General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, Anki said:

I am watching his interview after Makuhari first day broadcast today and he said the opening 4T he did still need improvement as it is not even at 20% of his ideal. Yet the 4T he did, whilst had a slight tilt, was still a landed 4T with a high kick. And this is less than 20%...I am really starting to think 20% Nessie includes twizzle entries and high kick exits too, nothing to do with landing %. As for 100%, Im guessing probably  involves him growing wings and flying to the stratosphere, and only occurs in his own dreams:68468287:

100% is him rotating at the speed of light and jumping so high that he reaches Planet Hanyu while doing a 1000A.

Oh, and naturally, he takes off from earth with a hydroblade entry and lands on his home planet with twizzles while sprinkling fairy dust on his satellites. :pouty:

re 4A

Yuzu knows what will be the best to do and how can he land that monster of a jump more than anyone else. But I think it may be possible that it'll be baby steps first and then if everything goes well, he'll have more time to work on it then, including entries/exits ...because of its incredibly difficulty I really don't expext him to land it for the first time with absolute perfection. 

I really doubt he'd add the 4A in the SP though. :13877886: It'd be extremely risky - both points-wise and injury-wise - and unnecessary too. He did the 4Lo in the SP one season before the Olympics, and he did it right from the beginning of the season because he wanted to stabilize the jump and get consistency on it. The 4Lo would have been a weapon at the Olympics but then as we know at the end he didn't need the jump to win the Gold medal.

The situation with the 4Lo was different and I think the 4A is no comparable with it. Except of the Loop, he put all his other quads in his free skate when he first jumped them - and first he jumped them once, not twice. It's very risky to introduce a new jump in a program and it is better to do so in the free where there is more room for errors. In a short program there is no room for a big mistake and I also don't think there is more breathing room to recover or to get back focus there than in the free skate. The time is too short for that and there are many required elements to do in an SP. With a less consistent layout one can easily find himself 10-15 points behind the top guys, which then affects many things in the free skate, the starting order, the PCS, etc. That can cost someone too much. Add the fact how incredibly difficult the 4A is even compared to any other quads...the risk of injury, etc.

so like with his 4T, 4S and 4Lz, I think it wouldn't be different with the 4A either, one could be in the free skate, and the SP layout can be something that is more consistent.

And because it's already 1st of July Japanese time, which is officially the first day of the 2019/2020 season, I would like to wish Yuzu all the best for the coming season;  I hope he will reach all his goals he sets for himself and he'll be satisfied with his achievements and performances:) But what's the most important: I wish him good health and hope he'll be healthy in the new season. :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw: Good luck, Yuzu! 

18 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

re 4A

Yuzu knows what will be the best to do and how can he land that monster of a jump more than anyone else. But I think it may be possible that it'll be baby steps first and then if everything goes well, he'll have more time to work on it then, including entries/exits ...because of its incredibly difficulty I really don't expext him to land it for the first time with absolute perfection. 

I really doubt he'd add the 4A in the SP though. :13877886: It'd be extremely risky - both points-wise and injury-wise - and unnecessary too. He did the 4Lo in the SP one season before the Olympics, and he did it right from the beginning of the season because he wanted to stabilize the jump and get consistency on it. The 4Lo would have been a weapon at the Olympics but then as we know at the end he didn't need the jump to win the Gold medal.

The situation with the 4Lo was different and I think the 4A is no comparable with it. Except of the Loop, he put all his other quads in his free skate when he first jumped them - and first he jumped them once, not twice. It's very risky to introduce a new jump in a program and it is better to do so in the free where there is more room for errors. In a short program there is no room for a big mistake and I also don't think there is more breathing room to recover or to get back focus there than in the free skate. The time is too short for that and there are many required elements to do in an SP. With a less consistent layout one can easily find himself 10-15 points behind the top guys, which then affects many things in the free skate, the starting order, the PCS, etc. That can cost someone too much. Add the fact how incredibly difficult the 4A is even compared to any other quads...the risk of injury, etc.

so like with his 4T, 4S and 4Lz, I think it wouldn't be different with the 4A either, one could be in the free skate, and the SP layout can be something that is more consistent.

And because it's already 1st of July Japanese time, which is officially the first day of the 2019/2020 season, I would like to wish Yuzu all the best for the coming season;  I hope he will reach all his goals he sets for himself and he'll be satisfied with his achievements and performances:) But what's the most important: I wish him good health and hope he'll be healthy in the new season. :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw: Good luck, Yuzu! 

I agree, I would also be surprised if he did 4A in the SP. I think the only way it would make sense would be if he had practiced emergency popping to 3A, so he can improvise if it goes wrong without requiring extra effort (as in he can add a quad and a combo and still be ok). Even popping to 2A would be ok-ish, but... yeah.

If he seriously plans on doing all the quads (whether this season or next season or whenever), I believe he will split them up. Do one big/new quad in the SP - MAYBE - and do the rest in the free. Remember his ideal Origin layout started with 4A 4Lz. Maybe keep 4Lo for the short, as he has some practice with it so it's safer. Then go crazy and do 4A, 4Lz and 4F in the free, probably as the first three jumps... After all, Yuzu is no stranger to recovering and regrouping from mistakes early in the program. And the earlier they happen, the easier it is for him to find solutions and improvise. We've all agreed by now that the gong in Origin was for 4A. And it also explains why the beginning of the program is fairly empty by his standards.

My biggest wonder is whether he'll try to find another program that can accommodate his crazy ideas or stick to Origin. The problem with Origin is that it's actually really demanding and overall busy and stamina wise, it'd be really hard to do all those quads and still manage the rest of the program. Even at Worlds, where it was wonderful, he was pretty slow and that's possibly where he lost some PCS. And that was with just the usual quads. So actually a slightly more mellow program might work better... but then again mellow and a ton of quads doesn't seem like it'd go well. (I now think maybe H&L worked so well because it was a fairly calm program, so it wasn't as hard to maintain the stamina needed for 4 perfect quads and 2 3As.)

I'm sure he'll find a great solution and blow our minds away, though lol

I also feel quite sure he will get all six quads in competition... his ambition is stronger than just about anything, so if he sets his mind to it, he probably will, someway, somehow...

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

If Yuzu had the motivation and physical plus mental health to compete in Beijing, he would have the extremely rare chance to become the first ever male figure skater to win three consecutive Olympic WINTER Games. That would be insane, especially in this highly competitive field... However, health and well-being first.

If there's any figure skater out there who has both the physical and mental/emotional prowess to do it as well as the sheer ambition and hunger, it's Yuzu. :hachimaki:

4 hours ago, Umebachi said:

He is introducing the new ANA flight from Tokyo to Honolulu - with a Sea Turtle design!  He says sea turtles are kawaii (cute), joining the bees as the Yuzu designated beloved creatures.  He encourages us to visit Maui island, where you can meet the cute Sea Turtles and enjoy the beautiful coastline.   So, in addition to visiting Sendai, you can travel to Maui and meet the turtles.  You will need a large travel budget to keep up!  Alternatively, you can become more environmentally conscious and learn all about the life of sea turtles on Nat Geo.  

Good taste, Yuzu. Tortoises and turtles are my all-time favorite animals. I had the chance to study a group of 14 turtles in Turkey for two weeks. They were so busy and relaxed at the same time, it's incredible. It broke my heart to say goodbye to my babies:13877886:

My future dream is to have a giant tortoise by my side - not as a pet but a companion and co-philosopher for the next 120 years (there are not many fellows who can get 147 years old, aye? :P)

I agree with @sallycinnamon and @KatjaThera that a 4A will be very risky in both programs. If you pop it into a single, it costs you many many points. If you fall, the pain will probably affect the rest of your program and you get punished heavily in PCS on top. I don't really see any compromises with the 4A. You either land it or pop or fall. A Javi-save or other weird stumble must be suicidal with 4.5 rotations, what do you think?

However, in the current inflation and judging madness Yuzu might need 4A, 4Lz or 4F to win the short without relying on others' mistakes. I don't know, if 4S and 4T guarantee a safe lead, when others skate clean with 4F and 4Lz. It shouldn't be, but I fear that it will be... :13877886:

And aye: the gong in Origin was prepared for Nessie, that's for sure.

the Sendai Meguri translation made me emotional:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I can really relate to the whole special feeling of home, I feel the same about my hometown:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

I'm happy Sendai is still where he can feel safe, even despite his huge popularity (also, kudos to lovely Sendai people because Yuzu couldn't be such a good ninja without them protecting him so well:10742289:)

5 hours ago, Umebachi said:

As always, a beautiful and moving tribute from our favorite artist runrun, closing the 2018 - 2019 season and welcoming the start of the new season.   It's still the old season here on Pacific coast - wishing everyone a Happy New Season! 

:softYuzu:

that drawing of Yuzu's jumps welcoming 4Lz back melted me again:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: especially after watching his first attempt in makuhari day 1! how much it meant to Yuzuur, to land it again in front of all those people:tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:

and since it's past midnight in my side of the world, it's new season already!:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

wishing Yuzu to have a season full of satisfactions and health! May he face his challenges head on and overcame them and give us many radiant smiles from the top of the podium:snonegai:

skating gods you'll better not complain that this is being greedy 'cause you freakin' owe this to him!

Also, re:scoring, I hope for our sanity that the new season will be less frustrating than the last one:fingerscrossed:

3 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

re 4A

:iagree:

it's unlikely Yuzu will bring Nessie directly for the SP, the SP is not much about scaring the comp but getting a nice placement that can make you "relaxed" for the FS and remind judges you're a contender.

SP must be a balance of BV + what you can do consistently with some quality and the "advantage" the 4A gives over a 4Lz is just 1 point of BV.... virtually cancelled by the much higher risks inherent to Nessie being...Nessie, the hardest jump (negative GOEs even on a fully rotated jump are more likely compared to "easier" quads since it's harder to control, higher risk of fall...and relative risk of injury)

I can't even predict if Yuzuru will have 4Lo or 4Lz in the SP in place of 4S, each choice has its pro and cons, but for 4A the cons would be significantly more than the pros, IMO. So when Nessie will appear, it will likely be in the FS first, and even in that case I wonder which other jumps he'll do, to choose form his repertoire he'll need to consider not only BV but also stamina consistency and burden on his ankle (and body in general). I'm curious about which strategy Yuzuru will go for:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

But I'm sure that if he has a new SP he won't start the season without backloading the combo. Chill Yuzu of ACI Otonal was...well, an exception:10814716:

24 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

But I'm sure that if he has a new SP he won't start the season without backloading the combo. Chill Yuzu of ACI Otonal was...well, an exception:10814716:

Chill and zen is something I guess everyone needs/wants to experience a number of times in their lives...

With Yuzu, we can literally see the moment he thought once was quite enough, thank you!!!  :ohno:

9 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Ah, thanks for the summary! :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw: This is why the background looks so good. 

I'm expecting some new cute fanarts with turtles :tumblr_inline_mto5i9TIpx1qid2nw:

Many :D 

Before the cute fan arts, herebelow we have the Thing Itself - the ANA Sea Turtle planes.  I am not trying to advertise for ANA - I don't like commercialization of valuable things - but you have to admit this plane is "kawaii" adorkable.   And while riding one of the most intense carbon emitting transportation device, you could take some solace that you are bringing global attention to the plight of the Sea Turtles.   

I expect we will see @Henni147 on board very soon. 

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I agree with @sallycinnamon and @KatjaThera that a 4A will be very risky in both programs. If you pop it into a single, it costs you many many points. If you fall, the pain will probably affect the rest of your program and you get punished heavily in PCS on top. I don't really see any compromises with the 4A. You either land it or pop or fall. A Javi-save or other weird stumble must be suicidal with 4.5 rotations, what do you think?

However, in the current inflation and judging madness Yuzu might need 4A, 4Lz or 4F to win the short without relying on others' mistakes. I don't know, if 4S and 4T guarantee a safe lead, when others skate clean with 4F and 4Lz. It shouldn't be, but I fear that it will be... :13877886:

I think in recent years Yuzu has learned that popping is better than falling while trying to force a landing. Even if the immediate consequences can be disastrous, it's better long term, because of the lower chance of injury. (Of course, there are exceptions, but some of those did have disastrous consequences... imagine if he'd popped NHK 4Lz instead of trying to force the landing. Or the 4Lo at Rostelecom) So, for his health, I hope he will always choose popping over falling. (Though that's probably too much to hope for... He'll try to Javi-save some of them, for sure). I agree that on a 4A they'd probably be nearly impossible... but that'd mean we'd only ever see pop, fall or perfect 4As and that's a bit hard to believe... So, his knees will probably get a battering from some Javi-save attempts and there'll be some double-footing maybe? Overturning? We'll see I guess... (But I do hope they do some special 'how to pop quads to triples 101' training...)

For the SP, I could be too optimistic, but I don't think he'll need 4A, 4Lz or 4F... Even last season, with just 4S and 4T, when clean, he was head and shoulders above the 4Lzs and 4Fs. Of course, it will likely get worse this season, which is why 4Lo makes sense instead of 4S. I'm not sure 4Lz wouldn't be more of a risk than it's worth, but it depends on how well he will have mastered it by autumn. If he's really confident with it, then 4Lz would be better. The SP is more about going for the stuff you know you can do, to score as many points as you can, as @LadyLou said, so it will depend on the status of 4Lz by the end of Summer, I guess. 4F is probably not worth it, either, because a mistake or an edge call would be an issue. And leave the experiments to the free... Though of course, that's only if he truly chooses to come out all guns blazing. He might still ease himself into it and add the quads gradually and pick and choose the ones he's most comfortable with, rather than doing them all at once... But given 4Lz and 4F at FaOI, all guns blazing doesn't sound as unlikely as we all thought when he first mentioned wanting them all after Worlds... :ummm:

ETA: I actually find it pretty funny that Yuzu is promoting traveling to an island well-known for beaches and swimming and such when he doesn't like beaches and can't swim lol That's like Sekkisei to the next level lol But I'm happy they're having him for July (as weird as it is; I guess having a winter athlete on a winter month was too cliche lol) because my birthday is in July lol

6 hours ago, Henni147 said:

And aye: the gong in Origin was prepared for Nessie, that's for sure.

Agreed. Can't help imagine how epic it would be if he could have done that. :8122879:

I kinda hope he didn't stick to Origin though, the program was too much complex and he has to sacrifice some of the quality for those crazy transitions which effect both GOE and PCS.