General Yuzuru Chat

17 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I think he meant by his allergic to smell of alcohol ! good that he is staying away from the alcohol!not good for anyone health anyway. He is not a typical Japanese man who drink a lot

having a reaction to alcohol rubbed on your skin and drinking alcoholic beverage is different...I can't use parfume on my skin and i'm very careful with my skin-cleaning products but I can drink wine (or anything else) just fine..thanks the sakting gods btw,how would I survive Yuzuru's competions ?

Then of course he can be both allergic to contact and ingestion but of course not drinking for an athlete like him is probably the best option....although I get the feeling Javi would disagree with me:graucho:

I would think ingesting the thing that causes a reaction at skin level should make the reaction even worse... but I guess there might be different allergies and reactions and causes and stuff. I'm hardly an expert.

Regardless, he's mentioned it himself before, that his allergy started when he had his surgery and has given it as a reason for not drinking alcohol. The details I guess only he knows. (IIRC, in relation to the rubbing alcohol, he said he broke out in hives from it?  But that's just from memory. I think that was in one of his books.)

He mentioned the alcohol at least two times that I can remember. One was the Asaichi segment back in 2015 where he said his skin had a reaction to alcohol when he had surgery. It was brought up since one of the viewer questions sent in was what type of drink does he drink/like. I don't necessarily think having skin sensitivity to alcohol means you have sensitivity to ingesting it, so in truth I think Yuzu used it as a segue to tell us he doesn't really drink or can't handle drinking.

Second is in that P&G Yuzu Days interview (fuller translation here: https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/145257287482/pg-interview-1-june-2016-what-figure-skating). Doesn't say how much sake he actually had, but to me it sounds as if he can't couldn't handle liquor too well and implied his speech started to slur after having only a small amount of sake. Whether that's considered an allergy I'm not sure, but I'm the same way. Just a couple of sips usually and I get very lightheaded.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

I think he meant by his allergic to smell of alcohol ! good that he is staying away from the alcohol!not good for anyone health anyway. He is not a typical Japanese man who drink a lot

Although drinking is part of our culture, many of us do not have very high tolerance for the drink. Many Japanese lack the genes or have fewer copies of genes required to metabolize alcohol (Alcohol Dehydrogenase).  As a biochemist I used to do some research on this enzyme.  My brother and sister are typical examples of zero alcohol tolerance  - my brother cannot eat even a Japanese pickle - "Nara-zuke", which has some fermented alcohol - without turning bright pink and feeling nauseous.  I was born with the active genes for the enzyme (evidently) and therefore am able to drink without throwing up.  This lack of tolerance for imbibed alcohol is separate from the allergic skin reaction to alcohol.  Sorry for going off topic!  :offtopic2:But it's not so unusual to hear that Yuzuru was easily affected by drinking alcohol.  

54 minutes ago, kiches said:

Whether that's considered an allergy I'm not sure, but I'm the same way. Just a couple of sips usually and I get very lightheaded.

It sounds more like an intolerance or sensitivity to me. Basically the body can't process alcohol properly and the accumulation of the byproducts causes the side effects. This is very common among East Asians for instance (there is a very well-known genetic cause for this). An allergy on the other hand is essentially an overreaction of the immune system against a rather harmless substance. Though people often call reactions that are not allergic in nature "allergies" so it gets quickly confusing. Strictly speaking, they are quite different. 

I'm not sure what is Yuzu's condition, but it is likely a non-allergic skin reaction case. Also, there are different types of alcohols. If he's only "allergic" to isopropyl (a common rubbing alcohol type and a known potential irritant), he might be fine with ethanol (the drinking kind), low tolerance aside. 

Count me in on the low alcohol dehydrogenase contingent.  I have a very low alcohol tolerance and if I drink more than a few sips of even beer, this causes my asthma to act up and I start wheezing, not to mention turning very red. Wonder if Yuzu's asthma gets worse if he drinks?  Also, can't use alcohol on my skin.

7 hours ago, shanshani said:

I feel like I'm in a corny drama where I'm on the brink of life and death and Yuzu is the angel telling me to go back and live :laughing:

:smiley-laughing021:

after reading this, I have the whole scene playing in my head :laughing:

50 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

I find it so funny that Yuzu is repping skin products that have alcohol as one of the first ingredients. :laughing: Of course Sekkisei would be a tad milder than hospital disinfectant.

but he's telling us to use it:P he's not even pretending that he uses them :dancingpooh:

On 6/17/2019 at 1:29 AM, Yuzu_legend said:

@cvdnce Congratulations!!!! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: I wish I could have been there!!! Thank you so much to you and each one of your girls. You all have work hard and the result was a truly beautiful and heartfelt performance! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw: :tumblr_inline_mto5i9TIpx1qid2nw:

Thanks so much!  I am glad you liked the performance!

On 6/16/2019 at 11:03 PM, Umebachi said:

Congratulations to @cvdnce for the lovely tribute to Yuzuru!  

Thank you so much!   I am glad you liked the tribute!

On 5/12/2019 at 11:11 AM, cvdnce said:

I have made the decision to go to ACI.  Although, I would love to see him skate in Japan, I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.   I would love to meet some Yuzu fans there.  We are going to have a Pooh on the stage with us during the Ballet Tribute at the Kauffman performance.  I plan to throw that same Pooh on the ice for him at ACI.   I am VERY excited to see him skate.   

Thanks.  I can’t imagine seeing them in person.   I am very excited to go to ACI and meet other Fanyus.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:44 AM, ralucutzagy said:

On 5/10/2019 at 1:44 AM, ralucutzagy said:

On 5/10/2019 at 2:55 AM, Yuzu_legend said:

Well deserved because what you have created is something very special and have brought a lot of joy to all fans. As @PoohandYuzu wrote, I’m sure Yuzu also knows now  about your Tribute...isn’t it a beautiful thought that you very probably made him smile?!!!:13877886::tumblr_inline_nhkezmeBaq1qid2nw: :67638860:

We will be cheering for you and your girls on the 16th of June!!!:cheer:

Thank you.  I am so glad that people liked the tribute.   My girls were very nervous but the performance went well on the16th.