General Yuzuru Chat

10 minutes ago, Lambari said:

Does anyone know if there is an english translation for the chinese broadcast of Origin? It seems that it was the same person that made that poetic comment and a warrior and a storm for his Olympic win.  And she seems pretty excited in this.  

Here's the full program: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av47127320

lol the person recording this was crying the whole time

also i could try to translate this but it might take a while haha

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You know, the quickest way to get JSF's attention would be for fans to stop buying tickets to any events they organize. I'm pretty sure it would only take one boycott of, say, NHK Cup, and they'd change their tune on fans and Pooh's.

I hate to say this, but in east asia, haha....no it won't. There are plenty of times in the past where fans wondered if JSF wanted to ditch Yuzu and if it's better for him to fly a different flag. yes they've supported him before, but quite a bit is also out of self interest (as his commercial deals etc have a portion of profits go to JSF).  Some of the arguments and reasons why fans are pissed off in the first place, is an argument about "fairness" to other skaters if a star is too popular (which wasn't used on Mao or Daisuke btw, at least I don't recall it).

As a matter of fact who has a very good edge on the F (ex. Shoma) has a bad edge on the Lz and vice versa (ex. Yuzu), I bet that when and if Yuzu will jump it in a competition, with this trend in judgment, it would get a ! every time:notamused:.....but hey if he wants to try it we'll see, he knows better. I just hope he stays healthy!!!!

12 minutes ago, Lambari said:

Does anyone know if there is an english translation for the chinese broadcast of Origin? It seems that it was the same person that made that poetic comment and a warrior and a storm for his Olympic win.  And she seems pretty excited in this.  

I'm interested in this too:knc_yuzu1:

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

And I think it was in the same interview, though I'm not sure if that was translated, where he said something like, going into Worlds, there was a general expectation that because he had won in Pyeongchang under similar circumstances, he would do it again. And that when this huge bubble of expectation burst, there was of course disappointment, but also freedom. He was free of that expectation. Can you even imagine the pressure of that? To be injured, on painkillers and still have everyone expect you to win. In a way, this might actually have been the best possible result for him, because in some ways, he seems reborn.

I actually thought Nathan was more likely to win, and I have forum posts somewhere or other to prove it *pokes fingers together sheepishly* At the end of the day, being out for the better part of two seasons and skating while injured is a huge disadvantage no matter how good you are. It’s obvious now that Yuzu was quite the underdog going into Worlds, and he will probably be the underdog going into next season because he has to lose more training time to ankle recovery, unless Nathan himself (god forbid—how depressing would it be if all the top men had injury problems) acquires a similar level of debilitating injury. (As an aside, that’s why Yuzu should keep his current programs, strategically speaking—it’s one less thing to worry about and one less thing to learn. He can always simplify the transitions if they’re introducing a level of unnecessary risk, not that it’s in his character to do so.) None of that is a slight to his GOAT status, only an acknowledgment of the major setbacks he’s experienced, and that he is, after all, human. He pulled off a miracle at Olys, but it’s a bit much to expect him to pull off miracles all of the time. 

Though his Worlds FS was still pretty miraculous and awe-inspiring, even if he didn’t win. I can’t even force myself to go to bed at the correct time, yet somehow he willed himself into skating almost clean. :bow:

Anyway, I’m rambling. My main points are: 1. Yuzu is currently the underdog vis a vis Nathan because of the ankle injury 2. Nothing about the Worlds result makes Yuzu less impressive, in fact quite the opposite. 3. I hope he doesn’t think we expect him to win all the time, because that would be an absurd expectation on our part 4. Please get better Yuzu 5. Please keep competing because you want to compete, not because you feel like you are obligated to by fans (I do think Yuzu genuinely wants to keep competing and he really is fired up by this rivalry with Nathan, given his personality...buuuut he also seems to feel a little too much of an obligation to fans sometimes. Put yourself first, please.)

Still rambling. Should sleep now. :13877886:

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

because in some ways, he seems reborn.

Isn't it the whole phoenix thing? I assumed i'd be a perfect end for Origin, a comeback from injury and win program but who would have though it'd be a come and destroy everyone after loosing world program :68468287:

1 hour ago, Ania said:

Or hire yags :happy:

:LOL: He'd gladly accept that

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

But Yuzu likes seeing the Poohs.

If the boy wants his pooh the boy will get his pooh:hachimaki:

1 hour ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Oh come on, Yuzu's flip side has been consistently inside for some time now :xD:, deep flip edge is even rarer than deep Lutz edge (though it can be argued that both are just as rare nowadays :( ). 

Well, I'll just see how it goes then...

It seems like doing a correct flip edge is easier with prerotation but isn't a flat edge better than prerotation? A hypothetical perfectionist view not in judges' eyes ofcourse:giggle:

8 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I...just...what? Maybe they should have had more than like, 1/3 of the flower girls that CoR had then? It's not that hard? Of all the injustices in the figure skating world this is what JSF addresses? The only thing they address? I mean they banned Poohs and they banned banners and who is the one that affects the most? And he was so relieved Nathan skated well? Ok then.

the funny thing is that their worry has no bearing in reality. Plenty of people have skated well after pooh rain, and in at least 3 instances Yuzuru's direct competitors won the gold.(*)

Should we then say skating after pooh rain actually makes skaters skate better? LOL

(*)

Spoiler

Nathan skated after Yuzu multiple times and 3 of those he won. Michal skated well enough to medal at Helsinki GP. In both 4CC17 and WC17 SP, Shoma skated after Yuzu and went over 100 points. Javier won his first WC skating his free after what was arguably the biggest Pooh rain ever...

oc it doesn't really mean that skaters skate better because of the plushies. But it means that claiming that sweeepers and plushies deteriorate the condition of the ice or badly affect the skater's mentality isn't true.

And especially about mentality, there are so many things factoring in, it would be quite hard to blame the plushies more than, say, hearing the cheers of the audience, the shutters of photographers or hearing the scores...

After years and years and years of gifts thrown and picked up without anyone complaining, it would be sad if this resulted in further policing to prevent fans from throwing gifts. Those gifts are a way for fans to show support in a tangible way immediately after a skate. It isn't the same thing to collect gift in the boxes IMO. Skaters collecting their own gifts and holding them in the K&C is the sweeetest thing, and they all look so happy :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg: I mean, have you seen Marin collecting her Pikachu plushies or JunHwan brightening when he saw a Soohorang plushie?:tumblr_inline_np9uqfzDd81qid2nw_75sq:

6 hours ago, Katt said:

I think the timing is terrible, accident or not. He posted the vid on 23rd, the anti replied him on 25th (after Raf's Rus article out ) and he answered it today. I found its weird that JSF VP choose to answer a random person on twitter and the fact that's come from anti make everything worse. 

yes, the timing was off...maybe I can give the benefit of the doubt, but it's at the very least hypocrite to behave in breach of the ruels posting something he shouldn't even have filmed tbw, and then taking so much care to reply to that comment that concerned something that wasn't even in breach of the rules (and that no country has ever had issues with...). I won't have against the man that he was replying to an anti, it's possible that he doesn't know (I hope), but after Raf's words, it felt as if, as soon as US coach speaks, JSF bends backwards:judgmental:

8 hours ago, wildstrawberry said:

I only hope he won't be feeling hurt when he finds out about this with how much sweat,pain and blood it cost him to get this medal

I'm mostly angry tht he might end feeling bad for fans showing their support. :tumblr_inline_mzx8vsq1d71r8msi5:

6 hours ago, shanshani said:

Maybe he thinks he can get 4F up to competition-ready consistency before he can get 4A up to it? Even if it winds up being 4F!, that’s only a minor GOE deduction.

true, especially if, for once, he could get the benefit "top skaters don't have edge issues":P But also, after this

I'm actually not as worried? It looks like he could get a proper not-cleary-inside-edge-4F. The main issue is IMO the ankle, and also all the risk linked with learning a completely new jump. Tho 4 Lz would also be basically a new jump (assuming he hasn't played around with it in the off season too).

I'm starting to think half of the reason of him shuffling 3F to seconf half and using it to attach combo has been to improve his confidence and increase the speed into the jump... I know it was likely just becuase he wnated to backload all combo and another quad combo right after the seq would have been too insane risky even for him (and maybe he couldn't get enough speed out of 3Lo to swap 3F and 3F), but...at this point, I wouldn't rule it out that everything's according to his plan:gla:

6 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Wait why not 4A before 4F... :xD:

Yeah that's weird tbh..I thought 4A could be closer, he's at least trained it for a few months, but maybe he wants to make sure his muscles get stroger doing the other jumps before going back to 4A and address that "wall" he was talking about?

And also, as he said, toe jumps are less dependent on ice condition, so maybe there's that too...

The mere idea that we can really see 4Lz back is already making me giddy:tumblr_inline_mzx8zzarLt1r8msi5:I wonder if re-learning the jump could also mean we could have a slightly different jump...(maybe less delay? would he even be capable of that?)

But for now I just pray that he can have healthy off season and a whole healthy season, so he'll be able to follow his plans...

@Marte I believe there are some very rare skaters who have more than a shallow inside edge but still have correct Lz too. Michal Brezina, and I believe Carolina Kostner too (I'm guessing that her long glide into the jump that many complained about is part of the reason she manages to have a nice Lz).  But, as you said, usually when skaters have deep inside flip their Lz isn't good, and when they have deep Lz edge their F is only slight inside (and old ISU vids used those as example of good flip, so one would think they believe it's fine...but panels have been a bit puzzling this season:gaah:). then there are skaters who have neither good F nor good Lz:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:and afaik panels choose to call only one type of jump and give the other type a pass...which, if you think about that, isn't quite right towards the skaters who have at least one correct edge...

4 hours ago, Ania said:

new subbed video

nothing we haven't seen before? but it's nice to watch 

nevermind the interview, that aerial shot:10742290: it doesn't matter how many times I see it, it's gorgeous every single time:tumblr_inline_n0o1ffBcXo1qid2nw:

1 hour ago, Lambari said:

My chinese literature / chinese history /translation are not too good... Think the key sentence is extracted from a Chinese poem, about a General fighting hard to break /win a country on the Silk Road to protect his own country, with strong will and determination not to go home until victory.  Yes she was the same person, and was referring this particularly to the Overlord’s eyes and his fierce look right after the ending pose!!!  

I want to see its full chinese translation, (and the italian comments, havent seen yet) too!

5 hours ago, airi said:

As for the scoring, I believe going over whether he would have won or not is pointless. The past is in the past and we can't change it. Yuzu doesn't want to squeak past an overscored Nathan by a point or two with his current technical content. He wants to up his technical content so that he will be unbeatable. No matter what Nathan or the judges or anyone else does. He wants to win decisively when EVERYONE is squeaky clean. That's what he's always wanted. He reached that level for a while, now he only has to reach it again. So whether he would have won or not is irrelevant by now. He didn't win. He'll do his best to get the tools to prevent that from happening again. Let's just look forward to this fantastic crazy ride he'll take us on and rejoice imagining the incredible programs he'll show us in the process.

Bravo!  Right on!  As I said in a recent post, I feel strongly that Yuzu has to get into the mindset he had when he was working his way up from being 'an up and coming skater' to being King of the Mountain.  I think his problem of late was he was still psychologically defending his status as number one.  He may not have consciously thought that way but he was essentially playing a defensive game.  He has to recapture that special fire that led him upwards to victory at Sochi (and also GPF 1 and WC 1).  He has to recognize that he's not in the situation he was in during those four seasons leading to PC.  He's down below and looking up.  Recapture that early fire, take into account the injury factor, and then I think we'll see a Yuzu we haven't seen since before Sochi.

24 minutes ago, Bilge said:

It seems like doing a correct flip edge is easier with prerotation but isn't a flat edge better than prerotation? A hypothetical perfectionist view not in judges' eyes ofcourse:giggle:

Does deep edge in Flip always come with a prerotation? :think:

Maybe it's only correlated, not causal?

20 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Yeah that's weird tbh..I thought 4A could be closer, he's at least trained it for a few months, but maybe he wants to make sure his muscles get stroger doing the other jumps before going back to 4A and address that "wall" he was talking about?

And also, as he said, toe jumps are less dependent on ice condition, so maybe there's that too...

The mere idea that we can really see 4Lz back is already making me giddy:tumblr_inline_mzx8zzarLt1r8msi5:I wonder if re-learning the jump could also mean we could have a slightly different jump...(maybe less delay? would he even be capable of that?)

But for now I just pray that he can have healthy off season and a whole healthy season, so he'll be able to follow his plans...

...maybe his success rate on 4A is not that high yet :sigh:. I think in order of familiarity it should be 4Lz>4A>4F, but maybe by now, since Yuzu has put the 4A training on the backseat the familiarity he feels between 4A and 4F is roughly the same...

At any rate I wish him sturdy ankle :smiley-angelic001:

2 hours ago, Xen said:

I hate to say this, but in east asia, haha....no it won't. There are plenty of times in the past where fans wondered if JSF wanted to ditch Yuzu and if it's better for him to fly a different flag. yes they've supported him before, but quite a bit is also out of self interest (as his commercial deals etc have a portion of profits go to JSF).  Some of the arguments and reasons why fans are pissed off in the first place, is an argument about "fairness" to other skaters if a star is too popular (which wasn't used on Mao or Daisuke btw, at least I don't recall it).

You think so? Money usually talks...and I'm sure they count on ticket sales to fund some things...so it'd have some kind of impact. 

I can sort of see the fairness argument, but only sort of. For it to be a valid argument, they'd have to ban all tossing of gifts/flowers on the ice at every competition,not just the Pooh rain. 

Incidentally, I understand maybe a little bit why Raf made his comment about the Pooh rain as I have been a coach (in a different sport though) myself. If your athlete knows the crowd is cheering for another and not them,  it can be hard to deal with. On the other hand, it's not like Yuzuru is asking for fans to do this so as to gain advantage. It just happens, like soft ice conditions. It's the job of the coach to prepare his athlete for all the things that just happen, including Pooh rain. And Nathan seems to revel in it, it certainly hasn't psyched him out any.

IMO the JSF commentary has nothing to do with any real effect the Pooh rain may or may not have had on Nathan and has more to do with other things.  

4 hours ago, Louitunes said:

It's our ACCOLADE! 

ACCOLADE:

an award or privilege granted as a special honour or as an acknowledgement of merit.

"the hotel has won numerous accolades"

synonyms:honour, recognition, privilege, award, gift, title; More

a touch on a person's shoulders with a sword at the bestowing of a knighthood. 

I WISH WE COULD DO No 2.

Arise Sir Yuzu!!!!  :headdesk:

Maybe if he was British we could nominate him for honours like that. 

OTOH, the People's Honour Award he got last year is basically that, right? An accolade.