2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I think, I've finally found Yuzu's Pokémon-counterpart:

Hide contents

Name: Victini

Pokédex no.: #000

Type: Psychic/ Fire

Ability: Victory Star

p6LRfHz.jpg

"Victini is said to bring victory to the Trainer that befriends it. It produces an infinite amount of energy within itself and can share it with others by touch. It can also become invisible."

Yeah, that sounds like somebody. :laughing:

5 hours ago, micaelis said:

The very young Yuzu and the Yuzu verging on puberty were always cheerful, ever-smiling.  Life was fun for him (at least skating life was fun) and there are few people I've seen at that age who merit more the title of 'urchin'.  That was Yuzu's operative situation until 3/11.  The earthquake gave him a massive dose of reality which he himself on more than one occasion has said radically affected him.  We know the internal conflicts that ran riot in him trying to square off his continuing his skating as against a need for something concrete to contribute to the reconstruction.  Yuzu smiled after the quake but his smiles were no longer almost omnipresent.  He grew up a lot in those days immediately following the quake.  I think one of the reasons he has that certain aura about him is that there are few athletes who have ever stared Death in the face.  Yuzu with no exaggeration truly feared for his life that afternoon when he scrambled to get off the ice and out of the building.  That experience has given him a depth rarely to be found in the ranks of elite athletes.

I think it went even further - not only because Yuzu faced violent death (and saw it all around him) at such a young age and had to overcome and rise over his survivor's guilt and responsibility, but also rapidly became a symbol for Sendai, the whole disaster area and all of Japan of that rise. He must have realised very quickly that, sweet and goofy kid or no, he was going to have to carry the hopes and emotional catharsis for thousands of people suffering grief and long-term trauma - that he could help them by being that symbol, being what they needed someone to be, a survivor, a champion, a hero.  You see it best in the older people and the children when he visits or skates for them: the old folk make me almost cry when they watch him, he's not just a skater to them, I find myself wondering (as I do sometimes watching Yuzu) "what do you see?" because it's clearly something more.  There's an extra gravitas to Yuzu at those times and when he is called on to be that symbol, that few others can, need to, or would want to have.

It's wonderful and inspiring, but it's also a hell of a burden as well, albeit once he takes on himself willingly and always has. 

1 hour ago, TallyT said:

It's wonderful and inspiring, but it's also a hell of a burden as well, albeit once he takes on himself willingly and always has. 

It goes beyond "willingly". - he throws himself into it and is happy to do it, and if you watch the news footage on his visit to the disaster areas post-Sochi, he has said that he feels like it's not enough and he should be doing more. 

My guess is what Yuzu symbolizes to Sendai is probably something like "We're not crushed. We will get over this and have a future." 

watching this part around 10:40 where the interviewer said to Scott "you hate to lose. you're in it to win it. i know you like to dance but you like to win." and Scott said "tbh its just nice when somebody says that because its funny how people dont understand that if we're coming back to enjoy ourselves and we're coming back for the sport, for the love of the sport, they think thats separate from winning. in my mind thats not really it. we have the most fun when we're winning." 

Sounds like that with our boy, doesnt it? somehow, after watching this i relate it back to yuzu's programs this season and find a new meaning to the theme of origin.

when he came back after PC, all of us werent sure of his sole motivation for staying, and i think at that point, from what we know from his interview, he was also asking himself the same question. while the act of continuing after pyeongchang could have many meanings to it, such as that he simply loved skating, felt competitive enough, wanted to finish any unresolved businesses like fulfilling his teacher's words that he would attempt the 4axel in his generation and tributing to his heroes, the most obvious motivation that didnt seem so obvious at that time was to keep winning.

thinking back, after he announced about origin and otonal and explained his reasons for doing these programs, i felt as if this could be his last season. I guess thats because the idea of skating for himself seemed too much of a leisure, which lacked a sense of competitiveness. And this idea didnt just come without justifications. Yuzu had said he wanted to go back to experience the feelings of why he started skating. He said he would not focus on the scores. This was evident by the fact that he put all his jumps in the first half for the short at ACI. But what happened? It took Yuzu one competition, even after having won and that it being his first competition, for all of us and Yuzu to learn that "skating for himself" obviously didnt project such meaning. At that time I was a bit worried seeing how kuyashii he was over a minor competition where he actually won. but now it actually encourages me because that is what origin really about and should be about.

while these programs are tributes, only until they were skated from a place for himself that could project the true meaning behind Origin. Because skating for himself means skating from a place to achieve the highest victory, and when he could achieve this, it reminds him of why he loves figure skating, why he started skating, and why he continues to skate. That motivation to win, to accumulate more happiness of being able to win -- not just for the medals -- is the foundational driver for staying. im glad that he has come to term with this early enough so that whatever he is working toward for the next seasons will be clear and no time wasted. I look forward to see what we will see more from him. Hearing what Scott said and knowing how they ended up winning the Olympics have given me hope.  

Wow! It's amazing how much Patrick has grown and matured over the years. He talks about how his perception of Yuzu has evolved through the years. He speaks so highly of Yuzu. :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

It's really good to hear Patrick say these words and watch his body language on video. Kudos to him for acknowledging a competitor's excellence like this.

I'm so happy that Chiddy has found peace and closure. Besides, he has achieved amazing things and should be proud of himself. :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

10 часов назад, makebelieveup сказал:

watching this part around 10:40 where the interviewer said to Scott "you hate to lose. you're in it to win it. i know you like to dance but you like to win." and Scott said "tbh its just nice when somebody says that because its funny how people dont understand that if we're coming back to enjoy ourselves and we're coming back for the sport, for the love of the sport, they think thats separate from winning. in my mind thats not really it. we have the most fun when we're winning." 

Sounds like that with our boy, doesnt it? somehow, after watching this i relate it back to yuzu's programs this season and find a new meaning to the theme of origin.

when he came back after PC, all of us werent sure of his sole motivation for staying, and i think at that point, from what we know from his interview, he was also asking himself the same question. while the act of continuing after pyeongchang could have many meanings to it, such as that he simply loved skating, felt competitive enough, wanted to finish any unresolved businesses like fulfilling his teacher's words that he would attempt the 4axel in his generation and tributing to his heroes, the most obvious motivation that didnt seem so obvious at that time was to keep winning.

thinking back, after he announced about origin and otonal and explained his reasons for doing these programs, i felt as if this could be his last season. I guess thats because the idea of skating for himself seemed too much of a leisure, which lacked a sense of competitiveness. And this idea didnt just come without justifications. Yuzu had said he wanted to go back to experience the feelings of why he started skating. He said he would not focus on the scores. This was evident by the fact that he put all his jumps in the first half for the short at ACI. But what happened? It took Yuzu one competition, even after having won and that it being his first competition, for all of us and Yuzu to learn that "skating for himself" obviously didnt project such meaning. At that time I was a bit worried seeing how kuyashii he was over a minor competition where he actually won. but now it actually encourages me because that is what origin really about and should be about.

while these programs are tributes, only until they were skated from a place for himself that could project the true meaning behind Origin. Because skating for himself means skating from a place to achieve the highest victory, and when he could achieve this, it reminds him of why he loves figure skating, why he started skating, and why he continues to skate. That motivation to win, to accumulate more happiness of being able to win -- not just for the medals -- is the foundational driver for staying. im glad that he has come to term with this early enough so that whatever he is working toward for the next seasons will be clear and no time wasted. I look forward to see what we will see more from him. Hearing what Scott said and knowing how they ended up winning the Olympics have given me hope.  

I keep remembering Pluschenko's words in some interview about Yuzu: you don't understand, he said, there is nobody more hungry for medals as a top athlete, a champion. His words seemed a bit strange to me then, but as I look at Yuzu, or Daisuke, or Brian Joubert and many others who stay and who return, I think there is a lot of truth to it. So I will just wish Yuzu (and I'm speaking it into existence), that when he retires, he will do it on his own terms, like Javi, and will be if not happy about it, then at least content.

3 hours ago, SuperMin said:

I wonder if being a “Fanyu” is a job requirement for the social networking managers of all these sites ( eg EDEA, Olympic channel, etc) :winky:

I don't know, if @ISU_Figure SN manager is a Fanyu or not, but it's not the easiest job at the moment for sure:

1. Yuzu is included in the picture selection of a post:

---> "HOW DARE YOU ISU TO USE HIM AS A CLICKBAIT AGAIN!!!"

2. Yuzu is not included in the picture selection of a post:

---> "HOW DARE YOU ISU TO IGNORE HIM AGAIN!!!"

https://mobile.twitter.com/ISU_Figure/status/1121397698769375232

Me: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: