General Yuzuru Chat

54 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

8 Years!  Is it some sort of advanced subject or just because he's part time?

I've pointed this out before but I'll do it again.  Yuzu's major is very advanced and technical.  Cognitive science involves grounding in psychology, sociology, neurology, computer science, mathematics and philosophy.  It's demands are great but when has Yuzu ever not taken up a challenge?  Yuzu's already begun applying some of its principles by mathematically breaking down some skating moves and such.  When's the last time a skater has analyzed moves he's making by using calculus to increase his understanding of it?  We have to realize that if Yuzu weren't a world class skater most people would describe him as a nerd or geek.  That distinction doesn't phase Yuzu in the slightest.  I have a feeling that when Yuzu goes through commencement at the conclusion of his studies the ceremony will be broadcast live, further proof that for many Japanese Yuzu is more than a skater.  It's that element, the element that makes Yuzu so popular beyond the realms of figure skating fandom that I feel makes the fans of other Japanese skaters so angry.  They know that there is no way their skater can match up against Yuzu when it comes to qualities beyond simple skating skills.  Quite simply, Yuzu is a superior human being.

1 hour ago, Anki said:

The course if I remember right gave a choice of 4 to 8 years to complete...He has obviously chose the latter option. I recall he mentioned before that he could speed up getting the degree by taking random subjects to fill up the units, but then he doesn't want to get a degree just for the sake of a degree, he actually wants to study subjects he is interested in properly so hence why he isn't doing that. 

I read (from some Yuzu’s fans) that the course takes about 6 to 8 years, but I ‘m not sure.

Actually, I’ve been wondering what Waseda University has offered to Yuzu (Olympic champion) AND other elite athletes so that they have optimal conditions to combine studies and competing at elite levels.

In most countries, Olympic champions / medalists and Olympians have been given lots of supports (e.g. scholarships, flexibility) by local universities. Some are admitted to universities (e.g. undergraduate or master's degree) without entrance exams.

I haven’t read any information about it from Waseda University, or I just miss that? :think:

20 minutes ago, faeline said:

From what I've read, Yuzu took the standard entrance exams to enter Waseda University. There were clips of him studying in Narita airport when he had to travel for competitions, and when asked, he said that he's a university candidate.

Thanks for your reply :10742289: and what you stated is the FACT I know since Day 1.

My post is about what Waseda University has offered to Yuzu and other Olympians so that they can have optimal conditions to pursue their academic goals, elite sporting careers and other areas in their life.

Just wonder if Waseda University has ever told the public as I’ve never read any?:think:

1 hour ago, makebelieveup said:

Max retires!!!

this is why I love people name Max LOL

I should name my child Max so he  could grow up smart

Russians love him so much I am soft, also Kovtun good luck with everything and wish your injuries to recover completely! 

55 minutes ago, Leanna A said:

Thanks for your reply :10742289: and what you stated is the FACT I know since Day 1.

My post is about what Waseda University has offered to Yuzu and other Olympians so that they can have optimal conditions to pursue their academic goals, elite sporting careers and other areas in their life.

Just wonder if Waseda University has ever told the public as I’ve never read any?:think:

Waseda is a pretty elite school and hard to get into, as I understand it. If they offer academic accomodation to athletes, it's probably only things like being allowed to study part-time or by correspondence. 

A Waseda professor said Yuzuru's subject often take 6-8 years to finish and many gave up because its too hard. As far as I remember he often spend spring and summer as major learning time. A few years ago he said he only sleep 5-6 hours/day during ice shows and always studying right after performing. 

13 hours ago, Ashley2162018 said:

Regarding Yuzu using power. I just don't think he is the type of person who will use power for his own benefit.

Aye and this has multiple reasons:

1. Pride As much as Yuzu wants to win, I don't think he would ever risk his good reputation for a medal. It's better to go down in history as the most underscored and popular skater than wearing a disputed gold around your neck. It's hard to fight an entire system. It's harder to get rid of a tainted image.
  2. Quality As long as Yuzu is able to skate with such quality, he won't waste a thought on using his (political) power. His performance on the ice speaks for itself. It's quite funny actually how he forces everyone to go to the extremes. By sheer quality.
  3. Support Yuzu doesn't have to do any (active) politicking. The media and his fans do it for him with a magnitude that puts even the biggest feds into shame. ISU might not transfer this resonance 1:1 into points, but it makes every appearance of Yuzu feel extra sweet. Whenever he enters the ice, the air starts to vibrate and shut down the scoreboard before the competition has even started. And deep in the heart everyone knows it :10814716:
50 minutes ago, Katt said:

A Waseda professor said Yuzuru's subject often take 6-8 years to finish and many gave up because its too hard. As far as I remember he often spend spring and summer as major learning time. A few years ago he said he only sleep 5-6 hours/day during ice shows and always studying right after performing. 

When I saw the clips of him studying, it made me think is he taking a medical/engineering course? It was kind of anatomy with physics. And honestly if it takes 6-8years to complete isn't that almost equivalent into being a doctor?

2 hours ago, Leanna A said:

I’m not sure Waseda would have to do anything but offer flexibility in when he can takes classes.  6-8 years would imply he can go part time.  As he has so many engagements and obligations maybe they’ll give him an extra year or 2?  

2 hours ago, Ashley2162018 said:

When I saw the clips of him studying, it made me think is he taking a medical/engineering course? It was kind of anatomy with physics. And honestly if it takes 6-8years to complete isn't that almost equivalent into being a doctor?

"Human cognitive sciences" or something like that? I'm still not sure what that is, but I get the impression it's kind of on the intersection of biology and tech.