General Yuzuru Chat

So I'm currently in an Irish country town where the GAA reign supreme and I think the nearest ice rink is  100 km away. Suddenly I find myself wondering what it would be like if Yuzu and a handful of Olympic medallists were to be plunked down here. :xD:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I understand this, and it seemed to me he was saying that he's somehow created a kind of public image for himself that he feels represents the ideal 'Yuzuru Hanyu' , which he wanted to live up to. So at least some of the pressure he's feeling comes from within. 

It's a combination of from within and without - from the day of the earthquake (It's a bittersweet thought that he might even have difficulty recalling just how it felt to be that boy of 10 March 2011 who just loved to skate), and then skyrocketing at Sochi -  Yuzu has been more than just Japan's beloved skater and champion but an exemplar, almost an embodiment of suffering and rising above it, achieving so much through adversity, and of everything they want a such an exemplar to be both in his sport and as a human being.

It's almost unimaginable to obscure and ordinary souls like me what that must feel like, to know that huge numbers of people look at you and see something more than what you know you are, and to understand that you - the 'Yuzuru Hanyu' of public perception as well as the real Yuzu - have made a difference in ways that count, to ordinary people as well as the many who shared the experience of tragedy with you and therefore feel they share everything you are and you can give. Many people are famous, less - but still a good number - are legends.  Less still, very few in reality, become symbols in the public's eyes.  And that is hard.

But he makes that difference, and he takes it oh so seriously. And then last year he took that second Oly gold - through more suffering - and received the People's Award.  Is it surprising that he puts pressure on himself not to disappoint everyone?

On 6/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, TallyT said:

It's a combination of from within and without - from the day of the earthquake (It's a bittersweet thought that he might even have difficulty recalling just how it felt to be that boy of 10 March 2011 who just loved to skate), and then skyrocketing at Sochi -  Yuzu has been more than just Japan's beloved skater and champion but an exemplar, almost an embodiment of suffering and rising above it, achieving so much through adversity, and of everything they want a such an exemplar to be both in his sport and as a human being.

It's almost unimaginable to obscure and ordinary souls like me what that must feel like, to know that huge numbers of people look at you and see something more than what you know you are, and to understand that you - the 'Yuzuru Hanyu' of public perception as well as the real Yuzu - have made a difference in ways that count, to ordinary people as well as the many who shared the experience of tragedy with you and therefore feel they share everything you are and you can give. Many people are famous, less - but still a good number - are legends.  Less still, very few in reality, become symbols in the public's eyes.  And that is hard.

But he makes that difference, and he takes it oh so seriously. And then last year he took that second Oly gold - through more suffering - and received the People's Award.  Is it surprising that he puts pressure on himself not to disappoint everyone?

Extremely well written.  it goes right with what I have been saying almost since I first stopped lurking and joined the Planet.  Yuzu has become a symbol of suffering and recovering Japan.  Combined with his known psychological and moral struggles as he continued his training and competing after the earthquake, he has emerged as the preeminent symbol of Japan post earthquake.  The legend's foundation is the image of him scrambling from the ice when it seemed to him that the building might come down on him at any time.  Then his struggles to find another training site and his skating in all those ice shows to get practice time there.  I'm sure that his story was probably circulated widely amongst those at those shows and thus boosted his identification with the quake and tsunami.  Then the further symbolism of his victory at Sochi, not only the first Japanese man to win the figure-skating gold but also the only Japanese athlete in any sport to bring home gold from Sochi.  Since then he has taken his role as symbol of the quake to heart.  This also goes to the heart of Yuzu's humility.  There is so much expected of him but he knows that he can never fully live up to those expectations.  He does his best, however, on the ice and off it and does his best, also, to not let the public know just how taxing this burden is.  

34 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Finally... the gender is right. But the ages... is that fishnet-magic?   :LOL:

Poor Javi couldn't be detected by the program xD

RVVvbtjr.jpg

[Uploaded by myself on imgur]

That's a rare one - it's actually making Yuzu older!

24 minutes ago, Ashley2162018 said:

The last show of FAOI is here.

I am going to miss him.

We all are.... our ninja will disappear, and Masquerade with him.

On the other side, I just went into youtube and there are a million and thirty three clips  (okay, slight exaggeration, thirty two) from the last three days' tv offerings of all sorts to sort through for best...