General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Freyuru said:

Someone help me, I'm a new fan of Yuzuru and I am completely hooked!! I can't sleep.. i can't work .. all because i am consumed by watching this man!! He is unbelievable, I cannot get enough. Why did it take me so long to discover him, and of course what was the program that caught my attention!!!  Would anyone like to hazard a guess  as to what program that caught my attention?  

Hello and welcome! I don't know that any of us can help you solve your Yuzu fixation - we've all been pulled in too but at least we all understand what's it's like!

I'm going to guess Olympics Ballade, because that's the program that hooked me.

Someone help me, I'm a new fan of Yuzuru and I am completely hooked!! I can't sleep.. i can't work .. all because i am consumed by watching this man!! He is unbelievable, I cannot get enough. Why did it take me so long to discover him, and of course what was the program that caught my attention!!!  Would anyone like to hazard a guess  as to what program that caught my attention?  

Seimei Seimei Seimei. 

The olympics one because I have the same symptoms after watching that. 

Though if I notice him only this year, it maybe Origins cos the gold... the hair... the 2 nods that go with the beats at the start   :img_21:

Ah yes, the initial Hanyu infection... Don't worry, it will get better. The treatment is binge watching videos and selling organs to go watch him live:winky:

19 minutes ago, yumeaki said:

Seimei Seimei Seimei. 

The olympics one because I have the same symptoms after watching that. 

Though if I notice him only this year, it maybe Origins cos the gold... the hair... the 2 nods that go with the beats at the start   :img_21:

23 minutes ago, river said:

Hello and welcome! I don't know that any of us can help you solve your Yuzu fixation - we've all been pulled in too but at least we all understand what's it's like!

I'm going to guess Olympics Ballade, because that's the program that hooked me.

30 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

LOL sorry we cant even help ourselves so I guess let's just go down together :sadPooh: welcome, by the way! hmmm honestly all of his clean skate would have given the same effect but for me it was Sochi Parisienne Walkways so I'd go with that?

"Why did it take me so long to discover him?" <---- this question is my lifelong question as well. I wasted my entire youth on watching kpop when I could have stanned this GOAT

34 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Welcome to the Planet! Have fun here :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

My guess is Olympic Seimei? 

They should simply look at the selection criterias, what the rule says. And he was selected for Worlds according to the rules. It's as easy as that. 

41 minutes ago, VyVy99 said:

Ahhh~ You're not alone my friend, that early fever is way too familiar to us. The feeling when he finally caught your eye and appears in your life, and you instantly Know you wanted to meet him all this time. My guess would be Olympics Seimei.

edit: Or maybe more recently, COR Otonal?

1 hour ago, ralucutzagy said:

Yeah, the PPoS tends to have that kind of effect on fans, especially the new ones! haha just jk :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

@Freyuru, welcome to the planet and my guess is maybe Notte Stellata? :8232307:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Given how much he seems to have bowled you over, it has to be Let's Go Crazy. :snmouchotto:

1 hour ago, yuzuonice said:

Hello, welcome! We've all been there haha.

My guess is Olympic Chopin? :D 

Well I am surprised to say that no one guessed the right answer. But the program which caught my attention and just bowled me over was  "Worlds 2012 Nice R&J1"

It came up as a recommendation on You Tube, and i just clicked on it.. and that was it!! 

That program was just so powerful and completely took my breath away, and then once I saw Let's go Crazy, I realised what a sexy man he became!!  I'm a huge fan of the white LGC costume from Skate Canada!! 

Glad to have discovered this great community!! 

Sorry but there is no help for this condition, you just learn how to live with it by adjusting your sleep cycle to match competition times and buying extra hard drives to keep all the videos safe from copyright claims.

My advice, enjoy the honeymoon period you are experiencing now because what comes next is a lot of waiting for news, anger and frustration at the judges and hours spent studying the rule book, with only short bursts of pure delight when Yuzu makes an appearance or gives us a new performance to obsess over (which is totally worth it) :68556365:

Welcome to the madness :sign0016:

2 minutes ago, Freyuru said:

That program was just so powerful and completely took my breath away, and then once I saw Let's go Crazy, I realised what a sexy man he became!!  I'm a huge fan of the white LGC costume from Skate Canada!! 

knew LGC had to be in there somewhere! The Purple Pants of Sin never fail! 

R&J1 is another good one though.

Well I am surprised to say that no one guessed the right answer. But the program which caught my attention and just bowled me over was  "Worlds 2012 Nice R&J1"

It came up as a recommendation on You Tube, and i just clicked on it.. and that was it!! 

Wonderful choice to fall in love with him! So it was waaaaay back and not a recent progam like I'd thought. And you like White LGC too, c'mere :10742289:

OMG haha you see if 2012 Romeo could make you this helpless, it's no point of return for all of us who got hit by his Olympic perfs (not to say Romeo was by any mean a downgrade bc it was one of my favorites) And oooohh hi five for the unpopular opinion bc i love white LGC

1 minute ago, makebelieveup said:

2 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

And oooohh hi five for the unpopular opinion bc i love white LGC

Hey! It's not like I discriminate! I like white LGC too. It just makes me sad because I could have seen it in person, if I had only realized my fanyu destiny in time...:(

6 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Hey! It's not like I discriminate! I like white LGC too. It just makes me sad because I could have seen it in person, if I had only realized my fanyu destiny in time...:(

LOL I feel bad realizing you could have seen him at Skate Canada!! tho I am worse bc even after I stanned him I couldnt go to ACI this season :sorrow:

I took the time to rewatch the NHK documentary with English subs and stopped at these words from Dick Button:

Button: "The skaters in this era don't have enough spirit to change the skating world. Bound by narrow rules and scoring, there are really no skaters who want to try new techniques."

Narrator: "Hanyu is different. Starting with the quadruple Loop, he was the first in the world to perform many new techniques."

I think the narrator misunderstood Dick here. The quad Loop was indeed a new jump, but still something within these "narrow rules". An additional quad increases your base value and gives you more options to create your jump layout. So it's worth (in points) to go for it.

What Dick meant is something more rebellious I think. Completely new stuff that doesn't earn you many additional points in the current system or puts you even in disadvantage, but wins the heart of the audience and has the potential to change the skating world. Back in Dick's days big jumps and fast, well centered spins were something risky and really revolutionary. It changed the entire landscape of figure skating and laid the path for today's competitive format.

In Yuzu's case there are some similar things like that:

• I think we can call him the pioneer of difficult and continuous transition work. Although you can earn high GOE for jumps with little steps and a lot of preparation as well, he prefers to go the more difficult way and melt all his elements into the choreo. Sure, he's not the only skater to do that nowadays, but he's the first who comes to my mind, whenever I think of "steps before jumps".
  • The 4T+3A sequence is punished with a -20% reduction of its base value, but he goes for it, because it's cool and impressive. I can imagine that ISU will cancel this stupid rule after Yuzu's retirement and sequences will be popular alternatives to combination jumps in the future.
  • At ACI this season Yuzu was asked, why he didn't put his SP combo into to the second half and he answered:
    "Because it fits the music better." I was really proud to be a fanyu that day. Same with the legendary backward crossrolls in Seimei. I really loved them even though they were not considered as "difficult steps" at that point... Shame that he was forced to drop them for his StSq LV...
  • This is not really a technical thing, but it's cool that Yuzu's costume styles somehow break with gender stereotypes and are created with a lot of thought for a specific program. It doesn't matter which costume of Yuzu I see. I know immediately: Oh! It's POTO! Seimei! Origin! I was impressed, when Yuzu said that he doesn't like to change costumes for a specific program, because they belong together. It's part of the interpretation. Aye! :agree:
  • Finally what makes Yuzu really extra and innovative to me:
    He's not only a skater, he's a creator as well. He chooses and designs his programs himself now with a story, a motive and a message. His care for details in the music cut, the choreo, the costume and the global concept is something unique. He's like an actor and executive producer in one person. That's why his programs appear so natural and authentic. They're his babies and you can feel it:10742289:
5 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I took the time to rewatch the NHK documentary with English subs and stopped at these words from Dick Button:

I think the narrator misunderstood Dick here. The quad Loop was indeed a new jump, but still something within these "narrow rules". An additional quad increases your base value and gives you more options to create your jump layout. So it's worth (in points) to go for it.

What Dick meant is something more rebellious I think. Completely new stuff that doesn't earn you many additional points in the current system or puts you even in disadvantage, but wins the heart of the audience and has the potential to change the skating world. Back in Dick's days big jumps and fast, well centered spins were something risky and really revolutionary. It changed the entire landscape of figure skating and laid the path for today's competitive format.

In Yuzu's case there are some similar things like that:

• I think we can call him the pioneer of difficult and continuous transition work. Although you can earn high GOE for jumps with little steps and a lot of preparation as well, he prefers to go the more difficult way and melt all his elements into the choreo. Sure, he's not the only skater to do that nowadays, but he's the first who comes to my mind, whenever I think of "steps before jumps".
  • The 4T+3A sequence is punished with a -20% reduction of its base value, but he goes for it, because it's cool and impressive. I can imagine that ISU will cancel this stupid rule after Yuzu's retirement and sequences will be popular alternatives to combination jumps in the future.
  • At ACI this season Yuzu was asked, why he didn't put his SP combo into to the second half and he answered: "Because it fits the music better." I was really proud to be a fanyu that day. Same with the legendary backward crossrolls in Seimei. I really loved them even though they were not considered as "difficult steps" at that point... Shame that he was forced to drop them for his StSq LV...
  • This is not really a technical thing, but it's cool that Yuzu's costume styles somehow break with gender stereotypes and are created with a lot of thought for a specific program. It doesn't matter which costume of Yuzu I see. I know immediately: Oh! It's POTO! Seimei! Origin! I was impressed, when Yuzu said that he doesn't like to change costumes for a specific program, because they belong together. It's part of the interpretation. Aye! :agree:
  • Finally what makes Yuzu special and innovative to me: he's not only a skater, he's a creator as well. He chooses and designs his programs himself now with a story, a motive and a message. His care for details in the music cut, the choreo, the costume and the global concept is something unique. He's like an actor and executive producer in one person. That's why his programs appear so natural and authentic. They're his babies and you can feel it:10742289:

I really agree with you on that! I also felt that it was either their misunderstanding of Dick's words, or just their way of listing Yuzu's achievements. Putting hard elements into his programs with transitions in and out, doing them with great quality and attention to details, caring about the big picture and how the elements match the music instead of solely focusing on the points, I think those things are definitely proofs that Yuzu's not binded by the narrow rules of the current system :3