General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Veveco said:

I'm not sure what is Yuzu's condition, but it is likely a non-allergic skin reaction case. Also, there are different types of alcohols. If he's only "allergic" to isopropyl (a common rubbing alcohol type and a known potential irritant), he might be fine with ethanol (the drinking kind), low tolerance aside. 

I need to dig it up but I think he said he got a rash when they used rubbing alcohol in Blue Flames 2. I think it also lead to an infection (or maybe it was when he decided to take the stitches out himself!!). 

29 minutes ago, kiches said:

I need to dig it up but I think he said he got a rash when they used rubbing alcohol in Blue Flames 2. I think it also lead to an infection (or maybe it was when he decided to take the stitches out himself!!). 

Wait, he did WHAT? When? Where? Why?

Didn't he say that Sekkisei doesn't have alcohol or has very little, which is good for him, because he has that allergy? I could have misunderstood, though, as I was watching in an airport with an overactive toddler running around and haven't managed to re-watch everything.

Also, this discussion has taken place before, but I don't see why Yuzu would need an excuse to not drink. As in, imply he's allergic to justify not drinking if he really isn't. He doesn't seem the type, so if he doesn't want to drink, he'd just say he doesn't want to. Whether it really is an allergy or just an intolerance, unrelated to the skin allergy, only he knows - or it's possible even he doesn't know and just assumes they're related; a lot of people assume they're allergic to things, but I think few ever get tested to make sure - but in asaichi he said he's allergic so he can't drink, AFAIR.

1 hour ago, kiches said:

I don't remember the stitches thing in the book, though it's possible it just went over my head, but as I remember, yes, he got a rash. And I think there was a reaction to one of the antibiotics he was given, too.

I think Yuzu just seems like one of those people who are naturally very sensitive, starting with the asthma, but also slow healing, allergies and such. With that in mind, it's even more amazing how much he's achieved. Who knows, all the things he needs to be careful with...

2 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I don't remember the stitches thing in the book, though it's possible it just went over my head, but as I remember, yes, he got a rash. And I think there was a reaction to one of the antibiotics he was given, too.

3 hours ago, kiches said:

3 hours ago, faeline said:

Wait, he did WHAT? When? Where? Why?

From yuzusorbet

For the epidural anaesthesia, a catheter was inserted in my back; the alcohol used for disinfection was strong and I reacted to it/ developed a rash. After surgery, my back was itching and itching. In the stomach area, there was also a tube to drain the blood so that it does not accumulate. This was pierced through my navel and it was extremely painful. Ah~, it hurts now when I think of it. I also could not turn over. It was hard. Then later, I was injected with antibiotics and I had an allergic reaction; my whole body broke out in hives (urticaria). Really, all sorts of things happened. But thankfully, now half a year has passed and I am fine.

From tsukihoshi14

The surgery used dissolvable sutures, even though it’s called dissolvable suture, the fiber on the outside of the suture wouldn’t dissolve but rather remains in the body and would be naturally discharged. In other words, it stuck out little by little from the skin that was sewn. That area ended up swollen, and it kept aching. Skin is different from gum, but the pain was similar to when a wisdom tooth was coming out half way. It always felt like that in my abdomen. It felt like something was piercing out all the time. Whenever I rolled over in bed, I felt such a sharp pain that I would wake up, so I couldn’t even turn over in bed (laughs). I wanted to take it out by myself many times and used the clippers to clip them, but it got inflamed and bled. I could move around so it had been sewn up properly, but it might have been my fault for starting to move before it was healed completely. I was told that “For approximately 2 months after the surgery, you must not use a lot of strength. It's unknown how much strength your abdominal muscles can use for quad jumps, therefore, please be a little careful about that”, but I kept jumping quads, so.... (laughs). Each of those times, [my abdominal muscles] would become tight, wouldn’t they?

Thanks @kaeryth for finding the quote from the book!  This seemed to be around WTT 2015. Not sure if he used alcohol to disinfect his scissors when he did this, but he mentions it may have gotten inflamed because he was jumping and he wasn't supposed to be using too much strength with his abdominal muscles immediately.

7 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Also, this discussion has taken place before, but I don't see why Yuzu would need an excuse to not drink. As in, imply he's allergic to justify not drinking if he really isn't. He doesn't seem the type, so if he doesn't want to drink, he'd just say he doesn't want to. Whether it really is an allergy or just an intolerance, unrelated to the skin allergy, only he knows - or it's possible even he doesn't know and just assumes they're related; a lot of people assume they're allergic to things, but I think few ever get tested to make sure - but in asaichi he said he's allergic so he can't drink, AFAIR.

EDIT: I have some serious allergies and sensitivities myself (Penicillin is the worst, but vanillin and strawberries do horrible things to my skin as well). So yeah, I can imagine that for some people ethanol can cause allergic reactions, too.

However, even if you're not sensitive to alcohol, you can still say no. I don't drink either, I have my reasons, end of story. Some of my collegues, friends and familiy members try to lure me into a sip again and again... it can be annoying sometimes, but I'm not ashamed.

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

EDIT: I have some serious allergies and sensitivities myself (Penicillin is the worst, but vanillin and strawberries do horrible things to my skin as well). So yeah, I can imagine that for some people ethanol can cause allergic reactions, too.

However, even if you're not sensitive to alcohol, you can still say no. I don't drink either, I have my reasons, end of story. Some of my collegues, friends and familiy members try to lure me into a sip again and again... it can be annoying sometimes, but I'm not ashamed.

That’s a terrible thing pretty common in our culture/society too ,I’m vegetarian and still people try to make me eat meat.

And even with drinking people still looked at you like an alien Lol

Reading about his surgery tho wow that was pretty harsh poor guy I’m glad he’ fine now

10 hours ago, faeline said:

Thank you @kaeryth for the sources... omg this boy has some serious itchy hands and itchy feet (for skating)... If he were my younger brother, I'd bonk him on his head for being so rash.

IKR! When I read that, I was also shaking my head all the time and was torn between wanting to hug and comfort him and slapping him over his head. :headdesk:

Well, I like to believe that Yuzu's more mature and reasonable now as well as more conscious of long-term consequences of his actions. I mean, he still takes huge risks and pushes himself, but he's certainly better at taking care of himself and his body. The sheer stupid recklessness of his earlier years seems to be a thing of the past now.

Another improvement seems to be that Yuzu's much more open now and actually talks to the people close to him about his injuries etc. He used to keep injuries and illnesses secret even from his coaches... seriously!

But even this "mellowed down", more mature Yuzu is more than enough to give us excitement and continue taking us on a wild, wild ride in his orbit. He keeps on amazing, delighting and surprising us. He keeps us excited, anxious and hungry for more. And we just love it! :darklordyuzu: