General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Louitunes said:

His face it like that cos he's saying..."Come on Nate - hands off the butt - manner hands mate!!!! ".  Nathan's response "Ooops sorry....hands too low!!".  Vincent (through gritted teeth) "Phew...shoulder was the right way to go".

I was thinking of a much more ...ahem...juvenile interpretation. More along the lines of 'who did that?!:disappointed: >green cloud< >holds nose<

Darren McClure/Toneshift: I read that your new “Origin” EP was inspired in part by Yuzuru Hanyu.  Could you expand a little on that.  I’m based in Japan and he is a really popular figure here, so I’m interested in hearing why he’s important to you.

Kelly Moran: I am really passionate about figure skating – outside of music it’s the one activity I am most involved in, both as a fan and as a skater myself. Anyone who knows about figure skating knows that Yuzuru Hanyu is simply the greatest skater of all time, and following his career has been immensely inspiring for me – especially in his most recent, post-Olympic season. The fact that Hanyu has continued to skate after winning back to back Olympics – an accomplishment that most people would surely retire after – shows how dedicated he is as an athlete. His drive and will to improve his skating and continue pushing himself to the limit even when he is already considered the greatest ever is endlessly inspiring to me. I saw how he dedicated his programs to Johnny Weir and Evgeny Plushenko this past year and thought it was so touching that he would pay tribute and acknowledge the people who have helped him develop into the great athlete and artist he is.

I watch Hanyu’s programs on a weekly basis to remind myself how hard he works to accomplish his goals. Unlike musicians, skaters have a very limited period in which they can accomplish their career goals as competitive athletes. Most of them don’t compete over the age of 30, so they know they have to use their time wisely and work as hard as possible during those years. I consider myself a hardworking musician, but I know I don’t work nearly as hard as these skaters do, so I watch their programs to motivate myself to become better at my own artistic practices. When I’m feeling lazy about practicing piano, I think about how Hanyu has to jump quads at practice, and that gets me out of bed! To me, there is no one more inspiring than Yuzu for what he can make people feel when you watch his programs…I have endless respect for him.

Anyway, considering all this, when I was naming my EP, I thought about how this album shows the origins of the music that eventually became my LP Ultraviolet. (The EP has early demos that later developed into the compositions on the LP.) At the same time, I had been following Hanyu’s 2018-2019 competitive season, in which he named his free skate “Origin” after Evgeny Plushenko… so I thought, why don’t I make my album a tribute to Hanyu’s tribute, to show how much he has also inspired me? Hanyu inspires legions of skaters around the world, but I wanted to show that he also inspires people in other fields like music because what he creates on the ice is transcendent.

38 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Darren McClure/Toneshift: I read that your new “Origin” EP was inspired in part by Yuzuru Hanyu.  Could you expand a little on that.  I’m based in Japan and he is a really popular figure here, so I’m interested in hearing why he’s important to you.

I always get so happy to hear about how other artists are paying tribute to Yuzu. I am sure he would feel really happy to know how much he has inspired so many people in this world even outside of figure skating.