General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

I’m worried for Yuzu’s ankles as he plans to train all the quads. Why is he like this?

Edge jumps are difficult but don’t get nearly as much base value sigh. (Figure skating is such an unfair sport in so many ways, no wonder it’s dying. Athletes are better off doing other sports. ) He mentioned the toe jumps have a better landing percentage. Besides the difficulty, edge jumps are also more easily affected by ice condition. Now that I think about it, when the temprature in the arena is too high, it usually affects him, like in Boston, and it happened here again in Saitama. 

I really admire Yuzu for traning the quad loop despite its low base value. But skaters who want to win should focus on traning quad Flip and Lutz first instead of the loop and sal. Raf is a great strategist in that sense. I wonder if Yuzu regretted not focusing on training the toe jumps years ago. 

I don't think he regrets not going for toe jumps first because he's always loved doing edge jumps, and also he has always been aiming for high GOEs rather than relying on BVs.

And yes, basic values! I don't understand either.

Ted Barton thinks that even though difficulties are different from skaters to skaters, the 4L should be harder than the 4F/4Lz. And like that 4T+3A+seq, a *0.8 on the BV?!

I really don't know what this sport is about.

Also the thought of Yuzu needing to chase anybody is just ridiculous.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

All the things Yuzu has said about how competing is what makes him happy, and about how having a strong opponent gives him a thrill and makes him want to win even more, reminds me of two things:

1. every shonen manga protagonist ever. 

2. that Bible verse from Ps 19 that describes the sun as  'rejoicing as a strong man to run a race'; the theme being 'the heavens declare the glory of God'. Yuzu absolutely sounds like 'a strong man rejoicing in testing his mettle in a race. 

yeah. my Yuzu obsession keeps pointing me back to my faith. Is that weird? 

Yes!! I mean no it's no weird! Me too! I wrote a song of Psalm 19 and sang it at church. I talked beforehand about Yuzuru and how God showed him the stars the night of the earthquake.  I always remember how joyful Yuzuru is and how he's a champion. My version says Like a Champion the sun rejoices to run his course.  I love how Psalm 19 says the skies proclaim the work of God's hands. Day after day they pour forth speech, night after night they reveal knowledge. Sorry I'm so excited somebody saw the same thing!!

5 minutes ago, Glory said:

Yes!! I mean no it's no weird! Me too! I wrote a song of Psalm 19 and sang it at church. I talked beforehand about Yuzuru and how God showed him the stars the night of the earthquake.  I always remember how joyful Yuzuru is and how he's a champion. My version says Like a Champion the sun rejoices to run his course.  I love how Psalm 19 says the skies proclaim the work of God's hands. Day after day they pour forth speech, night after night they reveal knowledge. Sorry I'm so excited somebody saw the same thing!!

the way I see it, the skaters (and any athletes really) also proclaim the work of God's hands and reflect His glory because He made them able to do great things.  

However, this is not a religious forum and I don't want to make others uncomfortable, so that's all I want to say about it for now. but it is nice to know we both see it :)

2 hours ago, TallyT said:

But I don't believe for one minute he will ever be - and probably doesn't want to be - as loved and revered as Yuzu at home or worldwide (the only one I can think of who was near is Plushy. Oh, and Yuna of course). He also won't be the saviour of the sport in NA that they are hyping and hoping for.  He doesn't have a country that cares very much. Nor does he - nor any of the others, not even Shoma or Javi -  the lighting in crystal aspects Yuzu does, the bishonen appeal, the unearthly emotional connection with his audience, the love and respect of a whole country, the vulnerability, the tragedy and triumph, the symbolism of being Sendai's hope and the phoenix, the symbol of courage and strength for the people who have needed it.

I totally agree with this and as an American, this is something that I really wish the USFS and American media would get. Nathan will never be Yuzu, and in terms of American skaters, he's not Michelle Kwan 2.0 either. That era is over. All they're really accomplishing by trying to force this is creating a backlash against Nathan that may come back to bite them in the end.

10 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

I totally agree with this and as an American, this is something that I really wish the USFS and American media would get. Nathan will never be Yuzu, and in terms of American skaters, he's not Michelle Kwan 2.0 either. That era is over. All they're really accomplishing by trying to force this is creating a backlash against Nathan that may come back to bite them in the end.

here's a thought: they could just let Nathan be Nathan, and his audience will find him, instead of the other way around. From there support and interest will build. Nathan's likeable enough. 

But IMO the saviours of American figure skating are/should be the Shib sibs. They've got the appeal, they've got the chops, and they're already doing it through their own social media anyway. I hope they come back to competition soon. 

17 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

the way I see it, the skaters (and any athletes really) also proclaim the work of God's hands and reflect His glory because He made them able to do great things.  

However, this is not a religious forum and I don't want to make others uncomfortable, so that's all I want to say about it for now. but it is nice to know we both see it :)

My mom and I see it, too. :)

Speaking of signs, I saw some swans on the way to work the other day and was sure hoping they'd be a sign of Yuzu winning gold, but I guess they were just swans. :68468287:

7 minutes ago, utsukushii3A said:

My mom and I see it, too. :)

Speaking of signs, I saw some swans on the way to work the other day and was sure hoping they'd be a sign of Yuzu winning gold, but I guess they were just swans. :68468287:

This year's bird theme was phoenix tho, not swans...:peek:

10 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

here's a thought: they could just let Nathan be Nathan, and his audience will find him, instead of the other way around. From there support and interest will build. Nathan's likeable enough. 

But IMO the saviours of American figure skating are/should be the Shib sibs. They've got the appeal, they've got the chops, and they're already doing it through their own social media anyway. I hope they come back to competition soon. 

The skater that I really fear for a bit at this point is Alysa Liu, because while they're doing the most with Nathan at this point, I think that what they really want and feel like they need to revitalize skating in the US is a new superstar in ladies, and she's our only real hope at the moment. I hope they give her enough breathing room to develop at her own pace. 

Just now, Vulnavia said:

The skater that I really fear for a bit at this point is Alysa Liu, because while they're doing the most with Nathan at this point, I think that what they really want and feel like they need to revitalize skating in the US is a new superstar in ladies, and she's our only real hope at the moment. I hope they give her enough breathing room to develop at her own pace. 

See I've never understood the fascination with ladies' singles in the US. The Americans have had great skaters in all disciplines over the years, many big winners, but the ones who get the Disney parades and all the star treatment are the girls. Why? It smacks of an undue regard for archaic feminine stereotypes to me. 

5 hours ago, guiltypleasure said:

Happy Birthday, Michaelis :tumblr_meh7eaW0cM1qdlkyg: all the best to you.

Happy Birthday to Michaelis. I hope your health is staying good for many years. I understand your thinking. I am your age too. It's funny that Yuzuru has fans from all ages.

Your post on the situation that faced Yuzuru in his pursuit of skating and winning in future competitions makes me very worried.

In light of what happened with the results and the judging at World 2019, I don't see how Yuzuru can win in the future against Nathan Chen. For the judges, a clean Nathan with 4-quad will win over a clean Yuzuru with 4-quad because:

1) Base value of Nathan is higher,

2) The judges will give Nathan more GOE than Yuzuru

3) Even Nathan got the same PCS as Yuzuru for now, maybe in the future Nathan will get more PCS than Yuzuru if he keeps winning competitions,

4) Yuzuru wants to increase his Base value by training and adding others quads including quad axel, quad lutz, quad flip in competitions. But his body, his past and present injuries and his age- now he is 24 compared to Nathan 19- all are making this decision very difficult to realise. He has only 1 or 2 or 3 years to do this. Is it enough time to get all those quads? What can happen to his body? More injuries?

5) Even if Yuzuru try to increase his Base value, does he will get the preference of the judges to give him GOE or PCS competitively compared to Nathan?

In the end, I don't believe that is a winning battle. 

I hope that Yuzuru will think of his health first.

His health is the priority.

He can not train and win competitions if he is not in good health or he is injured.

I pray for his health. Please no more injuries.

Sorry for my long post and sad feelings.

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It smacks of an undue regard for archaic feminine stereotypes to me. 

Yep, and the flip side of that, the archaic constructs of masculinity that cause some people to stereotype fs as a girly sport and male skaters as not manly enough, and, to bring this back to Yuzu, the same nonsense that causes some NA fans and even commentators to make snarky comments about Yuzu's skating style and his willingness to rock sparkles and pink ruffles with zero regard for their rigid standards about what men should wear and how they should skate. 

7 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

See I've never understood the fascination with ladies' singles in the US. The Americans have had great skaters in all disciplines over the years, many big winners, but the ones who get the Disney parades and all the star treatment are the girls. Why? It smacks of an undue regard for archaic feminine stereotypes to me. 

Lol, it's a cornerstone of American life. Not surprising at all.