General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Idk, the video has a skip right in the middle between the 4T and the 3A, and it is April Fool's. I call shenanigans. 

I keep watching it over and over and I don't see the skip. But I do question Aliev's ability to do it.  He's not the greatest jumper in the world.  

3 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Why do I get this ominous feeling that when he says "investing in the future" he means pounding a bunch of quads to stay ahead of the pack rather than taking care of his health?

I wonder what the likelihood of Yuzu seeing your comments on this blog are.  He can't possibly go through every message when they mostly say the same things can he?  Ever since I've seen how many points he's giving up with this year's jump layout I've been wanting to reach someone on his team even though I'm sure they get plenty of armchair advice from other crazy fanyus

45 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I keep watching it over and over and I don't see the skip. But I do question Aliev's ability to do it.  He's not the greatest jumper in the world.  

Why do I get this ominous feeling that when he says "investing in the future" he means pounding a bunch of quads to stay ahead of the pack rather than taking care of his health?

I wonder what the likelihood of Yuzu seeing your comments on this blog are.  He can't possibly go through every message when they mostly say the same things can he?  Ever since I've seen how many points he's giving up with this year's jump layout I've been wanting to reach someone on his team even though I'm sure they get plenty of armchair advice from other crazy fanyus

I don't actually think he gave up that many points with the jump layout--the only obvious thing to me is to do 4T3T and 3F3A instead of 4T3A and 3F3T in order to reduce the sequence deduction and maximize available GOE, though I don't know if it would be harder to jump 3A out of 3F than 4T. It's more that the difficulty versus point value ratio is off--I don't think his layout was any less difficult than Nathan's since Nate had the same number of quads but one less 3A, yet the dumb CoP undervalues 4Lo and 3A sequences so Yuzu's BV was below Nate's. (That's not even counting transitions.)

Okay, I gotta ask. In the new Yuzu Days when Yuzu said he went down a waterfall at an amusement park when he was 2 or 3 years old, he meant on an amusement park ride, right (not that he "fell over")?

I'm trying to think what ride would allow small 2-3 year olds to go down a major waterfall drop, usually those have height restrictions and I can't imagine a tiny 2-3 year old like Yuzu being tall enough! My initial thought was maybe he got onto Splash Mountain in Tokyo Disneyland.

53 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:
2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Idk, the video has a skip right in the middle between the 4T and the 3A, and it is April Fool's. I call shenanigans. 

I keep watching it over and over and I don't see the skip. But I do question Aliev's ability to do it.  He's not the greatest jumper in the world

When I play it on my phone there's a noticeable break between 4T and 3A, and someone's head momentarily blips into the shot right where Dima would be setting up the 3A, blocking the view of him, and then back out again.

Edited to add: 

Okay, you're right. I clicked through to the Instagram and the video played properly for me... it does look real after all.

1 minute ago, kiches said:

Okay, I gotta ask. In the new Yuzu Days when Yuzu said he went down a waterfall at an amusement park when he was 2 or 3 years old, he meant on an amusement park ride, right (not that he "fell over")?

I'm trying to think what ride would allow small 2-3 year olds to go down a major waterfall drop, usually those have height restrictions and I can't imagine a tiny 2-3 year old like Yuzu being tall enough! My initial thought was maybe he got onto Splash Mountain in Tokyo Disneyland.

I'm envisioning something more like a garden water feature or landscaping feature that isn't very big, but if a toddler fell over it, it would scare them terribly. 

On 3/31/2019 at 2:40 PM, makebelieveup said:
  Hide contents

I dont agree with this much because here's why. I dont think majority, if anyone, here is dismissing nathan's skating completely. if anything, a lot of us recognize his improvement, albeit slow as they are, over the seasons and applaud him for his consistency. what yuzu sees in him/sees him as does not equate to what everyone else should see in him. i love yuzu but i dont have to always think like him or agree with him. i dont agree that nathan is a strong opponent to him at any level, realistically. at least not yet. what i think has happened with yuzu's words from his interview is more so that he is being subject to the system and has to embrace it, normalize it. but whatever he honestly thinks about nathan's skating is up to him and I will separate my opinion from that. anyway, back to my point. i think nathan has flourished as a skater and really improved at competing under pressure. he has been more consistent in his jumps because he isnt doing 5 or 6 jumps like what he did in the past and the quality of his landings have improved through that. But what many of the complaints i have seen are coming the way the judges are scoring him. I might be okay with him getting up to +3 GOEs for his jumps. He can still get a comfortably high technical scores and podium at this age. i wouldnt give anything higher than a +1 for his other elements like his spins or stsq, though. So rather seeing him getting 120-130 technical scores, I would give him around 100-110 TES. Then on the PCS, there is really not a lot of TR, IN, COM, SS going on in his programs. You really cant give him any more than 8.5s for any of these areas. PE is a bit more subjective so I think I will give him higher for his sp. So with his total score I would say around 110+85 = 195 can be a very great fs score for him at his age. Yuzu didnt even manage to get this high until he was around 20. But the problem here is, he isnt just getting yuzu's scores at Yuzu's best, he is on his way to top them. Yuzu was not at his top game artistically at 19 but PW is to me still way better than any of nathan's skates. Look at Yuzu's rj at 17, yes he wasnt at this level of skating skills but his program is super complete. If Yuzu didnt have the same technical content Nathan has at this point, Nathan def doesnt have the same Yuzu's musicality, program completeness and commitment, and transition Yuzu did at 19. if nathan had gotten the same scores yuzu did in 2013/2014 because of the high technical score, i dont think this has been an issue. except, he is getting the same technical scores AND program component scores as the current yuzuru hanyu.

my last post about nathan in yuzu's thread for now. sorry!

Excremental judging.

4 hours ago, freyaminnie said:

My take on Origin was that the program was create based on his mind set to 'Enjoy skating what he want and not worry about the score or result', hence why it was so packed with transitions and crazy steps and jumps that are everywhere. I enjoy Origin he perform at Media day and ACI the most because that was where the program reflect its real purpose. But when he get fired up after ACI and has to alter his program to be more point-oriented it become something he has to compromise, either sacrificing the jumps quality or forsake some transitions, which he kinda didn't want to but happen anyway. 

I think that the true Origin is not program that is best for the current judging system. And if he's still aiming for the Top he would need new program which is more point-oriented just like what he has done for the last 4 years.

I really wish he could go back to the mind set that he didn't need to prove anything to anybody and just skate whatever the hell he want at the start of this season. so that we can see a lot more variety of program that did not design to focus on points. (and of course a lot more happy not the kuyashii Yuzu) 

That said, he still is his own person and he will decide what is best for him moving forward and all we can do is wait and see and keep supporting him! and hopefully keep the remaining of our hair

That's pretty much how I feel, too. I think Otonal was more suited to adaptation for CoP, even if ACI Otonal was better choreographically and conceptually. That's also because that music is a bit... Well, I think it's Yuzuru's skating and presence that gives that SP its qualities, the music itself feels kind of bland to me. The Origin music has a lot of character, and add Yuzu's fire to it and that programme, as conceptualised, would have been incredible. Like, create a universe kind of energy. But that was compromised because he wanted to win again. :lol: I think perhaps when Yuzu is finally at a point where he really, completely feels like he did before ACI - when he's finally ready to retire and go out on his own terms - maybe that would be the time to bring Origin back, without any compromises. 

On 3/31/2019 at 7:28 AM, 4Nessie said:

It's so refreshing watching Yuzu, who can create a fierce warrior, fragile swan princess AND absolutely non-gender sakura being and looks so cool being all of those.

Yes, Yuzuru is totally comfortable with who he is and all of his many different selves and confident enough that he does not worry about labels.

57 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I don't actually think he gave up that many points with the jump layout--the only obvious thing to me is to do 4T3T and 3F3A instead of 4T3A and 3F3T in order to reduce the sequence deduction and maximize available GOE, though I don't know if it would be harder to jump 3A out of 3F than 4T. It's more that the difficulty versus point value ratio is off--I don't think his layout was any less difficult than Nathan's since Nate had the same number of quads but one less 3A, yet the dumb CoP undervalues 4Lo and 3A sequences so Yuzu's BV was below Nate's. (That's not even counting transitions.)

But IJS is a system of incremental advantages.  I audibly gasped when I saw his mistake on the step sequence because I knew that for him to have any chance, he needed that point he lost. He needs to scrape every point, especially when competing against someone with higher base value.  Yes, a clean Yuzu can still win, but that's a big ask in this age of multiple quads.  I don't dispute that there are valuation and judging issues, but unfortunately this is the system and people he has to work with right now so all you can do is figure out how to work within it.  When's he's fighting an uphill battle, he can't just throw away 2 points for flair