General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

Another translation of Chiddy's comments about Yuzu

its nice seeing patrick's growth and his words moved me. even if ur not a fan of him, you have to admit he was a great skater and his loss was something thats hard to take if i were him. But i guess he now realizes losing to a 2x ogm isnt bad after all

47 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Another translation of Chiddy's comments about Yuzu

And I am unexpectedly moved by Patrick's words: he's grown up so much, and I actually understand where he is coming from. I remember not liking him at the time of Sochi Olympics because you could tell how gutted he was to have lost to Yuzu, and I felt that he lacked humility. But it must have been really tough for him: it took time for him to digest and understand everything that happened, because Yuzu bursted on the scene like a whirlwind at the time, and steadily became a threat while Patrick still believed he was untouchable. Now that he has made peace with all this, I'm glad he has a more positive outlook on it: like he was part of Yuzu's extraordinary journey and was one of the persons who gave him the incentive to become better and push himself. I remember Yuzu calling Patrick 'the sun' at the time, because he was this far away entity he had to catch up with no matter what. 

7 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Probably off topic but It always amuses me how the "X is a star only in ____" most of the times, if ever, is only said about athletes famous in non-western regions. I would say that the statement is probably true, FS isn't a very well known sport in most countries, but you hardly see this being brought up about athletes from sports that are famous mostly in the western world.  You'd be hard pressed to find anyone here and I'm from South America to know any athlete from american football, baseball or hockey for example. I assume these sports probably have their niche fans of course just like FS has here but I'm talking in general. Of course, my logic may be skewed because I only have access to the english speaking media and I don't follow other sports news from Asia  not even from my own country to be fair .  Maybe they do the same thing to western athletes and I'm just unaware.  But that's something to think about.  

To be honest, you can count on one hard the number of sports that could be truly global, but even this "global" title is debatable, it's more like a scale. 

About Patrick's comments, he really came around, didn't he?  Chanyu rivalry is really one of my favourites, I still laugh at the amount of debate, passive agressive comments being thrown from Patrick and skating fans, 3734987 pages of people comparing the two :laughing: It was a ride. And Patrick was an important figure as a goal point in the development of Yuzuru's skating and he mentioned it several times, great that Yuzuru in the end got some recognition in return from him.  I'm happy that the rivalry had a good closure with Chiddy making  peace with himself about what happened in Sochi. Realizing the caliber that Yuzuru has as a skater probably took off some of the guilt that he felt, hence the comment about how "losing to him was inevitable". I think the Gold at the team event also helped.  maybe the team event really is useful for something after all k

6 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Something on the lighter side: Google Translate often calls Yuzu 'Hanyu Strings' when I try to read Japanese articles with it. Now it's taken to calling Keiji 'Tanaka Detective'. :ohmygod::xD:

Keiji is the detective part — yeah, 刑事(けいじ)(keiji) means detective (or police inspector). One other instance I ever came across was when I found out that Lieutenant Columbo is translated into 刑事コロンボ (inspector Columbo). Keiji fans has even called him deka (short from "detective") Tanaka during competitions ;)

9 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Keiji is the detective part — yeah, 刑事(けいじ)(keiji) means detective (or police inspector). One other instance I ever came across was when I found out that Lieutenant Columbo is translated into 刑事コロンボ (inspector Columbo). Keiji fans has even called him deka (short from "detective") Tanaka during competitions ;)

Now that I know that, I wanna see him do a Detective Conan-inspired ex. Since he seems to have a lot of fun with anime programs. 

On 4/25/2019 at 2:48 PM, kaeryth said:

Oooh they used the HYK photo for the article — not too HQ but good pick nonetheless :flowers:

As for the "Star only in (insert region)" statement, while that might sound annoying to us fans, I still think that it's a fair assessment. Yes, his influence has spread far and wide but since FS is a niche sport it can be a bit hard to feel his hegemonic dominance from outside the sphere of influence. But maybe I thought too well of SZ on that part :)) (let's face it, just the fact that SZ cared enough to put him in in the list is good enough for me already)

*Then again, if you take Asia to be from Turkey to Japan, and from Mongolia to Indonesia (instead of the immediate sphere of China-Japan-Korea), then that's undoubtedly a wide sphere of influence, half of the world already (but I am no cartographer, don't take my word on that one! ;Þ )

10 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Now that I know that, I wanna see him do a Detective Conan-inspired ex. Since he seems to have a lot of fun with anime programs. 

Takagi Keiji pls  :xD: 

Spoiler

20130604213819!Wataru_Takagi.jpg

Seriously: it would be so cool to have a show like 'Anime on Ice'. There are so many iconic soundtracks and beloved series all over the world like Pokemon, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Detective Conan, One Piece, Dragonball, Naruto, Yuri on Ice and countless others. Just imagine the great costumes, choreos, nostalgia and fun. It's like rewatching your childhood on ice [and adolescence, too, of course]. Plus: Yuzu would have a nice setting to skate to Tokyo Ghoul :67638860: