General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Flutterby said:

This is certainly true. For instance, in Europe in the 1600s, men as well as women, used to wear high heels because to display your shapely calf muscles was seen as the height of masculinity.

Also, sanitation wasn't the same then as it is now. High heels were a practical way to keep your hems out of the questionable muck in the streets of those times. 

1 hour ago, yude said:

Skaters are human, the ice is slippery, and no one knows how the judges will work...

Very true. You can plan the sickest, most insane layout ever on paper but you have to actually skate it at the competition for it to count and who knows what will happen on the night.

9 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Oh, there were moments where Adam's Rippon body language was very telling - although I think it was deliberate. My mother took a look at his opening FS pose and asked, "Is he gay?" Other than that, I agree that Adam's skating style was rather on the athletic side, although I wouldn't call it macho. I must say that I found Adam's mix of athletic and some little flourishes rather appealing to watch. The thing is, those traits can co-exist too and it makes skaters more unique.

Out of curiosity, who are the current skaters whose style you enjoy the most, in general? Top 5?

Mine:

1. Yuzu - duh, lol.

2. Junhwan - possibly because he reminds me of Yuzu a tiny bit.

3. Kevin Aymoz

4. Daniel Samohin - I just enjoy his over-dramatic ass.

5. ... Aliev/Kolyada

On that list, I would only consider Samohin to veer towards stereotypically masculine, but it's tempered by his over-the-top drama and costumes. 

And who, in your opinion represents the typically masculine style? I would say Majorov and Bychenko, but I wonder if I just don't subconsciously equate "stocky and without finesse whatsoever" with "stereotypically masculine". 

Actually, now that I am thinking about it.... I love Kevin Aymoz. It is my newfound FS love. His programs are so full of surprises... :7938863:

However, one thing - I know, it sounds strange, but it is so true for me - Yuzu actually seems to me a lot more masculine doing HYK, than Kevin doing his "Horns" short :idk:

Edit:

Oh, and my Top 5:

1. Yeah, obvoiusly Yuzu

2. Jason Brown

3. Kevin Aymoz

4. Adam Siao Him Fa

5. Matteoooo...

6 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Out of curiosity, who are the current skaters whose style you enjoy the most, in general? Top 5?

Mine:

1. Yuzu - duh, lol.

2. Junhwan - possibly because he reminds me of Yuzu a tiny bit.

3. Kevin Aymoz

4. Daniel Samohin - I just enjoy his over-dramatic ass.

5. ... Aliev/Kolyada

On that list, I would only consider Samohin to veer towards stereotypically masculine, but it's tempered by his over-the-top drama and costumes. 

And who, in your opinion represents the typically masculine style? I would say Kovtun, Majorov and Bychenko, but I wonder if I just don't subconsciously equate "stocky and without finesse whatsoever" with "stereotypically masculine". From past skaters, who did posess finesse, maybe Patrick and Javi? 

Top 5

Yuzuru,

Kolyada

Aymoz

Aliev

Rizzo

1 hour ago, ralucutzagy said:

Omg .. look at me with teary eyes again after watching this performance 100 times before! :sadPooh: 

I can never watch H&L only once, always replay this replay that and replay everything. It truly is something I can watch everyday and still be 100% touched like I’ve only seen it the first time. H&L is perfection. H&L is Yuzuru fight me.

5 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

Actually, now that I am thinking about it.... I love Kevin Aymoz. It is my newfound FS love. His programs are so full of surprises... :7938863:

However, one thing - I know, it sounds strange, but it is so true for me - Yuzu actually seems to me a lot more masculine doing HYK, than Kevin doing his "Horns" short :idk:

Ah, I'm afraid I'll never be able to see HyK as remotely masculine, mostly because of some spins and some steps - they're just too "spring" and "joy" and "innocence" for me to get any "masculine" from it.:68468287:

1 minute ago, Moria Polonius said:

Ah, I'm afraid I'll never be able to see HyK as remotely masculine, mostly because of some spins and some steps - they're just too "spring" and "joy" and "innocence" for me to get any "masculine" from it.:68468287:

Okay, that's true. But it has some moments... like kissing ice-chan in warrior mode...

7 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

I think it really depends on what your own movement vocabulary is. HYK might not seem 'masculine', but nothing about it reads as 'girly' to me. Innocence and joy are not limited to femininity. 

Anyone who's watched a two year old boy run around outdoors on a puddle-jumping day will know exactly what I mean. Yuzu retains that quality of accepting wonder in his performances. 

Hmmm, my top 5...

1. I'm a Fanyu so ... lol :8232307: :snpeace:

2. Shoma - unpopular choice but, well, I like him, so ... 

3. Junnie  :love:

4. Boyang (4lz to die for ... at least it was, I hope to see it back)

5. Matteo Rizzo is growing on me, I really like his flow in the ice ... :tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

A special mention for Jason Brown - a sunshine! :8232307:

43 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

I like that he is always himself, adapting to the music, embodying the spirtit of the program but always doing things in his own distinctive style.

Some people just don't like that very distinctive style, and especially dislike and are uncomfortable with it when he shows up as Sakura fairy of Swan and looking ethereal out there on the ice.

On the contrary, I absolutely fell in love with that and tbh I still have to find someone else who can make everything look so natural and effortless. Have I seen other refined skaters? Yes. Awesome performers? Yes. Balletic skaters? yes. Skaters that portray music beautifully and with emotion, till the tip of their fingers? Yes. But I still have to see someone else who is able to drop to the ice like in the HYK gif in my signature and make it look so un-choreographed and spontaneous and beautiful. I am in love with the move itself, and gender really has 0 relevance for me when I watch something like that. I mean, does beauty need to have one gender? or a gender at all?

Thank you! That's what I tried to put into words yesterday. Yuzu's skating doesn't look rehearsed or studied step by step. It's more like a mood and very natural. You can experience this best in his practice sessions. His spontaneous stroking, gliding and jumping to others' music looks better than most competitive skates. That's why he has full house and goosebump atmosphere during practice.

Even if he portraits someone specific like Seimei or skates a tribute to his idol, he's not a copycat. Yuzu is always Yuzu on and off the ice and that's why I love him so much.