General Yuzuru Chat

Oh gosh, if any Japanese-speakers ever want a really good laugh, do a Japanese->English Bing translation. Sometimes it's decent, other times it's hilariously bad. It does a decent job with Yuzu's blogs, but anything with a lot of informal language or figure skating/music/anime/whatever terminology is a very, very different story. Tweets in Japanese are goldmines for bad Bing translations.

3 hours ago, utsukushii3A said:

Oh gosh, if any Japanese-speakers ever want a really good laugh, do a Japanese->English Bing translation. Sometimes it's decent, other times it's hilariously bad. It does a decent job with Yuzu's blogs, but anything with a lot of informal language or figure skating/music/anime/whatever terminology is a very, very different story. Tweets in Japanese are goldmines for bad Bing translations.

Google Translate also has it's moments. It usually translates his name as 'Hanyu string' or 'Hanyu knitting'...and when the -senshu is there, he is suddenly a 'string player' or a 'knitting player'....needless to say, most of the time I'm re-translating the Googlish into real English in my head afterwards. 

So yeah. Yuzuru Hanyu, competitive knitter, that's him. 

I can only imagine what it does in reverse, from English to Japanese...:dontdothistome:

30 minutes ago, utsukushii3A said:

22 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Google Translate also has it's moments. It usually translates his name as 'Hanyu string' or 'Hanyu knitting'...and when the -senshu is there, he is suddenly a 'string player' or a 'knitting player'....needless to say, most of the time I'm re-translating to the Googlish into real English in my head afterwards. 

I can only imagine what it does in reverse, from English to Japanese...:dontdothistome:

Yeah, I usually Google translate the Japanese tweets about Yuzu or FS that appear on my feed to have an idea of what is going on... And most of the time you need a very creative mind for the result to make any sense at all... Indeed, so bad it's hilarious :smiley-laughing021: (though I'm still grateful for the function since I barely speak 3 words of Japanese :facepalm:)

44 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Google Translate also has it's moments. It usually translates his name as 'Hanyu string' or 'Hanyu knitting'...and when the -senshu is there, he is suddenly a 'string player' or a 'knitting player'....needless to say, most of the time I'm re-translating to the Googlish into real English in my head afterwards. 

All I can think of now is a competitive knitter knitting at hyper speed going "ZETTAI KATSU!" :muahaha:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I tested Google translate (Japanese ---> German) with Yuzu's latest blog entry just for fun and this is what I got :xD:

You have inspired me to try Japanese--->Polish (normally I use Japanese-->English) and this is what I got:

Witam wszystkich. To jest łańcuch Hanyu. 

Dzisiaj chciałbym porozmawiać o źródle mojej pasji. 
Źródłem mojej pasji jest zwycięstwo. Kiedy jesteś pasjonatem, możesz uzyskać wiele fałd od ludzi. Nie zapominając o mojej pasji, chciałbym nadal próbować mojego życia na łyżwach! 
Więc miłego dnia! 

Update Aktualizacja bloga przez Yusuke Hanyu zostanie wznowiona od wtorku, 2 kwietnia 2019 roku. Czekamy na to!

my translation:

Hello everyone, this is chain Hanyu.

Today, I'd like to talk about the source of my passion. The source of my passion is victory. When you are passionate about something you can get many foldings/rolls. Without forgetting my passion, I would like to keep trying in my skating life. So, pease have a nice day. Update:  this will be last blog entry by Yusuke Hanyu until April 2, we are waiting for this.

So no strings or knitting here. he is either chain or Yusuke  (google is not consistent...) 

2 minutes ago, Ania said:

You have inspired me to try Japanese--->Polish (normally I use Japanese-->English) and this is what I got:

So no strings or knitting here. he is either chain or Yusuke  (google is not consistent...) 

Foldings? 

Just now, Fay said:

Foldings? 

Hmm, It's the closest word I could think of, meaning a line or mark where cloth, fabric etc. was is folded. 

Just now, Ania said:

Hmm, It's the closest word I could think of, meaning a line or mark where cloth, fabric etc. was /is folded. 

4 minutes ago, Ania said:

Hmm, It's the closest word I could think of, meaning a line or mark where cloth, fabric etc. was is folded. 

So the German wrinkles didn’t go very far! 

Was going to try Japanese to Russian, but the blog won’t upload for me. 

Now it did - it’s a blog from someone called Hanyui 

and he does get folds from people too. A lot of folds. 

Happy St Patrick's Day!!

HBKebbN.png

Those who live in Europe/America may have to wait for a bit longer but where I live, it is already Sunday, 17th of March! :tumblr_inline_n2pjd0dgUw1qdlkyg:

And the creature in the pic is not really a goat but is a unicorn (hence leprecorn not leprechaun) ...anyway, I still think it's appropriate for our overlord :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

This reminds me of absolutely hilarious pictures you see from time to time on the internet that show signs from around the world with hilarious attempts at English translations for things like restaurants, or signs etc.. The people have tried their best, maybe using computer translation programs, but the number of double meanings that result have me in stitches.

23 minutes ago, liv said:

This reminds me of absolutely hilarious pictures you see from time to time on the internet that show signs from around the world with hilarious attempts at English translations for things like restaurants, or signs etc.. The people have tried their best, maybe using computer translation programs, but the number of double meanings that result have me in stitches.

Herring under a fur coat. Roast beef of a language with weshenki. Many other gems I spotted in our restaurant menus...

22 minutes ago, Fay said:

Herring under a fur coat. Roast beef of a language with weshenki. Many other gems I spotted in our restaurant menus...

I have no idea what "weshenki" is supposed to be, but is "roast beef of a language" a botched attempt at "roast cow tongue"? Yuzu would probably order that, since he likes gyuutan.

...and now I'm hungry. :laughing: