General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, SuperMin said:

So on the topic of why everyone loves Yuzu.  I happened on this vid of Yuzu when he arrived back to Japan.  He’s only 19....but he takes the time to pose for pictures, shake hands and bow as much as he can, handling the attention from media and fans with poise. 

Those good old days when fans could come close to him! Now he need security guards :sadPooh: and it's almost impossible to get hand shakes like that

On 4/16/2019 at 12:26 PM, Geo1 said:

The reason for Yuzu's fame and popularity is due to his athletic ability, natural talent and, of course, his looks, but it is so much more than that. It is his personality and charisma. People are unable to describe what it is that they find charming about Yuzuru. People tend to ramble on and on when they speak of him. Basically, he is an incredibly good human being. He is sympathetic and empathetic. He is humble, modest, full of humility. He is honest and person of pure integrity. He has a natural charisma that cannot be faked. At the same time, he has a "hate to lose" personality. He never makes excuses and owns his failures and shortcomings and credits others for his successes. He welcomes challenges and has an incredible ability to overcome obstacles. In short, he has all the qualities that people admire, regardless of which culture you belong to. We all aspire to be like him.

I think one of Yuzu's biggest secrets to popularity is that he swims against the mainstream. While many top athletes try to match stereotypes, star habits and merge into the high society, Yuzu doesn't really care. His latest 'beauty blog posts' are the best proof. He could've talked about expensive clothes, hair styling, make-up and stuff. No. Yuzuru Hanyu talked about fluffy cats and sleeping.

He doesn't care, if people call his costumes girlish, his skating feminine, lacking passion or whatever. He stays true to his style. He doesn't care, if people chuckle about his Pooh plushy or Yuzu dancing and singing full force at the rinkside. He's always 100% Yuzu. Original, natural and charming.

Second key to success: He never misses an opportunity to make his fans happy and squeak. It can be a random stretching, Y-spiral, cute smile, funny comment. Pleasing your fans again and again is the easiest way to become very popular. Most top athletes try to act super cool and badass and untouchable, but that can turn into arrogance and isolation quickly.

Yuzu always finds a way to give his fans something back. Even if he can't win, he has to offer something that makes every journey and competition worth its price.

I think you can sum it up as "expert level of fanservice" :ummm:

19 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Yuzu always finds a way to give his fans something back. Even if he can't win, he has to offer something that makes every journey and competition worth its price.

Honestly, when I first became a fan I kind of lacked to courage to go to a competition in person. I regret that way of thinking now. I worried so much about the results (and my local hockey team always loses when I go, I felt like I'd curse the competition like a bad luck charm xD) That way of thinking has changed. It's just a joy to see him on the ice, no matter if its a program or training. Mistakes or not in the competition, I think his performances are amazing to see. It's totally worth it to go no matter what. It makes me think of that interview where he talks about giving his all every time because it might be the only chance someone in the audience has to go see him. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I know that the topic of looks and beauty has been flogged to death, but I had one other anecdote that I wanted to share with everyone.

A number of years ago, a woman I know was in Japan working as an English teacher in a privately run school. She is a third-generation Japanese-Canadian born and raised in British Columbia.

She was riding a bus in Kobe sitting across from two nerdy-looking white American guys and they were loudly talking about how easy it was to pick up good-looking Japanese girls and how much they seem to love white guys. They didn't realize that this lady understood English.

After listening for a while, she stood up and said, "The only reason they go out with you is because they can't tell the difference between a good-looking white guy and an ugly one. I am Canadian and I can tell you that you are two of the ugliest white guys I've seen!"

Then she turned to the rest of the people on the bus and explained in Japanese what the white guys were bragging about and what she said to them. Needless to say the two guys got off at the next stop with their tails between their legs

Maybe it's the reverse of @Old Cat Lady's experience and "All Caucasians look the same."

PS  For those who don't know, I am one of the very few guys in this forum and I had to laugh and applaud the action of this woman.

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

I know that the topic of looks and beauty has been flogged to death, but I had one other anecdote that I wanted to share with everyone.

A number of years ago, a woman I know was in Japan working as an English teacher in a privately run school. She is a third-generation Japanese-Canadian born and raised in British Columbia.

She was riding a bus in Kobe sitting across from two nerdy-looking white American guys and they were loudly talking about how easy it was to pick up good-looking Japanese girls and how much they seem to love white guys. They didn't realize that this lady understood English.

After listening for a while, she stood up and said, "The only reason they go out with you is because they can't tell the difference between a good-looking white guy and an ugly one. I am Canadian and I can tell you that you are two of the ugliest white guys I've seen!"

Then she turned to the rest of the people on the bus and explained in Japanese what the white guys were bragging about and what she said to them. Needless to say the two guys got off at the next stop with their tails between their legs

Maybe it's the reverse of @Old Cat Lady's experience and "All Caucasians look the same."

PS  For those who don't know, I am one of the very few guys in this forum and I had to laugh and applaud the action of this woman.

:rofl3:

2 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

JSF taking a stand for Yuzu? That's a new one. Let's see how much effort they will actually put into this. :acceptable:

Yeah!... It is all over the twitter that no one really thinks that the JSF would do more than lip service about it...