General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, Flutterby said:

I loved Javi's smoothness or finesse if you will. Lovely edge quality. TCC doing right by their skaters.

And can I get some Daisuke drama up in here. Cue the clip where baby Yuzu is watching Dai from the audience and starts giggling like a scandalized little school girl.

Dai is actually one of a very few skaters that can bring the drama to a program and make it work. And it's because he shares one important quality with Yuzu - he's a dancer and a performer, not just an athlete. It makes for some great skates.

7 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

As you said, Raf may have the facilities but he doesn't have Brian and Tracy's approach (or their results), and he clearly hasn't created the same welcoming, diverse, respectful community of skaters that exists at TCC. Of course this is only my speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it really annoys someone like Scott that the top coaching facility in skating right now welcomes skaters from all over the world and produces results for so many different countries, while the US has nothing on that level producing results for American skaters. Raf's school clearly has issues, as does Tom Z's, all the top ice dance teams have left for Montreal, and so on. That's no excuse to take it out on someone like Yuzu, but that's Scott Hamilton for you. 

I dunno. Raf is gruff and gives a bad impression in interviews, but from what I've read that he's said, his coaching technique/ philosophy isn't all that bad. But he seems more like a swimming coach than a skating coach to me. I think you'd have to be a pretty mentally tough individual to thrive under a coach like Raf. 

9 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Puts a whole new spin on the nobility, doesn't it? 

yes those weren't the cleanest times 

As for masculine skaters and Yuzu i don't know maybe it's because I've been in to ballet all my life so my standard for what's  is mainly and what is not are less defined but i never seen Yuzu aa nothing but a boy,young and childlike maybe but surely a boy.

Of course then like someone said before it's the old way ,if you think 'pink' is for girls and 'blue' is for boys then you are going to have lots of problems and that's very sad.

@BWOZWaltz Pattinaggio liscio Matteo??oh my god LOL

Jokes apart I have huge hopes for him ....In general no matter if they are women or men i like skaters that do things in a certain way,I don't know how to explain it in english properly but I like to feel some sort of intent in what they do...an idea, a story ,a goal to achive or a standard to challenge and possibly change for the better.

I had to google Scott Hamilton and he seems pretty fond of those blue onesie:10814716:

6 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

LoL the medal sniffing thank you. Yuzu needs to develop a perfume Eau de la Médaille d'or so he can smell them all the time. Much less conspicuous.:winky:

He reminds me of an old ad for Cadbury Gold chocolate bars. The main character is millionaire who waltzes around his gold mansion saying "Gold! I love gold! I love the way gold looks! I love the way gold feels! And I especially love...the way Gold tastes!!!" 

I can't see Yuzu sniffing a medal without that ad in my head. :LOL:

Just now, mercedes said:

then like someone said before it's the old way ,if you think 'pink' is for girls and 'blue' is for boys then you are going to have lots of problems and that's very sad.

@BWOZWaltz

Oddly the blue-pink thing is a modern invention. Ancient Romans thought the opposite way. Red was seen as a masculine color associated with blood and warfare. Pink being a lighter red color then went to young boys. Whereas blue was seen as feminine.

1 minute ago, Flutterby said:

Oddly the blue-pink thing is a modern invention. Ancient Romans thought the opposite way. Red was seen as a masculine color associated with blood and warfare. Pink being a lighter red color then went to young boys. Whereas blue was seen as feminine.

oh yes like purple is bad luck for Theater people or white for brides and black for death...social conventions unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I dunno. Raf is gruff and gives a bad impression in interviews, but from what I've read that he's said, his coaching technique/ philosophy isn't all that bad. But he seems more like a swimming coach than a skating coach to me. I think you'd have to be a pretty mentally tough individual to thrive under a coach like Raf. 

Eh, I mean Raf is clearly a good coach in many respects, but there have been issues with him making insensitive comments about skaters' weights in the past, and now there are questions about the culture of his rink because of his handling of the Eunsoo Lim/Mariah Bell issue. So it's not just him being a grump, there's things he could probably stand to improve on, to say the least. 

I wonder what kind of coach Yuzu would be. Probably the strict and difficult to please kind, but in a non-grumpy way :xD:

29 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Puts a whole new spin on the nobility, doesn't it? 

Perhaps that’s what Mr Hamilton needs - a new fashion for hyper masculine high heels- trouble is I think you have to be an absolute monarch to get people to prop you up to that extent.  He always comes across as a fussy opinionated little dinosaur to me - the kind that really worries about his own image and is really offensive as people of that generation can often be if they never engage with feminist women, gay people, mildly left wing opinions etc etc.  There are loads of blokes like that in my extended family- old codgers who think De Valera had the right idea and on this side of the Irish Sea adherents of Mrs T.:sigh:

This discussion of femininity/masculinity in regards to Yuzuru's skating reminded me of this episode about costumes from a FS podcast.  I think they were spot on in this issue. They start talking about Yuzuru specifically at 37:00,  but they actually mention him more times during the episode. I think all of it it worth listening. There's english transcription if you click on the subtitles button. 

Sorry it was already shared but the debate made me remember this.  

6 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Perhaps that’s what Mr Hamilton needs - a new fashion for hyper masculine high heels- trouble is I think you have to be an absolute monarch to get people to prop you up to that extent.  He always comes across as a fussy opinionated little dinosaur to me - the kind that really worries about his own image and is really offensive as people of that generation can often be if they never engage with feminist women, gay people, mildly left wing opinions etc etc.  There are loads of blokes like that in my extended family- old codgers who think De Valera had the right idea and on this side of the Irish Sea adherents of Mrs T.:sigh:

Oh I know the type! Have a few in my family too. 

Although I think @Flutterby hit the nail on the head when they said he seemed deeply insecure about certain things.