General Yuzuru Chat

24 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So did anyone else get the error message 'Comment cannot be posted unless it contains full-width characters' when they try to post to the Kose blog? 

Does that mean I have to Google translate my comment into questionable Japanese? 

I haven't tried it yet but I know a lot of Japanese sites only take full-width or half-width characters. Just google a full-width text generator and copy and paste the english text and it'll convert it over for you, it usually just makes it look fatter or skinnier.

4 hours ago, utsukushii3A said:

Like here? :67638860:

He obviously was embarrassed and felt bad for Boyang that he didn't get to answer, but I hope he can look back on this and see himself as a very smart person who genuinely cares about his sport and not some rambling dude who spoke for 5 minutes. :laughing: 

Both Boyang and Mura (on the other side) thought it was hilarious.... :10814716:

5 hours ago, micaelis said:

I have been spending some time in the last few days looking at Yuzu videos where he's not skating, but rather being interviewed or even being part of some light-hearted video stunt.  This particular video gives a clear evidence to me why Yuzu is so popular in Japan.  It has to do with accessibility.  Not accessibility in terms or physical proximity but accessibility in terms of Yuzu relating to the vast Japanese public, skating fans and non-skating fans alike, in terms of the full range of human situations and emotions.  Yuzu in so many videos shows a range of responses that are much beyond the range of most athletes when asked questions.  The average athlete will mouth some pious platitude or cliche, giving an answer he/she expects is the correct, expected one.  Yuzu, however, can be very thoughtful and careful in articulating answers where he wants to clearly communicate the depth of his response.  On the other hand he can be lighthearted and playful, even capable of self-mockery at times.  It's his range of responses in many different situations and the sense of genuineness he communicates in the responses that make him so popular.  It's a good thing he doesn't have political interests because if he were a politician with that ability to communicate he would be formidable.  In any case Yuzuru Hanyu the athlete occupies the position he does because he is on one hand the legendary skater who has dominated not only men's skating but all of figure-skating these last few years.  On the other hand because of his many outreach activities for the recovery and his own struggles with injuries he has become the legendary survivor for so many Japanese.  His struggles reflect their struggles and that has given him a link to the Japanese general public that few, athletes and non-athletes alike, can duplicate.  As I see it, for the Japanese general public Yuzu is not merely the complete skater but the complete human being.  Few public figures achieve such a profile and the fact is that Yuzu knows that and sees the responsibility that such a position engenders.  The one thing that can be said about Yuzu over these years since the earthquake is that he never shirks what he thinks it's his duty.  Borrowing a phrase from the English poet Geoffrey Chaucer, Yuzu is 'the parfait gentle knight'.

Yuzuru became a symbol for many Japanese: as I read somewhere "the hope of Sendai" and an icon to represent the courage, resistance and winning against adversity they were all looking for.  He pretty much became this as a 16-17 year old, a mere infant, and it has just become stronger and clearer over the years. It must have been and continues to be hard for such a still very young man, and would have been so easy for people - even fans and admirers - to unconsciously dehumanise him into just a beautiful symbol, or for him to close off a bit, and retreat into detachment and the cliches that many famous people resort to. It would have been understandable. But he didn't, he always wore - still wears - his heart and his compassion and caring on his glittery sleeve. He wears his position and symbolism with grace, respect, humility and even humour, seeming to see it as just one more thing he can do for the people in his beloved home country and disaster area.

(This is why I roll my eyes when they talk about other skaters - and not just Nathan Chen, I'm not decrying what he felt and was put through at the Olympics - being under such "unheard of" pressure; the burden of expectations, hopes and wishes, and of his own misplaced guilt and fierce desire to give back to his people that Yuzu was under, from before Sochi (maybe even Nice 2012!) till Pyongchang and even now, is in a completely different level.)

23 minutes ago, Ania said:

Yuzu cryptid mode :hachimaki:

I, on the other hand, decided to finally delurk on this Planet and just wanna tell you how much I love and appreciate this place and all the fellow Satelites 

Could that be the side of his head and part of his hand on the left???

1 hour ago, Glory said:

Could that be the side of his head and part of his hand on the left???

Yeah, it's totally him. Look at that hand position.

OF late I've developed the theory that part of the reason he doesn't appear so often in these photos is because he's the lad behind the camera...I mean it would make sense when you think about it. Where better to hide? 

While we're on the topic of this photo, I sure hope Gabby has a good Worlds. She needs to catch a break. 

56 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

OF late I've developed the theory that part of the reason he doesn't appear so often in these photos is because he's the lad behind the camera...I mean it would make sense when you think about it. Where better to hide? 

I liked your theory a lot, but it turns out he wasn't even there :( 

lad behind the camera was a little girl who trains in tcc, she commented on this post

no, still not desperate, not a bit  

Hi everyone, I sent Yuzuru Hanyu a framed drawing of Winnie the Pooh ice skating on Monday morning. Along with it was some pictures of how I made it, some homemade Winnie the Pooh stickers and a letter. I forgot to add "Japan Skating Federation" to the forwarding address though, but I'm just wondering if it will get forwarded to him or not. Listed below are my previous postings on Facebook and Tumblr (please check it out). I'm not completely certain if he'll reply even though there have been a few instances that he did (such as nonchan and yuzu sorbet on Tumblr). Do tell me what you think, I'm open to your thoughts. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610393525875114/?multi_permalinks=2283481628566297&notif_id=1552341392934215&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic-My post is listed as March 11th

https://cynthiateoh.tumblr.com/post/183454958465/yuzuru-hanyu-fan-mail-This post was listed as March 14th (only one person noticed it so far)