General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

He should be an honorary Canadian! In my heart he's one. :)

More to the point, Kurt and PJ both know Yuzu personally. Of course they're going to talk about his season. You'll note Nathan didn't make the poster. 

As a Canadian myself, I too feel he's an honorary Canadian and his comments about Canadian nature are really lovely to read.

(feel free to not read this part if you don't want to read a pessimistic take)

On a more serious note, I am always doubtful whenever we see him featured anywhere now because it seems exploitative. Kurt and PJ always do have kind things to say but it always rubs me the wrong way when broadcasts and even these "Behind the Scenes" that they do, focus on either fan adulation, something in relation to Brian and Tracy (because they are the Canadian connections) or the "Pooh Rain". Kurt of course is free to like whoever he wants, but often says things that are...problematic? It truly sucks because my mother and I always look forward to listening to the CBC broadcast because they are more objective than most, but less accurate with information than let's say, the Italian commentators or straightforward like the Japanese ones. 

To list a couple examples, Kurt has mentioned Shoma's pre-rotation and hard landings but never mentioned how or if that should be reflected in the marks. I remember Helsinki Worlds when Javi had a bad Free Skate and they (very reasonably) mentioned the psychological difficulty of skating last, but have never mentioned this when Yuzu had done so multiple times, or the reversal of skating first? Nathan's very brave skate after the Pooh Rain in Saitama has been commented on by multiple broadcasters and fans, but Kurt has implied before (ex: WTT 2017) that the pressure of a Japanese crowd should not be a hindrance for Yuzu but encouragement. 4CC 2017 featured Hope and Legacy being very low-key "bashed" (for lack of a better word) when it had been previously praised by CBC commentators at NHK2016 and GPF 2016. The more obvious comment I can't excuse is the one at the Olympics when Kurt mentioned something to the effect of, "if Nathan had not bombed his short program he would be in the lead" after Yuzu had just finished his Seimei Free Program. 

There's always little interjections of comments about Brian's past or the "Japanese crowd" (without mentioning the possibility of international fans being there as well, or that all Asian looking fans are not Japanese) that distract from moments when they could comment on the actual program. Alternatively, I will say that someone on twitter made a very interesting comment on how Kurt might be projecting himself onto Nathan since they both failed to win Olympic Gold, were country favourites to win, and both have fun styles of interpreting music. I don't know if that's true but he does focus a lot on the good more so than the bad with Nathan and Shoma. Yuzu, as always, seems to be held to a higher standard even though the CBC cast obviously adore him. 

None of these things are intentional, but it's annoying as someone who listens to them repeat certain narratives again and again. I look forward to seeing what they'll say here. PJ has also been someone convinced that Nathan now has the full package so I don't see them questioning his marks at all, though I wish they would. Again, please ignore my rant that I can't share anywhere else but have decided to 'word vomit' onto this chat LOL. 

I found the French Canadian commentators to be very enjoyable in WC 2017 FS.   Kurt sometimes is kinda corny, tries too hard to be funny and always finds a way to make it about himself: alludes to when he had one quad in a program vs today's quadfest...when he choregraphed for Yuzu...etc etc

My favorite commentators are Max with Angelo, and the Russian commentators, with translations in English.  Russian commentators have a real appreciation for beautiful skating, technical and artistry: I love their commentary.

15 hours ago, Geo1 said:

After listening for a while, she stood up and said, "The only reason they go out with you is because they can't tell the difference between a good-looking white guy and an ugly one. I am Canadian and I can tell you that you are two of the ugliest white guys I've seen!"

I suppose it's hypocritical of me to find this hilarious but I do.  And she's probably right. The guys I've known that are specifically into Asian women tend to not care about what they look like as long as they're not fat. 

4 hours ago, Veveco said:

This poster is interesting.  Yuzu is literally front and center.  I get that he was chosen for the extra attention he will garner but I think it''s interesting that they also chose Stepanova & Bukin for the poster.  As far as I know, they don't have a huge NA following and 

10 hours ago, Vulnavia said:

Yuzu's Olympic Seimei video is only 20k views away from five million :dancingpooh:

Actually I started my 3rd time (since last year) of going thru all his performance, documentaries and translations after this WC.  Think am getting to understand better and feel more what this means exactly,  in the midst of competition tactics, attitudes and respect towards the sports, scoring debates, politics outside the field... and many other unfair crazy things at work or real lives...

Spoiler

Extracted from the press conf after OG:

In the media we have been introduced to these terms, in the last year or so, of “fake news” and “alternative facts”… But watching you… and your performance, I was struck by “oh, this is the truth”. This is the truth, and with it, the beauty and the artistry. And I thought that was the answer… This aspiration you have as an Olympic athlete to achieve that level of excellence. I would like to say thank you for that, because you gave us the truth amidst all this nonsense we hear. — Mr Peter Langan, Director-at-large, The Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan

:softYuzu: