General Yuzuru Chat

Just now, WinForPooh said:

Isn't the Joe Inman quote about Plushenko? The Plushenko-Lysacek saga? I refuse to listen to TSL because they're just straight up alternative fact spouts so going off only the tweet, isn't that what it's about? Not Yuzu?

Yes, the article is about the old "scandal". My understanding from the Twitter comments (because I also refuse to listen to that TSL episode) is that Inman (who was the guest of the episode) said that Yuzu uses "bland music" by "Western standards", Seimei included. And so Western audiences would find his skates boring and not understand why he got high scores. Or something like that. And so Iron Klaus drew a parallel from when Inman lobbied against Plushenko back then. Basically, arguing that the guy is known for strong biases and has no shame whatsoever lobbying against certain skaters, like Yuzu now. 

3 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Yes, the article is about the old "scandal". My understanding from the Twitter comments (because I also refuse to listen to that TSL episode) is that Inman (who was the guest of the episode) said that Yuzu uses "bland music" by "Western standards", Seimei included. And so Western audiences would find his skates boring and not understand why he got high scores. Or something like that. And so Iron Klaus drew a parallel from when Inman lobbied against Plushenko back then. Basically, arguing that the guy is known for strong biases and has no shame whatsoever lobbying against certain skaters, like Yuzu now. 

Ah, I see.

That's an odd way he has of saying that Western standards are very narrow and need a whole rehaul. I suppose Yuzu should skate to Taylor Swift to appeal to Joe Inman, then.

That's also a pretty weird way of just straight up admitting that Yuzuru is so damn good that they have to fall back on racial and cultural biases to criticise him (as if that reflects more on Yuzuru than on them)!

1 minute ago, Veveco said:

I can't imagine how anyone could possibly consider Taiko drums and a flute "bland by Western standards". Taiko is the very antithesis of bland - it's supposed to be waking a god for crying out loud! Wow. Glad I missed that interview.

1 minute ago, Veveco said:

Hey, don't ask me either. I'm about as Western as possible and I was enthralled by Olympic Seimei :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp:

That's true, this chap is damning a lot of people by assuming he is the standard-bearer for Western tastes, which he obviously is not, he's only the standard-bearer for the US figure skating machine's sense of superiority. lol Somebody show him the Planet Hanyu on Earth map. 

7 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Ah, I see.

That's an odd way he has of saying that Western standards are very narrow and need a whole rehaul. I suppose Yuzu should skate to Taylor Swift to appeal to Joe Inman, then.

That's also a pretty weird way of just straight up admitting that Yuzuru is so damn good that they have to fall back on racial and cultural biases to criticise him (as if that reflects more on Yuzuru than on them)!

If LGC didn't do it for him, nothing would. Unless he thinks Yuzu should skate to Nickelback? (Note to Yuzu if you're lurking: please, please, please don't. If you must skate to Canadian rock, The Tragically Hip are your band, nothing else.)

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

If LGC didn't do it for him, nothing would. Unless he thinks Yuzu should skate to Nickelback? (Note to Yuzu if you're lurking: please, please, please don't. If you must skate to Canadian rock, The Tragically Hip are your band, nothing else.)

Anyway, he is quite wrong because after Worlds, I think the vast majority of people (at least the ones who don't have US-is-best tattooed on their brains) couldn't understand why Yuzu didn't win that free skate. :lol: 

14 minutes ago, Veveco said:

I'm very curious to this man's definition of "bland music by Western standards." Does he want a fanfare? An ice musical perhaps---where Yuzu would sing while he skates?

*eye twitch*  

My first thought on that tweet was that maybe it was about highlighting Inman's hypocrisy - back in the day he was all about hyping the American Lysacek over Plushenko with the argument that Evan did more complete programs with transitions, artistry, etc and wasn't all about quads, and now he's hyping the American Chen over Yuzu even though Yuzu is the one doing complete programs while Nathan is transition-free, all about quads, etc. Basically, whatever the top American skater is doing at the time is what they'll promote as the best thing ever. And not to get too far off topic, but I've always found it interesting how Evan was SO hyped at the time in the US and the media acted like his victory over Plushenko was the most amazing event in Olympic history, and now he's hardly ever mentioned in American skating coverage or cited by fans as someone who was a favorite or who had really memorable programs. And when he is mentioned, it's usually in the context of 'that guy who wore the sparkly snake costume'. 

Just now, AkaneYamashina said:

@WinForPooh Uhh, I'm sorry. By hollow you mean? 

Sorry, my mistake. It's an anime thing, from Bleach. I got a glimpse of your dp when it popped up on a notification and in my trash mind it looked like a reference from the anime. Then you posted and I saw what it actually is and it's obviously POTO lol