General Yuzuru Chat

Hace 1 hora, steemsprite said:

It sort of bugs me that the left suit sleeve has three button holes and the right one has only two.. :judgmental:

:LOL::rofl2:LOL sorry, I know I should be concentrating in Yuzu’s philanthropic mindset or the 4A landing’s percentage...but it’s 1:30 am and this made me laugh so hard! And you are right! Ahhh... fanyus eyes for details are amazing!:68468287:

I don't know whether any of you read today's "inside the games" article by Matthew Smith regarding the announcement of the GP assignments, but Yuzuru was twice referred to as follows: "Double Olympic gold medalist, China's Yuzuru Hanyu".

I thought I'd better contact Matthew Smith and get him to correct this before Yuzu had a chance to see it so I sent him an email and he immediately replied thanking me for the correction and making the changes to the article.

I was really not expecting a response and was pleasantly surprised. I immediately checked the article and it had been corrected.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1081032/world-champion-chen-to-begin-2019-isu-grand-prix-in-las-vegas-while-hanyu-starts-campaign-in-canada

38 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

I don't know whether any of you read today's "inside the games" article by Matthew Smith regarding the announcement of the GP assignments, but Yuzuru was twice referred to as follows: "Double Olympic gold medalist, China's Yuzuru Hanyu".

I thought I'd better contact Matthew Smith and get him to correct this before Yuzu had a chance to see it so I sent him an email and he immediately replied thanking me for the correction and making the changes to the article.

I was really not expecting a response and was pleasantly surprised. I immediately checked the article and it had been corrected.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1081032/world-champion-chen-to-begin-2019-isu-grand-prix-in-las-vegas-while-hanyu-starts-campaign-in-canada

Which of course reminds us all of the time an announcer did it too...

https://twitter.com/yuzuruloop/status/977659367767138309?lang=en

I recall he actually said in an interview (although I can't find which one anymore) that when a jump reaches 20%, he is ready to put it in a competition. Hence, the relevance of "it hasn't reached 20% yet" in this recent interview, because that is what he is aiming for.

Now by 20% I don't think he meant probability only, but more so a combination of probability and quality. given how strict he is on himself, I highly doubt he personally considers any of his jump to be 100%, so his 20% may be more like a 40%~50% by someone else's standards.  And he doesn't need to have over 50% success rate for a jump in practice for it to go into the program..for example the 4loop last year success rate in open practice was actually pretty low (he popped it a lot), but he actually managed to landed it in all three competitions that he tried the jump, to varying degree of quality. It will be the same for 4A. If there is a good chance to land it, I don't see why not for him to try (but keeping safety in mind of course). But obviously he won't be going for something that is going to become 4A<< like others who have tried.       

2 hours ago, yude said:

I've just watched "going" interview and don't have time to translate everything, but Yuzuru says he hasn't reached even 20% at his standard on 4A in the practice before FaOI, so less than 20%. He says he will make time to train the jump and work hard from now on :)

Isn't this the first confirmation, though, that he's actually LANDED it? Seems like the last statement from anyone with inside knowledge (Brian, I think), was that he was able to rotate it -- with the implication that he wasn't landing it yet. 

If so, this seems like an  :omg:  :eek: :jaw: :yahoo:moment. 

Of course, other satellites probably have better memories or more solid information ...

3 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

Isn't this the first confirmation, though, that he's actually LANDED it? Seems like the last statement from anyone with inside knowledge (Brian, I think), was that he was able to rotate it -- with the implication that he wasn't landing it yet. 

If so, this seems like an  :omg:  :eek: :jaw: :yahoo:moment. 

Of course, other satellites probably have better memories or more solid information ...

I wouldn't say it's really confirmation he's landed it. But then I don't think he'll say he's landed it until he lands it in competition, because he knows how important a statement it is.

He didn't say he lands it 20% of the time, just that it's not even at 20% of the level he aspires to (which as we know is super high). That said, I'm personally sure he has landed it, just not regularly. Even when he was first training 4T he would land one in 50. Surely with how long he's had it in mind and given that is training it seriously, and has been aiming to put it in competition (if he'd been able to continue training it) for some time now, he has landed it at least a few times. Or else he wouldn't speak of it with so much confidence. He knows he can land it - because he has done it - but he needs to find the way to land it a lot, then most of the time, then with increasing consistency. But I'm pretty sure he'll either deny or avoid confirming that he's landed it until he does it in competition. I won't be surprised if he adds it to his layout and goes into a competition and when media asks him about it, he'll say he hasn't landed it yet. It's not a lutz or a flip, it's Nessie. I don't think he'll make statements until he can back them up. Once he's landed it in competition, we'll probably hear he's been landing it for years lol

Oh as for the ideal comment from Going yesterday, just a nuance, but I think what he meant was that it's not himself he's fighting (the interviewer asked him, if it's a fight against himself), but rather his ideal version of himself. And that ideal version is the one he's chasing and aiming to beat. The overall idea is the same, but in a way that he's no longer fighting his previous achievements, but fighting an ideal version of himself means he's now going beyond anything he's achieved so far. It's kind of a refreshing statement, as well as encouraging, because it really doesn't sound anything like retirement is on the horizon. (That said, I could be wrong, as I am jet-lagged to hell and back :headdesk2: I was awake for over 36 hours for my trip home, due to flight being in the evening and some delays...)

11 hours ago, yude said:

I've just watched "going" interview and don't have time to translate everything, but Yuzuru says he hasn't reached even 20% at his standard on 4A in the practice before FaOI, so less than 20%. He says he will make time to train the jump and work hard from now on :)

He said he practiced (4A) before the ice shows but there are still many aspects that he feels not enough. And he said 「自分の中では20%もいってないな」now, these his words did not specify what this 20% refers to. He certainly did not say anything about success rate (成功率). So when you think about what is Yuzu's 100% refers to when it comes to his jumps, his 100% would usually include difficult entry and out not to mention it is seamlessly incorporated into the programs. So my take on the actual success rate of 4A for Yuzu is more than 20% (1 in 5). 

While I was having my lunch and came back to finish my post, @KatjaThera had already posted what I was going to say :D I have no doubt that he's landed 4A many times before but not to the standard that he's satisfied for putting into his program.

Also he's said he will take full responsibility for his words (about 4A) and will not change it. He's said 有言実行 (say word with action).

For Yuzu, 4A business is not just one-off thing (landing at a competition with +GOE) but to tame the legendary creature to become one of his weapons. He has said that 4A is no longer a mere dream for him but it is a real thing. I read that as he would like to add 4A just like he acquired other quads.

Go beyond one's ideal even though the ideal exists beyond one's limit. That is what Yuzu's aiming at. I will triple my prayer for him...

2 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I wouldn't say it's really confirmation he's landed it. But then I don't think he'll say he's landed it until he lands it in competition, because he knows how important a statement it is.

He didn't say he lands it 20% of the time, just that it's not even at 20% of the level he aspires to (which as we know is super high). That said, I'm personally sure he has landed it, just not regularly. Even when he was first training 4T he would land one in 50. Surely with how long he's had it in mind and given that is training it seriously, and has been aiming to put it in competition (if he'd been able to continue training it) for some time now, he has landed it at least a few times. Or else he wouldn't speak of it with so much confidence. He knows he can land it - because he has done it - but he needs to find the way to land it a lot, then most of the time, then with increasing consistency. But I'm pretty sure he'll either deny or avoid confirming that he's landed it until he does it in competition. I won't be surprised if he adds it to his layout and goes into a competition and when media asks him about it, he'll say he hasn't landed it yet. It's not a lutz or a flip, it's Nessie. I don't think he'll make statements until he can back them up. Once he's landed it in competition, we'll probably hear he's been landing it for years lol

Oh as for the ideal comment from Going yesterday, just a nuance, but I think what he meant was that it's not himself he's fighting (the interviewer asked him, if it's a fight against himself), but rather his ideal version of himself. And that ideal version is the one he's chasing and aiming to beat. The overall idea is the same, but in a way that he's no longer fighting his previous achievements, but fighting an ideal version of himself means he's now going beyond anything he's achieved so far. It's kind of a refreshing statement, as well as encouraging, because it really doesn't sound anything like retirement is on the horizon. (That said, I could be wrong, as I am jet-lagged to hell and back :headdesk2: I was awake for over 36 hours for my trip home, due to flight being in the evening and some delays...)

Thank you for your more nuanced reading. It certainly makes more sense, given what we know of Yuzu's approach to training and his reticence (one might even say his ninja-level secretiveness) about his physical condition, his training, his programs, his life ...

I guess I was so shocked by his more or less training 4Lz and (possibly) 4F in public during FaOI that I was ready to think he might actually discuss his ability to land 4A. But it does seem really out of character, especially compared to your interpretation. Yuzu being the gorgeous troll that he is, we'll all fret and speculate endlessly with close to zero information, and Nessie will suddenly appear when we least expect her. *shakes her head and sighs fondly*

Good to know, BTW, that you made it home safely. Get some well-earned rest and know that you made many, many fanyus very happy with all your detailed accounts of your adventures in Japan. Doumo arigatou gozaimasu. 

Edit: I replied before reading BWOZWaltz's post on the same subject, which is in agreement with Katja Thera's and is also excellent. Those of us ignorant of Japaneese are so lucky to have accomplished translators to help us understand our enigmatic Overlord. Thanks again.

3 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Thank you so much. Please have a lot of rest!:img_21: