General Yuzuru Chat

I'm back!!!  And things are  not nearly as bad as I originally feared.  Ultra-sound of my heart showed a slight flaw in one part but the doctor said it was inconsequential.  The x-ray of my lungs showed nothing wrong there.  Worries about blood pressure were pretty much dismissed as while I did have sky-high blood pressure when transiting to the hospital once there the pressure was marginally high now and then but by and large I was landing in the good to very good parameters.  The extreme edema in my legs has been vanquished and I am now on a regimen to keep it from returning.  The one last major problem, my extreme weakness, has me now beginning what may be several weeks of intense rehabilitation.  Needless to say my spirits are immeasurably improved.

Next thing - really want to thank everyone for the many messages of support I see posted here.  I did not think I was that highly regarded here although I can say I have always tried to be of use to the Planet.  I realize that my writing and intellectual skills are very well-developed but like Yuzu I try to remain humble and to use them in order to contribute ideas and observations that I think will be of interest to others.  I have received a few personal messages over time by some thanking me but I need no thanks.  The Planet has been for me a means to reach out to others who share my intense admiration for that very remarkable human being - Yuzuru Hanyu.  And it has also been an invaluable resource to learn not only about Yuzu but figure skating in general.

Now the good part.  A perusal of the general drift of discussion about Yuzu seems to me to be trying to identify precisely what it is that makes Yuzu so remarkable, leaving aside his supremacy as a skater.  Quite rightly there can be no argument about Yuzu's achievements on the ice.  They are beyond compare and though Nathan might seem to be in the ascendant right now anyone who has an unbiased view of recent men's skating history knows that Nathan can't compare to Yuzu.  But I won't go into details here.  They've been already discussed on this forum.  The im;portant thing to remember is that Yuzu is still the person all the other men are skating against in their training.  LIke Johnny Weir once said - Nobody can beat a perfect Yuzuru Hanyu.  If Yuzu skates with the quality he displayed during those record-rewriting two weeks in late 2015 there is nobody who can touch him.  For us fans of Yuzu of course, we know that that scale of perfection is not something he routinely achieves although he does so often enough to have much of the skating commentariat seeing him as the GOAT or at least the best candidate for that status currently skating.

The real issue currently under discussion is what it is that makes Yuzu so admirable for those who aren't figure-skating fans, those factors that make him and exemplar of the best of humanity in general.  I've stated before but it can't be restated often enough.  Yuzu's greatness lies in his sense of noblesse oblige, his sense that the exalted position which the admiration of the masses have placed him entails a responsibility to give back to them what he can to justify their admiration.  Thus we have the visits to schools, to senior centers, to other venues, where, like members of the British royal family, he tries to help others who are not in such a privileged position as he possesses.  Add that his conquest of the many challenges he has encountered, beginning with the earthquake but also his overcoming his all-too-frequent injuries, what emerges is the truth that there is something essentially heroic about Yuzu.  He has slain no dragons but he has conquered situations that readily compare to dragons.  Yet above all there remains that humility and openness that is so characteristic of Yuzu, that we see all so often in the kiss and cry as he awaits the judges scores and seeks to acknowledge his coaches and his fans.  Yuzu is not afraid to shed tears and that fact, above all, reveals the openness that makes him so special.

I could go on and on but the basic fact is that Yuzu is far more than a skater to his adoring fans.  The only other athlete who possesses that same mixture of excellence and humility that Yuzu possesses is Wayne Gretzky.  Both are national treasures in their respective countries, perceived by the peoples there as exemplars not only of athletic excellence but of human excellence.  I think it is that fact that most riles those in Japan who admire others skaters.  They know there is no way  that their favorites can ever be viewed in the light that Yuzu is.  Yuzu's brand of humanity is one that, unfortunately, is in very short supply in today's world, and it is the recognition of that fact that makes Yuzu's fans the fans they are.  

1 hour ago, Veveco said:

Welcome back @micaelis :10742289:

Is CBC unilaterally adopting Yuzu part of a secret "get Yuzu the scores he deserves by making him almost Canadian" plot? Or just click bait? 

Now, about that US costume.......... 

He should be an honorary Canadian! In my heart he's one. :)

More to the point, Kurt and PJ both know Yuzu personally. Of course they're going to talk about his season. You'll note Nathan didn't make the poster. 

32 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

Yuzu's Olympic Seimei video is only 20k views away from five million :dancingpooh:

Ok. Just watched it again.  I’m convinced... a classical short...a Japanese FS...quad axel...perfect 19-20 season!!!!