General Yuzuru Chat

Guys, a really long and interesting interview of Max regarding World Championships: in the first 10 minutes he speaks at lenght regarding the Men's podium and the biggest issue regarding scoring: no, not talking about corruption but about the imbalance of TES (which can go up to 130 for men) and PCS (which can go up to 100). He speaks a lot also about junior ladies and I suggest everyone to listen to him closely because it's just enlightening. The video has English subtitles!!! (I will post this in the Gen Skating thread because it is more pertinent there... but also I wanted to give max visibility to Max, LOL)

15 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Guys, a really long and interesting interview of Max regarding World Championships: in the first 10 minutes he speaks at lenght regarding the Men's podium and the biggest issue regarding scoring: no, not talking about corruption but about the imbalance of TES (which can go up to 130 for men) and PCS (which can go up to 100). He speaks a lot also about junior ladies and I suggest everyone to listen to him closely because it's just enlightening. The video has English subtitles!!! (I will post this in the Gen Skating thread because it is more pertinent there... but also I wanted to give max visibility to Max, LOL)

@ElenaC will add English subtitles soon. I'm curious what he says, I enjoyed reading his interview about Worlds Men competition.

11 hours ago, LourdesMoon said:

As a Canadian myself, I too feel he's an honorary Canadian and his comments about Canadian nature are really lovely to read.

(feel free to not read this part if you don't want to read a pessimistic take)

On a more serious note, I am always doubtful whenever we see him featured anywhere now because it seems exploitative. Kurt and PJ always do have kind things to say but it always rubs me the wrong way when broadcasts and even these "Behind the Scenes" that they do, focus on either fan adulation, something in relation to Brian and Tracy (because they are the Canadian connections) or the "Pooh Rain". Kurt of course is free to like whoever he wants, but often says things that are...problematic? It truly sucks because my mother and I always look forward to listening to the CBC broadcast because they are more objective than most, but less accurate with information than let's say, the Italian commentators or straightforward like the Japanese ones. 

To list a couple examples, Kurt has mentioned Shoma's pre-rotation and hard landings but never mentioned how or if that should be reflected in the marks. I remember Helsinki Worlds when Javi had a bad Free Skate and they (very reasonably) mentioned the psychological difficulty of skating last, but have never mentioned this when Yuzu had done so multiple times, or the reversal of skating first? Nathan's very brave skate after the Pooh Rain in Saitama has been commented on by multiple broadcasters and fans, but Kurt has implied before (ex: WTT 2017) that the pressure of a Japanese crowd should not be a hindrance for Yuzu but encouragement. 4CC 2017 featured Hope and Legacy being very low-key "bashed" (for lack of a better word) when it had been previously praised by CBC commentators at NHK2016 and GPF 2016. The more obvious comment I can't excuse is the one at the Olympics when Kurt mentioned something to the effect of, "if Nathan had not bombed his short program he would be in the lead" after Yuzu had just finished his Seimei Free Program. 

There's always little interjections of comments about Brian's past or the "Japanese crowd" (without mentioning the possibility of international fans being there as well, or that all Asian looking fans are not Japanese) that distract from moments when they could comment on the actual program. Alternatively, I will say that someone on twitter made a very interesting comment on how Kurt might be projecting himself onto Nathan since they both failed to win Olympic Gold, were country favourites to win, and both have fun styles of interpreting music. I don't know if that's true but he does focus a lot on the good more so than the bad with Nathan and Shoma. Yuzu, as always, seems to be held to a higher standard even though the CBC cast obviously adore him. 

None of these things are intentional, but it's annoying as someone who listens to them repeat certain narratives again and again. I look forward to seeing what they'll say here. PJ has also been someone convinced that Nathan now has the full package so I don't see them questioning his marks at all, though I wish they would. Again, please ignore my rant that I can't share anywhere else but have decided to 'word vomit' onto this chat LOL. 

I agree somewhat with what you're saying but on the other hand, Yuzu is the guy everyone is talking about because he is the one at the top, this year's Worlds notwithstanding. It would be weird for them not to talk about him, just like 15-20 years ago, it would have been weird for them not to talk about Plushenko. And they're broadcasting for general audience, not just figure skating fans. So it would be unrealistic for them ignore all the parts of the phenomenon that Yuzu fans have become, because all of that is interesting to a broader audience. 

As for Kurt saying or implying that skating in front of a Japanese crowd should be encouragement for Yuzu, I'm pretty sure Yuzu himself has said exactly the same thing in interviews, so I do not see the problem. 

As for the rest, it's kind of speculative to say things like Kurt might be projecting himself on Nathan because their situations are similar, etc. Again, if you think of the general audience CBC is aiming at, half them will be wondering why so much time in the broadcast is devoted to a Japanese skater, so it makes sense (even if it's very annoying) that Brian and Tracy get mentioned over and over again as the Canadian connection there. 

The part of their commentary I find cringey is when they try to be poetic and venture into flights of fancy with their language and say things that aren't really skating-related. Those types of comments get really easily lost in translation and can be misinterpreted by non-English speakers. 

But again, if you look at their commentary from the perspective that it's supposed to be reaching a general Canadian audience that may or may not know all that much about figure skating, as opposed to an audience made up of say, satellites, a lot of the issues become more understandable. 

And frankly, I don't agree with all the dislike of media coverage of the 'Pooh rain' and other fan things. Stuff like the Pooh rain sticks out, media is going to cover it, and it's the freedom of the press to decide how they want to portray the story. If people don't want to see Pooh rain in the media, then stop making it rain Pooh's and the press will go away, it's that simple. You can't have it both ways - you can't make big splashy fan gestures that attract attention, and at the same time expect it to go unremarked, especially not at an event like figure skating that already has intense media coverage. 

10 hours ago, Dreamer said:

My favorite commentators are Max with Angelo, and the Russian commentators, with translations in English.  Russian commentators have a real appreciation for beautiful skating, technical and artistry: I love their commentary.

I find the Russians talk too much. My favorite commentators are the Japanese ones because they pretty well say nothing other than naming the elements in the program as the skater does them. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I agree somewhat with what you're saying but on the other hand, Yuzu is the guy everyone is talking about because he is the one at the top, this year's Worlds notwithstanding. It would be weird for them not to talk about him, just like 15-20 years ago, it would have been weird for them not to talk about Plushenko. And they're broadcasting for general audience, not just figure skating fans. So it would be unrealistic for them ignore all the parts of the phenomenon that Yuzu fans have become, because all of that is interesting to a broader audience. 

As for Kurt saying or implying that skating in front of a Japanese crowd should be encouragement for Yuzu, I'm pretty sure Yuzu himself has said exactly the same thing in interviews, so I do not see the problem. 

As for the rest, it's kind of speculative to say things like Kurt might be projecting himself on Nathan because their situations are similar, etc. Again, if you think of the general audience CBC is aiming at, half them will be wondering why so much time in the broadcast is devoted to a Japanese skater, so it makes sense (even if it's very annoying) that Brian and Tracy get mentioned over and over again as the Canadian connection there. 

The part of their commentary I find cringey is when they try to be poetic and venture into flights of fancy with their language and say things that aren't really skating-related. Those types of comments get really easily lost in translation and can be misinterpreted by non-English speakers. 

But again, if you look at their commentary from the perspective that it's supposed to be reaching a general Canadian audience that may or may not know all that much about figure skating, as opposed to an audience made up of say, satellites, a lot of the issues become more understandable. 

And frankly, I don't agree with all the dislike of media coverage of the 'Pooh rain' and other fan things. Stuff like the Pooh rain sticks out, media is going to cover it, and it's the freedom of the press to decide how they want to portray the story. If people don't want to see Pooh rain in the media, then stop making it rain Pooh's and the press will go away, it's that simple. You can't have it both ways - you can't make big splashy fan gestures that attract attention, and at the same time expect it to go unremarked, especially not at an event like figure skating that already has intense media coverage. 

My issue with the Pooh Rain is just that it takes up their entire time when Yuzu has finished skating. I don't think it shouldn't be mentioned at all, that would be kinda hard and ridiculous for them not to mention it, but I don't like when 75% of their time spent on thoughts for the program are Pooh Rain comments or something related to Brian. Again, I truly love their commentary, these are small annoyances. I think Kurt's comment about the Japanese crowd being encouragement is something Yuzu has expressed before but it shouldn't be disregarded by commentators when we've heard similar excuses being made about ice conditions,  boot problems, or other pressure. I just think it should mentioned in some capacity, even if its just to say it is pressure, but he usually enjoys it. The "if Nathan had..." comments after Olympics are what bothered me the most about Kurt, and although the projection comment is speculative (and not originally mine), I believe he has related himself to Nathan in the past. Even if untrue, it doesn't excuse his "if" narrative which has also fuelled support for programs that might not have the complete package but still win (ex: Worlds 2019). But no media will be perfect, I know that. My comments were just things I've noticed over the years, and by no means does anyone have to agree. Thanks for adding your own comments on it!

23 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

My issue with the Pooh Rain is just that it takes up their entire time when Yuzu has finished skating. I don't think it shouldn't be mentioned at all, that would be kinda hard and ridiculous for them not to mention it, but I don't like when 75% of their time spent on thoughts for the program are Pooh Rain comments or something related to Brian. Again, I truly love their commentary, these are small annoyances. I think Kurt's comment about the Japanese crowd being encouragement is something Yuzu has expressed before but it shouldn't be disregarded by commentators when we've heard similar excuses being made about ice conditions,  boot problems, or other pressure. I just think it should mentioned in some capacity, even if its just to say it is pressure, but he usually enjoys it. The "if Nathan had..." comments after Olympics are what bothered me the most about Kurt, and although the projection comment is speculative (and not originally mine), I believe he has related himself to Nathan in the past. Even if untrue, it doesn't excuse his "if" narrative which has also fuelled support for programs that might not have the complete package but still win (ex: Worlds 2019). But no media will be perfect, I know that. My comments were just things I've noticed over the years, and by no means does anyone have to agree. Thanks for adding your own comments on it!

The "what if" comments makes me roll my eyes, every time. I remember when yuzu was asked about "what if" shoma landed 4Lo in his free ...lol that question :facepalm: