General Yuzuru Chat

Spoiler because it's more about Sendai

Spoiler

I went to Sendai a week ago during my trip to Japan (I intentionally planned to go to Sendai because, well, it's the hometown of you-know-who). What a lovely city! My suggestion for anyone who is going to Sendai is please head to Tourist information Centre and the bookstore in Sendai station, you'll see Yuzu all around you ^ ^. And if you take the bus loop around the city, the tour guide is kind enough to remind you that at stop 10, you'll see monument of Yuzu. I just fell in love with Sendai and I'll definitely go back. 

(Can somebody enlighten me how to share pictures from my computer to Planet Hanyu? - I am that hopeless :sadPooh:)

12 hours ago, SuperMin said:

Agreed, GOAT!! :img_21:

I'm a little bummed about what’s going on with the crazy PCS inflation for US skaters. It’s leaving an “icky” feeling I can’t shake.  It’s hard to see FS as a sport when there are no standards for judging. 

I think I’ll just wait for Yuzu to skate again in shows and then next season, otherwise I’m losing all interest in non-Yuzu competitions and FS in general. 

So, you're saying sport is defined by judges.... This doesn't make any sense to me. Sport is everything where people have to form their body, are physically active and in form. That for me is the definition of sport.  :shrug:

37 minutes ago, GoldMedalist said:

So, you're saying sport is defined by judges.... This doesn't make any sense to me. Sport is everything where people have to form their body, are physically active and in form. That for me is the definition of sport.  :shrug:

Sports includes competition where there are winners and losers.  If the standards by which you win or lose can be arbitrary then the  expectation that " if you work hard you could win" is dissolved.  Unlike soccer or any other team sport, you score a point and you get a point.  FS tried this, but with the subjectiveness of GOEs and PCS, it's turning out to be a popularity contest amongst the judges based on nationality and biases.  I know to some degree this always existed, but I actually watched Yuzu because I enjoyed his skating and the wins were a huge bonus and it fit with the rules.  But now......I don't know which rules are leading to those inflated GOEs and PCS scores so the competition aspect is dissolving.

1 hour ago, Kim Nhung said:

Hide contents

I went to Sendai a week ago during my trip to Japan (I intentionally planned to go to Sendai because, well, it's the hometown of you-know-who). What a lovely city! My suggestion for anyone who is going to Sendai is please head to Tourist information Centre and the bookstore in Sendai station, you'll see Yuzu all around you ^ ^. And if you take the bus loop around the city, the tour guide is kind enough to remind you that at stop 10, you'll see monument of Yuzu. I just fell in love with Sendai and I'll definitely go back. 

(Can somebody enlighten me how to share pictures from my computer to Planet Hanyu? - I am that hopeless :sadPooh:)

I would think a bus tour of Sendai would pass by IceRink Sendai.  It's undoubtedly a pilgrimage destination for Yuzu fans visiting Sendai (and I would say they comprise a hefty portion of those visiting the city).

Hide contents

Thank you for sharing your experience about my next traveling location! You can share pic here by using imgur.

22 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I would think a bus tour of Sendai would pass by IceRink Sendai.  It's undoubtedly a pilgrimage destination for Yuzu fans visiting Sendai (and I would say they comprise a hefty portion of those visiting the city).

Actually no, from tourist information centre, they can show you which bus to take to go to iceRink Sendai. For anyone who would like to go to Sendai as Yuzu's fan, I highly suggest you read posts of "Angelic Yuzuru", she did a great job describing the trip there: 

About the rink:

https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/176016378127/my-sendai-holiday-april-2018-part-2-ice-rink

All 4 parts:

https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/

28 minutes ago, ruruzest said:

Thank you for sharing your experience about my next traveling location! You can share pic here by using imgur.

Thank you:img_21:

Actually no, from tourist information centre, they can show you which bus to take to go to iceRink Sendai. For anyone who would like to go to Sendai as Yuzu's fan, I highly suggest you read posts of "Angelic Yuzuru", she did a great job describing the trip there: 

About the rink:

https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/176016378127/my-sendai-holiday-april-2018-part-2-ice-rink

All 4 parts:

https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/

Thank you:img_21:

For anyone who can’t make the Loople bus to get to Ice Rink Sendai (I believe the schedule is about once an hour or so and the rink closes around 6 PM to the public) it’s actually pretty easy to take the subway from Sendai Station and walking about 1 mile from Yaotome Station or Izumi-chuo Station. I walked from Yaotome and on the return I walked to Izumi-chuo using google maps to navigate and I made it :laughing:

I have to say I really miss Javi! And I miss his interactions with Yuzu. I get really sentimental when I think about the times when Yuzu and Javi were still training and competing together. :cri:

Thanks a lot to the translator! :10815002:

I copied the following from ElenaC's website: https://elecsworld.com/2019/04/11/javi/

Javi on Yuzu:

** This is from Bungei-shunju magagine. It is a status magazine with a long history.
since 1923.
Javi’s interview took place before the world, Javi had predicted Yuzu, Nathan and Shoma on the podium. This interview starts with his recent competition ( Euros 2018-2019).

One year after I settled in Toronto, Yuzu also came to the Cricket Club in the spring of 2012.
I was just about getting used to a new life. Brian asked me if it was OK for Yuzu to come, since we were competing at the same level. It was nice of him to ask, because that means a lot… a coach to ask from his student, to maintain trust. Brian knows about it.
I gave a 100% go because I knew it would be nice to practice with a rival in the same rink.
So Yuzu came, and as I thought, everyday practice got a sense of tense just like a real competition. We watched each other how the other was doing, we became conscious, got sense of rival. But it took us the right direction.

I made a good decision to practice with Yuzu.  Not only me but also Yuzu learned a lot from each other, more than we would’ve done alone.
If you practice with someone, you will gradually know the character, habits, what impressed me the most of Yuzu, was his ability to concentrate.
He practices to win, not to lose in the competition.  It may sound too normal, but he is ready to sacrifice everything to win.  “I will never, ever be a looser”… that kind of tenacious desire to win was what I felt from him even during the practice.
I think it’s awesome for an athlete.  Yuzu does his best even in his daily practice.  It was not just me but all of us in the same rink learned a lot from him.

We have spent so many years together, but our relation never has changed. After all, me and Yuzu have always been each other’s rival, we competed so hard.
It’s only natural that there has always been some sort of tension on the ice. But this January before I left Toronto for good, I had some time to talk with Yuzu, both of us relaxed.  He said he was “ Very grateful “ for we practiced together, and said he would be missing me… and of course, that was exactly how I felt for him.

(omission: Javi’s experience before Olympics)

I was really happy to win bronze in the Olympics, but of course, I would have been happier with medal of different color.

(omission)

Yuzu gave a big surprise, giving such a performance and he won gold… but he was (is) an athlete who makes miracles, you know (lol).
He has such an incredible strong mentality… that is why he has become figure skating legend.

If I were in his shoes, I might have felt fear before the performance, for sure. Because of injury, there was not enough time to practice and came to the competition of one’s life.

(Omission)

And Yuzu had another pressure, to make a back-to-back win as a gold medalist from last Olympics. That was another battle for him. Enormous pressure it must have been.
I have never asked him, but I am sure he must have felt some fear in his heart.

But, at the same time, he had to stay away from practice, that is what he really loves from his heart… that must have been so hard for him.  In the Olympics, on the ice, he must have felt so happy… a sense of liberation… ‘cause at least he could skate.
That is why he could give that performance, I believe.

I don’t know for how long more he is going to compete, I have no idea.  But I have got a feeling… maybe, he would continue to compete as long as he could move his body.
Figure skating is life itself to him. He lives for skating.

(Omission/ Javi’s view on figure skating in Spain, his future career, and so on)

Today i saw a fragment of heroes and future 2018 in Nagano clip.. started having the urge to watch the full or atleast the ending part... I think yuzuru skated last and then there was a group no. But couldn't find it anywhere. I seriously hate YouTube sometimes. Found 1 video in Google drive but it was also cutoff after yuzuru's skate. What you guys do when you are in such a situation. Also if someone could suggest a source, it would be too helpful...

24 minutes ago, Swarna said:

Today i saw a fragment of heroes and future 2018 in Nagano clip.. started having the urge to watch the full or atleast the ending part... I think yuzuru skated last and then there was a group no. But couldn't find it anywhere. I seriously hate YouTube sometimes. Found 1 video in Google drive but it was also cutoff after yuzuru's skate. What you guys do when you are in such a situation. Also if someone could suggest a source, it would be too helpful...

https://planethanyu.com/topic/643-videoice-shows-2018-consolidated-media-post/?do=findComment&comment=220207

Edit sorry it's the second link