General Yuzuru Chat

22 hours ago, river said:

I told my coworkers about my plans to go to ACI this year and one of them asked me if "purple boy" was going to be there.

I might have had a few too many adult beverages on a recent ladies' night out and then googled pictures of the PPOS to show the group... :1:

That sounds like a very well-spent evening. 

22 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Hey guys! I posted this in the Weloveyuzu thread but thought I should ask here as well since more people come here

I am compiling some quotes for our cheer project and I think I just want to get the best quotes from the following people on Yuzu as a skater/person (rather about his perf/program). 

• Vincent Zhou - not sure if he ever talked about Yuzu. I know he looks up to Yuzu but I have never come across one from him. 
  • Daniel Grassl - (if any)
  • Nobu
  • Jun - I am looking for his recent interview where he talked about Yuzu. I know it's on Twitter but couldn't seem to find it. 
  • Shae Lynn Borne (not from ciontu)
  • Jeffrey Buttle (not from ciontu)
  • Tessa and Scott (If any)

Thank you so much in advance! 

I seem to recall Scott saying during an interview for the Thnak You Canada tour that the reason he and Tessa did the side-by-side Axels with Yuzu at FaOI is because Yuzu's the boss and what he wants, he gets, and they were really happy to do it for him...but I can't find the interview now. :(

23 hours ago, river said:

I told my coworkers about my plans to go to ACI this year and one of them asked me if "purple boy" was going to be there.

I might have had a few too many adult beverages on a recent ladies' night out and then googled pictures of the PPOS to show the group... :1:

Hey, good things are meant to be shared...  :tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

4 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Shuzo Matsuoka asked one of the guests to comment and the guest replied that it is the same thing that Miyamoto Musashi said.

I think I have posted about Miyamoto Musashi before in comparison to Yuzu, but he is a legendary Japanese swordsman who dedicated his entire life to being the best, forsaking love and personal comforts in order to achieve it, constantly practicing and honing his art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

Depending on your sources, Musashi is sometimes seen as a bit of a madman. Or at least, an obsessed man. Guess Yuzu can be like that too...

1 hour ago, Melissa.May said:

Hi I found this on Twitter. Not sure if it’s the one you are looking for. Jun said that   “ YuzuruHanyu is such a legend, it's difficult for me to make any comments.  It's fun being able to train with him." JunHwanCha " 

Hope this helps :)

thank you so much again I also saw ur retweet🙏🙏🙏

36 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I seem to recall Scott saying during an interview for the Thnak You Canada tour that the reason he and Tessa did the side-by-side Axels with Yuzu at FaOI is because Yuzu's the boss and what he wants, he gets, and they were really happy to do it for him...but I can't find the interview now. :(

oh I think I know which one you're talking about! I will try my best to look for it. i think i saw it on tumblr. thanks a lot tho!

9 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

9 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

thank you so much again I also saw ur retweet🙏🙏🙏

oh I think I know which one you're talking about! I will try my best to look for it. i think i saw it on tumblr. thanks a lot tho!

It's here:

Can somebody tell me why the new revised judging rules seem designed to hit Yuzu in particular?

Do they want to get rid of him so much? It hurts my heart, it does. Here he is, trying his best and achieving magic on that ice, keeping figure skating alive if not single-handedly, then at least being a significant reason why competition and ice show tickets are sold, and ISU seems determined to make sure less accomplished skaters win over him. 

:59227c768286a__s::disdain::59227c768286a__s:

13 minutes ago, KitSileya said:

Can somebody tell me why the new revised judging rules seem designed to hit Yuzu in particular?

Do they want to get rid of him so much? It hurts my heart, it does. Here he is, trying his best and achieving magic on that ice, keeping figure skating alive if not single-handedly, then at least being a significant reason why competition and ice show tickets are sold, and ISU seems determined to make sure less accomplished skaters win over him. 

:59227c768286a__s::disdain::59227c768286a__s:

I don't really think they are. I think the ISU is just thoughtless and doesn't care to incentivize technical proficiency so long as it "looks good enough." The 4A value, is, imo, just laziness--the quad values are lazy in general, above the 4S they scream "we just wanted to make this easy to remember" instead of "we designed this in order reflect the physical demands of these jumps and/or the precedents set by other parts of our scoring system." 4Lo 10.5, 4F 11, 4Lz 11.5, 4A 12.5...if that's not prioritizing easy to remember numbers, I don't know what is. It's also totally divergent from 3Lo 4.9, 3F 5.3, 3Lz 5.9, 3A 8 in a way that makes zero sense. 3A is 2.1 points harder than 3Lz but 4A is only 1 pt harder than 4Lz? Especially with the prerotated jumps that pass as 4Lzs these days.

2S -> -5 is just because of short program requirements, I don't think Yuzu is particularly prone to popping jumps in the short, so it can't really be considered an anti-him rule.

I do think that Yuzu hasn't ever really benefitted much from judging trends. When he first became a senior PCS could really, really save you (cough Patrick Chan cough) whereas now PCS is almost as irrelevant to placements among top men as spins. Recently, judges have decided they care about the number and kind of difficult jumps you can do above anything else, which Nathan has an edge in. So Yuzu's strength (relative to competitors) was tech in the PCS dominated era, and now Yuzu's relative strength is PCS in the jumping bean dominated era. I don't think this is a conspiracy against Yuzu though, so much as a combination of bad luck and judges engaging in trend-dominated groupthink, because these trends exist in ladies as well (though they aren't exactly the same--ladies had a period of being so impressed with Zhenya's consistency that they didn't care much about anything else, which didn't happen in men, though I guess men never had a Zhenya-like figure).

13 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I don't really think they are. I think the ISU is just thoughtless and doesn't care to incentivize technical proficiency so long as it "looks good enough." The 4A value, is, imo, just laziness--the quad values are lazy in general, above the 4S they scream "we just wanted to make this easy to remember" instead of "we designed this in order reflect the physical demands of these jumps and/or the precedents set by other parts of our scoring system." 4Lo 10.5, 4F 11, 4Lz 11.5, 4A 12.5...if that's not prioritizing easy to remember numbers, I don't know what is. It's also totally divergent from 3Lo 4.9, 3F 5.3, 3Lz 5.9, 3A 8 in a way that makes zero sense. 3A is 2.1 points harder than 3Lz but 4A is only 1 pt harder than 4Lz? Especially with the prerotated jumps that pass as 4Lzs these days.

2S -> -5 is just because of short program requirements, I don't think Yuzu is particularly prone to popping jumps in the short, so it can't really be considered an anti-him rule.

I do think that Yuzu hasn't ever really benefitted much from judging trends. When he first became a senior PCS could really, really save you (cough Patrick Chan cough) whereas now PCS is almost as irrelevant to placements among top men as spins. Recently, judges have decided they care about the number and kind of difficult jumps you can do above anything else, which Nathan has an edge in. So Yuzu's strength (relative to competitors) was tech in the PCS dominated era, and now Yuzu's relative strength is PCS in the jumping bean dominated era. I don't think this is a conspiracy against Yuzu though, so much as a combination of bad luck and judges engaging in trend-dominated groupthink, because these trends exist in ladies as well (though they aren't exactly the same--ladies had a period of being so impressed with Zhenya's consistency that they didn't care much about anything else, which didn't happen in men, though I guess men never had a Zhenya-like figure).

I think you are either far more objective than I can be or more positive, but it also feels like to me like these new changes came about after they sat down and watched Yuzu's programs throughout last season to find things they could penalize more, that hadn't been penalized enough for their taste. I doubt anyone would care about a double jump in the short program being worth 0 points or -5 points if Yuzu hadn't almost reached 100 points despite having an invalid element in his short. Minimizing the penalty for underrotating and for long preparation before jumps is also hard to ignore, considering one of Yuzu's 'rivals' is a well known underrotator  (who I think didn't get many UR calls at Worlds, which then resulted in a third place), and the other, bigger rival, is always criticized for long preparation (by those who still do criticize him).

On top of that, like you said, the quad scores don't have much logic, but if we take round numbers as a logic, then 4A should have been 12, given the way the others increase. Or, it could have just as well stayed 15, because that was far more round than 12.5 and even though there have been others showing an interest in it, only one skater has ever stated it very seriously and is generally believed to have a big chance at it. (I'm not sure Keegan had spoken about it before the score change, but Yuzu had.)

And on top of that, while to some extent I get it, the 'lack of energy' bit also feels dedicated, given Yuzu's well known stamina issues and the fact that he did lack some energy in the FS at Worlds. One wonders how they'll judge that for songs that are meant to be slow and lacking in energy...

I'm not sure if I seriously believe ISU is anti-Yuzu, but they do seem really great at shooting themselves in both feet... I'm not sure how other sports treat their top stars, but I have a hard time believing it's quite like this.

I also remember last year a lot of people were saying that the rules were in Yuzu's favor, not Nathan's, the GOE changes would help him and that the only repeat one quad rule would benefit those with lesser quads and I could never understand why they thought that. I'd say it turns out they were wrong all along and in my bias, I find it hard to believe it's a coincidence that suddenly Yuzu's GOE and PCS advantages have virtually vanished after the rule change.