, I think it's very cool that even Yuzu still takes edge classes. Makes you realizes that mastery of a skill isn't an endpoint but a continuous ongoing process. 

On 2019/7/10 at 午前2時25分, rockstaryuzuさんが言いました:

The most recent was when he talked about the muscles that gave his waist it's, well, Waist-ness in that interview just after FaOI. It could have been completely coincidence but it sounded like he had been lurking our discussions of The Waist and specifically the ones where we were wondering what he does in the gym to get such a good one. 

Waist. His waist :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Katei-Gaho, February 2018

https://www.kateigaho.com/love/15274/2/

こぼれ話 その2
僕、ウエストえぐいんですよ(笑)  Boku, waist eguin desuyo. 
えぐい - "egui" means nasty, horrible, gross, awful, amazing, horribly bad or good.  

シャワーを浴びたあと、ご用意した2セットのなかからご自分で選んだ衣装にお着替え中のときのこと。

「見てくださいよ~僕、ウエストえぐいんですよ」。振り返ると、洋服をぺろんとめくり上げて、取材スタッフみんなにウエストを披露している羽生選手がいました。

ええ、それはもう……細いです! 脂肪ゼロです。くびれすぎです。でも、ただ細いだけではなく、筋肉質なのはさすがアスリートならでは。えぐいウエスト、羨ましすぎる……、そこにいたスタッフみながそう思っていたに違いありません(笑)。

Episode 2:

I have a nasty waist (laughs).
After taking a shower, he was changing to a costume he selected himself from the 2 sets that we had prepared.

"Just have a look! - I have a nasty waist." Looking back, there was Hanyu-senshu who was flipping clothes up and showing off his waist to all the staff.

Yeah, that was absolutely ... slim!  No fat.  It was too slim like a hourglass.  But it's not only slim, it's muscular, of course he is an athlete.  Nasty waist,  I'm too jealous ......, all the staff who were there must have thought the same (laughs).