General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Secretly, it matters to me just because I would love to see his greatness gets reflected and just because it looks cool with the streak. But of course I understand his greatness isn't based solely on this. now that I think about it, maybe the reason Shoma wanted to win so badly at 4CC was to secure his world standing? regardless, it'd be interesting to see the results this season. It's such a shame these last two seasons have been once again plagued with injuries for Yuzu that he couldn't compete enough to garner points for this season year end world standing. :( hopefully he could at least get season's best. 

4CC + EU gold only give you 840 pts, less than 4th place at WC (875), so no one do 4CC to secure ws standing, when it would likely be replaced by WC point later. 

Your counting on WC standing is abit wrong. They only take 2 highest points for ISU championship ( and 4 highest for GPs and CS). If Yuzuru won WC, his WS would be 4900, not 5740. Not doing GPF 2 years in a row affect his WS alot. 

As long as Yuzuru's in top 6 = final group for WC, its all fine. Last year he went to Olympic as #1 WS and still drew #1 in the SP, so it doesn't give him any advantage because of random draw

In 2013, Yuzuru reached #1 WS for the first time despite not winning WC, purely because of GP and CS points. After all, World standing in FS doesn't mean much, unlike tennis.

14 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Yuzuru wants to win, and follows every competition (so he has seen the absurd US Nationals scores, but apart from the scores, he has seen Nathan in top form). He will plan his layout accordingly. We can just have faith in his mind and hope that everything will go according to plan <3 

That's my attitude, too. The competition won't be fought out on the planned layout sheets alone. There are countless other factors that will decide about the placements.
1. Daily form and mood

2. Experience

3. Mental strength and intimidation (on and off the ice)

4. Support or extra pressure by media and fans
5. The judging
6. Skating Gods' malice or benevolence

Helsinki 2017 and PyeongChang 2018 have thought us a lot in that perspective. Everyone's talking about "what if skater XY skates clean", but... how often has it actually happened that either of them has done two completely clean skates at the really big competitions (Olympics, Worlds, GPF)? Yuzu did it once at GPF '15, Nathan at Worlds last year and Boyang at Worlds '17. So it's still something really special and I wouldn't bet my money on a clean final group in Saitama...

I trust in Yuzu that he considers all these things in his preparation, too:sipping:

2 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Helsinki 2017 and PyeongChang 2018 have thought us a lot in that perspective. Everyone's talking about "what if skater XY skates clean", but... how often has it actually happened that either of them has done two completely clean skates at the really big competitions (Olympics, Worlds, GPF)? Yuzu did it once at GPF '15, Nathan at Worlds last year and Boyang at Worlds '17. So it's still something really special and I wouldn't bet my money on a clean final group in Saitama...

Uhm, i wouldn't call Nathan's wc18 was clean compare to Yuzuru's gpf15 or Boyang's wc17 when he had some wonky landing (negative goe) on both programs. Its his best comp internationally though.

3 hours ago, Katt said:

4CC + EU gold only give you 840 pts, less than 4th place at WC (875), so no one do 4CC to secure ws standing, when it would likely be replaced by WC point later. 

Your counting on WC standing is abit wrong. They only take 2 highest points for ISU championship ( and 4 highest for GPs and CS). If Yuzuru won WC, his WS would be 4900, not 5740. Not doing GPF 2 years in a row affect his WS alot. 

As long as Yuzuru's in top 6 = final group for WC, its all fine. Last year he went to Olympic as #1 WS and still drew #1 in the SP, so it doesn't give him any advantage because of random draw

In 2013, Yuzuru reached #1 WS for the first time despite not winning WC, purely because of GP and CS points. After all, World standing in FS doesn't mean much, unlike tennis.

Ohh I didnt know they only take 2 highest for ISU championships. So glad to be corrected as it gives Yuzu a higher chance. 

34 minutes ago, Katt said:

Uhm, i wouldn't call Nathan's wc18 was clean compare to Yuzuru's gpf15 or Boyang's wc17 when he had some wonky landing (negative goe) on both programs. Its his best comp internationally though.

Right. I only remembered the high score. He had negative GOE on four elements in total.

So... Nathan is still waiting for two clean skates at a big event. Shoma dito.

Ice Time Podcast No. 13: Daisuke Murakami

J: Jack Gallagher

D: Daisuke Murakami

Starts at 20:33

J: So it was the win at NHK Trophy(2014) was more of a catalyst to take you to the next level. Is that accurate?

D: Yes. I mean I must say, It was the cherry on top to beat Yuzu there. I don't think there's a lot of Japanese skaters who has beat Yuzu so I think I'm one of them that has beat him. I mean, I think he did have an off day that day but at the end of the day I did stand on top of that podium so I kinda was proud of myself.

J: Yeah, the fact is that was when he was both the Olympic and World Champion. Right? When you did that.....
You're gonna have that story to tell to your students in the next 40 years about the time you beat Hanyu. That's gonna be quite a story to tell.

D: It is but at the same time you know Yuzu and I are very great friends off the ice. You know this past New Year he sent me a very heartwarming "Happy New Years" or in Japanese as they say "Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu". I don't know what the definition is in English but you know we're great friends off the ice and even to this day he'll ask me you know 'how do you do such easy quad sal?' and he's always wanting to learn more and more. Even through his own rivals. So I respect him in that level where he doesn't think that he's the best but he also believes like he gets an opinion from everyone else. Which is great, I think.

J: I agree and you kind of already answered by next question which is What is it about Yuzu that makes him so great. In your opinion. Can you just talk about his physical ability and his mental ability. What's the key in your opinion?

D: As far as mentality goes I think he has one of the most strongest mentality because I don't know what kind of skater cannot / will not compete, comes off from an injury and then wins an Olympics game. To me that is pretty crazy. And you know, for me to say and complain that I had a lot of media attention, he has like a 100 times that and you know he's probably one of the most famous figure in Japan so I do not know how he juggles that but you know his skating results and continuously makes great results. For that, I think he's the best skater of all time. Ever.

J: I agree. It's been phenomenal to watch his career unfold. I was fortunate enough to be there in Sochi when he won the first Gold and also be there last year when he won the second Gold. Like you said it was absolutely incredible considering that he'd had the injury in Osaka back in November. Did you watch the Olympics on TV then, you were not there is that right?

D: I was not there but I was definitely cheering. I think there was more impact of him winning the second Olympics medal more that the first one. I don't know why but I was more emotional when I saw him win the second one.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Right. I only remembered the high score. He had negative GOE on four elements in total.

So... Nathan is still waiting for two clean skates at a big event. Shoma dito.

The men's comp at WC18 was something of a disaster. I don't remember anyone really going 'clean'. Except for Kazuki's clutch performance securing Japan's 3 spots, most of it was :ohno:

8 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The men's comp at WC18 was something of a disaster. I don't remember anyone really going 'clean'. Except for Kazuki's clutch performance securing Japan's 3 spots, most of it was :ohno:

In that sense the new judging system is a development imo. Nobody has skated completely clean, nobody has scored over 300 points in international competitions yet. No matter how many quads they landed.
It will be interesting to see, how many skaters can surpass the 300 mark in Saitama...

We're in the home stretch.  Worlds are just over three weeks away and I don't think it an exaggeration to say that TCC is the world's dominant training operation.  Yuzu will be there, representing Japan; Jason will be there, representing the US; Zhenya will be there, representing Russia; Jun will be there, representing Korea.  Junior Worlds are the week after next and while I don't know all of the juniors who are training at TCC, two of them, Stephen and Joseph, are the two regular Canadian entrants to Juniors with Stephen being one of the heavy favorites for gold.  Also, Conrad is one of the three alternates.  Looking at medal hopefuls, both Yuzu and Zhenya are amongst the favorites for gold and all in all TCC will be having its own version of March Madness next month.

PS - I really think, with all the top skaters TCC has, that there should be a thread here dedicated to TCC.  

9 hours ago, Huiqi said:

Out of topic, but can anyone here tell me which jump, 4Lz or 4Lo puts more strain on the right foot? 

Based on landing, about the same.

The take off of counterclockwise 4Lz requires the right foot to be the picking foot, which gives momentum for the jump. While in 4Lo, that does not happen. So, 4Lz puts more strain on the right foot.