General Yuzuru Chat

9 hours ago, Moria Polonius said:

Re: Brian's spinning

They also implied that Yuzu was fine when he was wasn't.. :cry: How can trust any word concerning Yuzu's condition coming out Brian's mouth? I'm afraid of getting my hopes up too much, no matter whether Brian's trying to spin Yuzu's condition as better or worse than he really is.

Whenever I hear Yuzu/Brian say he's fine, I don't trust him at all, BUT, if Pyeongchang taught us anything, it's that he can pull out a winning performance even in a disadvantageous condition. On such a big stage as the Olympics or Worlds, it often boils down to who is the strongest mentally, and Yuzu has that. Yuzu said it himself "it's because I am weak that I can become stronger." He loves the adversity, in fact, putting himself in the "underdog"" position is often what makes him stronger (think of the GPF Barcelona FS situation!)

Now, all we can do is support him & believe in him. He strongly believes that he is able to get strength from all of us, so that is the best we can do :satellite:

3 hours ago, yuzupon said:

and @Old Cat Lady

That's why it's a comparison... I find it hard to believe that his 4S will be of less length (and height-the twitter thread counted the height of the jump at 77+cm) than his 3A. I don't really know how Ice Scope works as well (is this the work of Ice Scope even?), but from the picture, it looks like the camera angle is slightly slanted. 

The thing is, if you are talking about  comparing accuracy(: closeness of the measuring instrument's result to the actual measurand value — in this case, Yuzu's jump), you can't even compare two different measuring systems (at least that's what I see here with the Dataman and the twitter measurement — can anyone check if the measurement system is really identical?). If you are comparing two different measurement systems, then what you do is measure one thing (which has known value(: in this case Yuzu's jump distance)) with those two different systems and compare which one has the closest result to the known value.

Yes, it is a comparison, those two instances, but don't call it accuracy comparison, because accuracy comparison doesn't work that way.

Sorry for being pedantic, but as someone who learned measurement theory during undergrad and grad study I felt the need to point that out. Also, for what its worth, both measurement instances could be both accurate or inaccurate, there's no telling — we don't know the exact distance or height from those moments.

As for the 4S size being smaller than 3A, it's pretty plausible to me, since the energy needed for the rotation of a quad is "taking" more on the energy needed for the translational jump, and this is the norm across all skaters. So yeah, if you see someone's jump got even bigger as they add one more rotation, you are looking at a unicorn...

5 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

The thing is, if you are talking about  comparing accuracy(: closeness of the measuring instrument's result to the actual measurand value — in this case, Yuzu's jump), you can't even compare two different measuring systems (at least that's what I see here with the Dataman and the twitter measurement — can anyone check if the measurement system is really identical?). If you are comparing two different measurement systems, then what you do is measure one thing (which has known value(: in this case Yuzu's jump distance)) with those two different systems and compare which one has the closest result to the known value.

Yes, it is a comparison, those two instances, but don't call it accuracy comparison, because accuracy comparison doesn't work that way.

Sorry for being pedantic, but as someone who learned measurement theory during undergrad and grad study I felt the need to point that out. Also, for what its worth, both measurement instances could be both accurate or inaccurate, there's no telling — we don't know the exact distance or height from those moments.

You are indeed being pedantic, which is fine.

Notice that I never claim the one I posted was accurate either? Or that I never call it an 'accuracy comparison'? Yeah. 

My point of posting it was so that people can have different information to think about; not just the one seemingly 'official'. Part of it because I am anticipating cooked up comparisons of his jumps to those of certain other skaters, like they attempted last year.

Edited to add:

5 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

As for the 4S size being smaller than 3A, it's pretty plausible to me, since the energy needed for the rotation of a quad is "taking" more on the energy needed for the translational jump, and this is the norm across all skaters. So yeah, if you see someone's jump got even bigger as they add one more rotation, you are looking at a unicorn...

Hmm... I sure hope this is only plausible for quads and triples. Cz for triples and doubles, if this is also true, that'd be pretty sad.

That said, I would still think that the size of the jumps as you add more rotation have to be somewhat bigger (longer across and higher), with the exception of skaters who rely on rotational speed alone. You either rotate faster or jump bigger. 

I concede that for the axel jumps, there are all possibilities that it could be as big or even bigger than the one-more-rotation version of the other types (2A vs non-axel triples, 3A vs non-axel quads).

I might not know anything tho. I only studied applied math and I sure as hell didn't compute these things.

19 hours ago, SuperMin said:

Celebrate 1 yr anniversary of arrival and ultimate Trollzuru.

What's even funnier, is that he legit used SE entry to some of those jumps, then ended up floating away just like that :darklordyuzu:

I-Scope data by Fuji TV

4CC 3A (single jump ) 

Name   GOE Height (m) Distance(m) Landing Speed(km)

Keiji

SP +1.37 0.59 2.92 11.0
  FP +1.03 0.63 2.75 19.8
Shoma SP +2.97 0.55 3.37 20.7
  FP +2.63 0.53 3.14 19.6
Keegan SP -0.23 0.62 2.99 19.0
  FP +0.80 0.57 2.92 24.0
Jason SP No data      
  FP -1.71(<) 0.54 2.06 15.8
Vincent SP +1.71 0.58 2.53 19.9
  FP +2.06 0.50 2.54 16.0
Jun SP +2.06 0.54 2.51 21.1
  FP -0.43(<) 0.62 2.77 15.6
Boyang SP +2.29 0.56 2.40 19.2
  FP +2.40 0.51 2.45 17.5
Rika FP +2.51 0.54 2.70 10.58

If you find any error in numbers pls let me know. 

My take is that high/ long/fast don't always produce great GOE. Cant wait for Yuzu's perfect 3A at WC.

BTW this is my first post.  I am a chronic lurker but been here since the genesis of this site. All hail to the Admin!!

It's ready!! My preview clip for Worlds in Saitama!!  :cri:

#Sidenote: This video was originally intended to be a preview for the Grand Prix Final in Vancouver, but right after Yuzu's injury at Rostelecom and his likely withdrawal I just couldn't bring it over my heart to cut him out... So I decided to recycle the old material and add some new touches like the profile pics.
4CC turned a few things upside down this weekend, but I hope it was worth the long wait :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

7 hours ago, VyVy99 said:

What's even funnier, is that he legit used SE entry to some of those jumps, then ended up floating away just like that :darklordyuzu:

Troll, troll again Yuzu till the last moment ... even the entry made us believe !

AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SKATING PORTAL ! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:  I wish it a long reign :img_21:

Hey guys, @yuzuangel will be making an official post about our website launch here later today  but here is a new figure skating website we recently created! If you guys are interested in rewatching the men's SP and ladies' SP & FS, it's up on our website thanks to @LadyLou who shared the 4cc videos. We also have a lot of 2018/2019 competitions as well as other competitions prior to this season in different broadcasts/commentaries. Olympics, CWW, Eng subs that are taken down, Worlds... you name it. Hope you guys enjoy!

SkatingPortal.com

We're currently a work in progress. Lots of bugs and login issues. But that's what we need you guys for so please help us test it out. 

p.s. if you guys want to rant about figure skating, we have a thread for it lol

Something to water our cactus, hopefully. 

3 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

Am I bad to already be fantasizing about a jump battle between Rika and Yuzu at the WC gala?

:hihi:

Who can do the most 3A's in a row!  But the organizers are probably going to be party-poopers and try to hustle the skaters off the ice before anything fun can happen...seems to be a bit of a theme this year...

8 hours ago, cronkite said:

I-Scope data by Fuji TV

4CC 3A (single jump ) 

Name   GOE Height (m) Distance(m) Landing Speed(km)

Keiji

SP +1.37 0.59 2.92 11.0
  FP +1.03 0.63 2.75 19.8
Shoma SP +2.97 0.55 3.37 20.7
  FP +2.63 0.53 3.14 19.6
Keegan SP -0.23 0.62 2.99 19.0
  FP +0.80 0.57 2.92 24.0
Jason SP No data      
  FP -1.71(<) 0.54 2.06 15.8
Vincent SP +1.71 0.58 2.53 19.9
  FP +2.06 0.50 2.54 16.0
Jun SP +2.06 0.54 2.51 21.1
  FP -0.43(<) 0.62 2.77 15.6
Boyang SP +2.29 0.56 2.40 19.2
  FP +2.40 0.51 2.45 17.5
Rika FP +2.51 0.54 2.70 10.58

If you find any error in numbers pls let me know. 

My take is that high/ long/fast don't always produce great GOE. Cant wait for Yuzu's perfect 3A at WC.

BTW this is my first post.  I am a chronic lurker but been here since the genesis of this site. All hail to the Admin!!

The one thing that really stands out is the length of Shoma's 3A compared to the others....besides that, the data looks like it's all over the place...no real correlations between, say length & speed or height & length  or GOE to any of them. 

I'd be curious to see a longitudinal study of jump data for one skater over a full season or two, to see how reproducible their results are (i.e. are jumps actually 'consistent'). Because at the moment, what I see in this data is that each and every last jump by each skater is a unicorn. None of them is like any of the others.