General Yuzuru Chat

15 hours ago, micaelis said:

I fundamentally agree with you but I would also add another element that must be taken into account as far as how Yuzu proceeds in the future - the injury.  For the second season in a row he has been forced to sit out much of the season because of an injury.  We know Yuzu is intelligent, very intelligent in fact, and the fact that virtually identical injuries have dealt him two radically shortened seasons means he's undoubtedly looking at whatever significance they might hold for him.  As 4Nessie said, he has to get back into fighting mode.  And I think he has to have programs that reflect that.  Except for LGC his competitive programs in recent seasons have had a meditative quality to them.  He has to get back to dramatic, over-the-top programs like POTO and RJ1.  He has to get back to that fire he had when he was working his way from the ranks of 'promising young skaters' to his breakout season, 2013-14.  True, he had real focus after that season when he was on a mission to capture a second Olympic gold, but that pursuit was one conducted from his position as the number-one-ranked men's skater.  Psychologically I think he needs to get back to the mental set where he was working to do the stuff that enabled him to be ranked number one and to keep that ranking. 

The important element that has to be taken into account as he once again works to earn that number one ranking is the fact that he now knows he is physically fragile.  He's in his mid-twenties now, not his mid-teens and things begin happening physically once one reaches that age in which one can be seen to have a fully mature body.  He's past that point now.  It's downhill from now on out so he has to keep that in mind.  True, the physical fitness he has is hardly that of a man looking at his declining years.  Old age comes on very slowly at first, accelerating after one's first half-century.  He has many years left for him but these injuries tell him that he is not invulnerable and that what he could do easily and with little thought of the consequences a decade ago is not now possible.  I think that message has gotten through to him, witness receiving his gold medal while on crutches in Moscow this season.  It was symbolic of the fact that he now knows not only that certain things CAN happen, but that certain things now DO happen. 

I have been writing the above looking back at my own life.  I turn 72 today and my health is such I can't be confident I'll reach 73.  Until some four years ago I went everywhere on my bike (I've never had a driver's license), cheerfully going ten miles or so without any real worry.  Then my health took a sudden downturn and since that time I've been unable to use my bike.  In fact nowadays I spend most of my time in a wheelchair.  I've become very much aware of how things can go wrong with a body I'd spent decades never particularly worrying about.  Things can go wrong rapidly and I think that is something that is perhaps finally dawning on Yuzu.  Two years in a row his right ankle has sabotaged his season.  He has to be trying to figure out how to minimize the chances of a repeat or ways to minimize something else happening.  How he goes about it I can't say but I'm sure that even more than a 4A trying to get a handle on how to skate to his max without injuring himself has to be Yuzu's top priority right now.  He overcame the primarily mental effects of the earthquake.  I'm sure he'll do the same here, but the solution, when it comes, might be as surprising to him as to everybody else once he implements it.

Also, happy belated birthday! :tumblr_inline_mto5hwcNlg1qid2nw::tumblr_meh7eaW0cM1qdlkyg::tumblr_inline_nhkezmeBaq1qid2nw:

Wishing you well in health!

31 minutes ago, faeline said:

How about another PPoS! :muahaha:

Yassss!!! And on the topic of PPOS, do you think his bitterness abt it has transferred into him Zusaaa-ing into every Gala??? We had Crazy swan, then Crazy haru, I sincerely hope for the tradition to continue :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

15 hours ago, micaelis said:

I fundamentally agree with you but I would also add another element that must be taken into account as far as how Yuzu proceeds in the future - the injury.  For the second season in a row he has been forced to sit out much of the season because of an injury.  We know Yuzu is intelligent, very intelligent in fact, and the fact that virtually identical injuries have dealt him two radically shortened seasons means he's undoubtedly looking at whatever significance they might hold for him.  As 4Nessie said, he has to get back into fighting mode.  And I think he has to have programs that reflect that.  Except for LGC his competitive programs in recent seasons have had a meditative quality to them.  He has to get back to dramatic, over-the-top programs like POTO and RJ1.  He has to get back to that fire he had when he was working his way from the ranks of 'promising young skaters' to his breakout season, 2013-14.  True, he had real focus after that season when he was on a mission to capture a second Olympic gold, but that pursuit was one conducted from his position as the number-one-ranked men's skater.  Psychologically I think he needs to get back to the mental set where he was working to do the stuff that enabled him to be ranked number one and to keep that ranking. 

The important element that has to be taken into account as he once again works to earn that number one ranking is the fact that he now knows he is physically fragile.  He's in his mid-twenties now, not his mid-teens and things begin happening physically once one reaches that age in which one can be seen to have a fully mature body.  He's past that point now.  It's downhill from now on out so he has to keep that in mind.  True, the physical fitness he has is hardly that of a man looking at his declining years.  Old age comes on very slowly at first, accelerating after one's first half-century.  He has many years left for him but these injuries tell him that he is not invulnerable and that what he could do easily and with little thought of the consequences a decade ago is not now possible.  I think that message has gotten through to him, witness receiving his gold medal while on crutches in Moscow this season.  It was symbolic of the fact that he now knows not only that certain things CAN happen, but that certain things now DO happen. 

I have been writing the above looking back at my own life.  I turn 72 today and my health is such I can't be confident I'll reach 73.  Until some four years ago I went everywhere on my bike (I've never had a driver's license), cheerfully going ten miles or so without any real worry.  Then my health took a sudden downturn and since that time I've been unable to use my bike.  In fact nowadays I spend most of my time in a wheelchair.  I've become very much aware of how things can go wrong with a body I'd spent decades never particularly worrying about.  Things can go wrong rapidly and I think that is something that is perhaps finally dawning on Yuzu.  Two years in a row his right ankle has sabotaged his season.  He has to be trying to figure out how to minimize the chances of a repeat or ways to minimize something else happening.  How he goes about it I can't say but I'm sure that even more than a 4A trying to get a handle on how to skate to his max without injuring himself has to be Yuzu's top priority right now.  He overcame the primarily mental effects of the earthquake.  I'm sure he'll do the same here, but the solution, when it comes, might be as surprising to him as to everybody else once he implements it.

Happy belated birthday! @micaelis :tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw: Wishing you all the best and I hope you'll be happy and healthy :tumblr_inline_n2pjd3guzE1qdlkyg:

1 hour ago, faeline said:

After all, Yuzu's programs this season were not tailored to break records. We'll see what his kuyashii will create in September.

If a program not tailored for record breaking is this number... what will he make? :pouty:

I still remember his words before ACI about skating for himself and not care about the score. :rofl:

2 minutes ago, freeyafanfan said:

we all know those days won't last :LOL: it was good while it lasted but not really cause we all wonder when the kuyashii will burn again :003:

We are stressed as hell, but we all love the kuyashii, don't we?