General Yuzuru Chat

51 minutes ago, SuperMin said:

I think what Yuzu said about the Olympics is so true for figure skating.  Many who are not considered the greatest have won the Olympics. Bu those who are on the short list for the GOAT had to have an Olympic gold.

Browning, Kwan, and Mao fans probably have a different opinion (because they have no choice).  But Iosing a worlds doesn't seem to be nearly as emotionally scarring for these athletes as losing an Olympics seems.  

4 hours ago, ICeleste said:

@WinForPooh your wish is my command! (I've made the video you asked for)

Here are the three World Medallists' free programs, except that I cut out all of their jumps and spins. AKA in this video you'll see all of their skating in-between. I also wrote at the bottom the marks that each skater got for TR, SS, PE, IN, CO and STSQ and CHSQ GOEs.

It's unlisted because I don't want ISU to delete my channel, but you may reupload it or share it elsewhere.

(btw I'm sorry for the low quality)

Wow, thank you!!!

Yuzuru, even injured, is just... Well the scoring system is broken.

But I am surprised, really surprised, because Vincent's skate is not as empty as I expected it to be. I dislike him personally because stuff but he has improved his skating and his performance. Too bad his jumps are still like that.

And now I think Nathan's quads are his PE and IN, too. He's a very good kid but without those quads, his PCS would be nowhere near where they are now. Nowhere. 

6 hours ago, LadySnowblood said:

This pretty much matches what I heard (somehow couldn't get this without the first tweet):

6 hours ago, Freyuru said:

I was watching this live, and it did seem that he was referring to himself that he didn't consider himself a true champion unless he won the Olympics, and I don't think he was throwing shade at Nathan. But I can see how it could be perceived that way.  I think he realised after he said it though because he made a few funny faces once he finished speaking.

6 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Yuzu's comments were completely frank and reasonable in context. I think it's something that sounds egotistical to non-athletes and especially when taken away from the question and the rest of what he said (and even what Nathan said kind of reinforced it), but what Yuzu meant, Nathan and Vincent and any of the other skaters would likely understand completely.

The Olympics are the ultimate prize, the top of the mountain that has Worlds close to, but not quite at, its peak. It's wonderful to win other competitions, and you can be a champion of lots of things and feel very proud, but 'Olympic Champion' will always be the #1 goal of an elite athlete and will always be the first thing on their resume for the rest of their lives if they win. Why did Patrick Chan, with his illustrious list of accomplishments and World titles, not feel peace until he had that Pyeongchang team gold in his hand? Why did Aljona Savchenko, with her amazing career, burn with kuyashii and keep going and going and going past the age when most other people would have quit, until she got Olympic gold? Because then -- you really feel like the champion you wanted to be. You really are the champion of all champions.

There isn't one skater at that competition who wouldn't feel a smidgen taller with Olympic gold around their neck than a gold from Saitama Worlds. I bet anything Yuzu would have traded his two Worlds golds for that Pyeongchang title in a second if he'd had to; it's that important to him. Yuzu isn't sugarcoating it or even necessarily tooting his own horn. He's telling us how an athlete at his level honestly feels.

6 hours ago, liv said:

For someone with high standards for himself, I can see that he would never consider himself a true champion unless he won Olys... and for him he probably meant winning two before he would be a real champion. Other people of course, depending on their own goals, might consider achieving a medal as enough to make them a champion. I do not see it as throwing shade on Nathan, but for people looking for that from him, it could easily be perceived that way.

Thank you very much > <

5 hours ago, ICeleste said:

@WinForPooh your wish is my command! (I've made the video you asked for)

Here are the three World Medallists' free programs, except that I cut out all of their jumps and spins. AKA in this video you'll see all of their skating in-between. I also wrote at the bottom the marks that each skater got for TR, SS, PE, IN, CO and STSQ and CHSQ GOEs.

It's unlisted because I don't want ISU to delete my channel, but you may reupload it or share it elsewhere.

(btw I'm sorry for the low quality)

well, it's blocked now. Any way you could upload it to streamable or google drive?

30 minutes ago, Yuzupu said:

Javi's interview from Olym Channel. He had lots of complimentary words for Yuzu.

I love Javi, but I wish he hadn't chosen this moment to be diplomatic... (I'll take Javi Raya over him this time...)

2 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I love Javi, but I wish he hadn't chosen this moment to be diplomatic... (I'll take Javi Raya over him this time...)

Yeah, he was very diplomatic there, one sentence for Yuzu then one for Nathan. 

It seems Raya had to delete his tweet (or instagram) about Yuzu being the complete skater while Nathan being the technical and athletic one. 

3 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

Browning, Kwan, and Mao fans probably have a different opinion (because they have no choice).  But Iosing a worlds doesn't seem to be nearly as emotionally scarring for these athletes as losing an Olympics seems.  

But - if they were being truly honest - would Browning, Kwan and Mao?

I'm upset - I wanted this for him so much - but he's been beaten before, he's risen.  And even if the injuries get too much, he can aim for the 4A and then head off into immortality, as the greatest complete skater, and the most loved worldwide, of the IJS era if not all time.