General Yuzuru Chat

39 minutes ago, cvdnce said:

It was an honor to be interviewed.  I am so happy for the positive response to our tribute.   Hoping to go to ACI this year.   

Yes, I was going to recommend just ACI, if Yuzu decides not to miss his annual debut place. :) He might also be picked for Skate Canada. 

Thank you again, it was really fascinating and great to learn the way professional dancers regard Yuzu! Now we will be proud of his being balletic!

20 minutes ago, cvdnce said:

It was an honor to be interviewed.  I am so happy for the positive response to our tribute. Hoping to go to ACI this year.   

From me a big THANK YOU as well!! It's a fantastic tribute and inspiring interview!! Very very well done :1497158260_5GOE:

“When I saw Yuzu skate in Pyeongchang, I thought he must be an accomplished ballet dancer who also skates,” Valdez stated. “That was my first assumption, just based on his port de bras (carriage of the arms), carriage of the body. He moves like a ballet dancer. I thought he was classically trained. It doesn’t matter, he is natural, so it’s beautiful.”

Now this is really interesting, because my first impression of Yuzu's skating was: "Oh! He is not a ballet dancer!" :68468287: For me ballet is probably the most demanding and precise dance with a rehearsed sequence of steps following very strict rules in movement and especially in posture. [Please punch me, if my image of ballet is distorted.]

I think that Yuzu's skating is inspired by western styles (ballet included), but he always leaves some space to improvise, break with the standards and do moves or postures that are non-western at all. He skates the way it feels and looks best for him, it's a bit like a mood (especially his stroking in practice). So yes, it is very natural and authentic. I think I would call it a Yuzu-specific freestyle with perfect body control. (I'm open for opposition :laughing:)

1 minute ago, makebelieveup said:

I said this on twitter but thank you once again for this interview. Yuzu has had many antis who maliciously attacked Japanese public figures and ballerinas who openly praised Yuzu's artistic ability. To have a studio full of ballerinas tributing to him is very heartwarming for me. It is like an indirect defense for Yuzu. 

It's so sad actually that Yuzu has to be defended at all. Open your eyes, open the rulebook, cancel your bias and there should be no need for additional defense. You can like his style or not, but from a technical and (evaluable) artistic point of view Yuzuru Hanyu doesn't leave much room for criticism. Latest complaints like "lacks passion", "doesn't point with his toe pick into direction X" or "looks down all the time" pretty much confirm this. If you run out of reasonable arguments, you switch to... well. :laughing:

35 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

From me a big THANK YOU as well!! It's a fantastic tribute and inspiring interview!! Very very well done :1497158260_5GOE:

Now this is really interesting, because my first impression of Yuzu's skating was: "Oh! He is not a ballet dancer!" :68468287: For me ballet is probably the most demanding and precise dance with a rehearsed sequence of steps following very strict rules in movement and especially in posture. [Please punch me, if my image of ballet is distorted.]

I think that Yuzu's skating is inspired by western styles (ballet included), but he always leaves some space to improvise, break with the standards and do moves or postures that are non-western at all. He skates the way it feels and looks best for him, it's a bit like a mood (especially his stroking in practice). So yes, it is very natural and authentic. I think I would call it a Yuzu-specific freestyle with perfect body control. (I'm open for opposition :laughing:)

It's so sad actually that Yuzu has to be defended at all. Open your eyes, open the rulebook, cancel your bias and there should be no need for additional defense. You can like his style or not, but from a technical and (evaluable) artistic point of view Yuzuru Hanyu doesn't leave much room for criticism. Latest complaints like "lacks passion", "doesn't point with his toe pick into direction X" or "looks down all the time" pretty much confirm this. If you run out of reasonable arguments, you switch to... well. :laughing:

"lacks passion" yet "too dramatic" :wut:

"fakes injury" yet "he will be disabled in no time" :umm:

and now "doesnt point his toe pick into direction x" :deadinside: what even 

i guess i shouldnt dive too deeply into what haters think or try to make sense of it

---

shall have a planet streaming party?because its Cacti season again! which one are you?

not sure if this is shared but his small face tops this list

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:
I had the very urgent need to edit a quick collection of Yuzu's sit spins. Because quality.

@Henni147 Thank you for all your beautiful collections.  Yuzu's spin reminded me of a conversation I had with my Iranian friend about the significance of spinning movement in a sacred dance, like the Sema of Sufi adherents (whirling dances).  Some years back we had visited Konya, Turkey to attend the Rumi music festival and we recalled sharing a special feeling of awe and humility when we encounter beauty, and the similarity of that feeling when we watch Yuzu's performance.   I grew up in Iran and I find Rumi's works deeply moving.  Yuzu's spins are an an extension of human endeavor - an expression of love to achieve a meditative state and unity with universe.  All the skaters endeavour to achieve that state, but it seems Yuzu comes closer to that special moment of grace. 

"Love is the dancing cry of the soul, calling the body to worship 
Like a shining whirlpool, or a spinning mayfly 
So is love among the skies." - Mawlana Rumi

Here is an article which provides some background on the Sema ceremony. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2015/dec/18/whirling-dervishes-at-the-rumi-festival-in-konya-a-photo-essay

1 hour ago, makebelieveup said:

shall have a planet streaming party?because its Cacti season again! which one are you?

I think I am still(?) a happy cactus though I occasionally become angry cactus when I see some $&@f# on the FS tag in any socmed I am on :animated-smileys-angry-033: although I don't have any Pooh, nor Yuzu mooks :( (maybe I should get a Pooh stat? :think:)

...anyhow, I guess I am already resigned to the possibility that it might be one heck of a long drought™ :sigh:. I'll cope somehow...

31 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

I think I am still(?) a happy cactus though I occasionally become angry cactus when I see some $&@f# on the FS tag in any socmed I am on :animated-smileys-angry-033: although I don't have any Pooh, nor Yuzu mooks :( (maybe I should get a Pooh stat? :think:)

...anyhow, I guess I am already resigned to the possibility that it might be one heck of a long drought™ :sigh:. I'll cope somehow...

I guess I'm a happy cactus too still without Pooh(but i have a cat and that helps):

@cvdnce again thank you for your interview,i agree about the way he moves his arms and his whole posture screams ballet dancer to me!

And not to forget his bauetiful way of moving his hands and fingers.

3 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

"lacks passion" yet "too dramatic" :wut:

"fakes injury" yet "he will be disabled in no time" :umm:

and now "doesnt point his toe pick into direction x" :deadinside: what even 

i guess i shouldnt dive too deeply into what haters think or try to make sense of it

---

not sure if this is shared but his small face tops this list

I'm a semi-dry cactus.  Accept my fate.  Hopefully tickets to GPF.  Sighs at news.  As none of it is really info re Yuzu.  Will resurrect as soon as he leaves his cave but is happy for him to remain there for the time being ....in healing mode!!!

:th_tumbleweed:

I'd very much appreciate a streaming party. :matrix:

Thanks @cvdnce, it is great to hear your professional comments for Yuzu, and have them published on papers!  All the best to your team’s performance too.  Actually I wont be surprised if you would receive congratulations /thank-you flowers from Mr Hanyu, or if he would invite you to the back stage at ACI to say hello or seek your feedback of his (new) programs...  as he “knows everything” and these seem like his personality!  Am dreaming for you already, lol:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

14 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I had the very urgent need to edit a quick collection of Yuzu's sit spins. Because quality.

:cough:NotteStellataBarcelona:cough:

Though damn, I thought the LCG spins were da shit but then Otonal happened. Though my mom told me to rewind the Origin final spin twice, because of the on-the-note acceleration.