General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, Katt said:

Agreed :grouphug: His 3A is so special and I wish it would be perfect at WC. Let's hope he would find the way to do 4A and 3A perfectly at the same time ^^

I think he'll figure out a way. 

Also, wasn't it Helsinki where Yuzu said something about the ice being not so great for edge jumps? And he had to fine-tune a bit of his entry speed to compensate for his opening 4Loop? While I'm sure Yuzu never gives himself excuses, sadly edge jumps are impacted by ice quality, and considering that twizzles are done on a flat edge, his 3A take off would be impacted, which would impact his landing. 

4 hours ago, Xen said:

I think he'll figure out a way. 

Also, wasn't it Helsinki where Yuzu said something about the ice being not so great for edge jumps? And he had to fine-tune a bit of his entry speed to compensate for his opening 4Loop? While I'm sure Yuzu never gives himself excuses, sadly edge jumps are impacted by ice quality, and considering that twizzles are done on a flat edge, his 3A take off would be impacted, which would impact his landing. 

I rewatched Helsinki recently with the ita esp. It was obvious that there were troublesome ice conditions, and in fact Yuzuru was probably the only man left standing without even a fall at the end of the LP. But all of his jumps lacked the usual height, because of ice conditions. 
In the case of COR LP, his ankle was bad so it cannot be judged. In the case of the SP, this season was by far the best early season out of all his years as a senior, because he never once fell on a jump. He was clean all 3 times he skated. In the past, he usually nailed the 3A because he messed up the quads, so he put extra-focus on the 3A. 

I would say, on the contrary, that his 3A has become more beautiful, because it's become bigger and tighter. But this is just my opinion.

EVEN IF 3A could have been influenced by 4A training. Even if it objectively was (which is not 100% sure), I'm sorry but... what gives? We're talking about 4A here. Yuzuru would gladly give up some of his 3A's perfection if it meant jumping a perfect 4A. I love 3A as much as the next person, but Yuzuru always wants to progress in the sport and jump new things, and 4A in particular has always been his dream. So I don't really understand people hoping that he doesn't mess with his 3A. Please Yuzuru, mess with your 3A as you want. It's all part of the learning process, and I think supporting Yuzuru as a sportsman also means understanding his vision of the sport, or trying to. He will never give up training the 4A because there is a risk of losing consistency in his 3A. And he shouldn't. 

14 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I rewatched Helsinki recently with the ita esp. It was obvious that there were troublesome ice conditions, and in fact Yuzuru was probably the only man left standing without even a fall at the end of the LP. But all of his jumps lacked the usual height, because of ice conditions. 
In the case of COR LP, his ankle was bad so it cannot be judged. In the case of the SP, this season was by far the best early season out of all his years as a senior, because he never once fell on a jump. He was clean all 3 times he skated. In the past, he usually nailed the 3A because he messed up the quads, so he put extra-focus on the 3A. 

I would say, on the contrary, that his 3A has become more beautiful, because it's become bigger and tighter. But this is just my opinion.

EVEN IF 3A could have been influenced by 4A training. Even if it objectively was (which is not 100% sure), I'm sorry but... what gives? We're talking about 4A here. Yuzuru would gladly give up some of his 3A's perfection if it meant jumping a perfect 4A. I love 3A as much as the next person, but Yuzuru always wants to progress in the sport and jump new things, and 4A in particular has always been his dream. So I don't really understand people hoping that he doesn't mess with his 3A. Please Yuzuru, mess with your 3A as you want. It's all part of the learning process, and I think supporting Yuzuru as a sportsman also means understanding his vision of the sport, or trying to. He will never give up training the 4A because there is a risk of losing consistency in his 3A. And he shouldn't. 

But I know that more than anyone it is Yuzuru who doesn't want to mess up his 3A ( and other jumps ofc). First he is such a perfectionist. Second, I don't believe he is willing to sacrifice any jumps for 4A. He wants all. 

24 minutes ago, wpisces said:

But I know that more than anyone it is Yuzuru who doesn't want to mess up his 3A ( and other jumps ofc). First he is such a perfectionist. Second, I don't believe he is willing to sacrifice any jumps for 4A. He wants all. 

Temporarily messing up the tempo of his 3A (which he is still landing btw, I think you are worrying too much without objective basis of concern) will not compromise his mission to land a +GOE 4A. And then of course practicing 4A will not stop him from practicing 3A.

One thing is competition and another is practice. Plenty of people here already told you that his 3A's in practice were perfect. So I don't think overall he's messing it up at all. 

Yeah, I definitely understand the concern about his 3A (I mean, just look at my username!), but the men's comps have by and large been disasters this season. The ice quality was definitely off in Helsinki, not sure about Russia. And probably the main thing is that the FS has been shortened by 30 seconds, and... they're not adjusting as fast as they'd like, it seems. I never agreed with that change to begin with, but given how some of my other favorites have been doing with it, I'm very, very grateful for just a few shaky 3As from Yuzu. (Hey, ISU, if you're reading this, give the men those 30 seconds back, please!!)

So I went for my first skate of the year yesterday, and decided to spend a bit of it trying out Yuzu moves (mostly just wanted to see if i could get into an Ina Bauer w/o falling on my butt). Reaffirmed: Everything he does on the ice is much, much more difficult than it looks. Also reaffirmed:  @rockstaryuzu still can't skate backwards to save her life. 

:dontdothistome:

...but maybe one day I'll be able to do his edge exercises, as long as I stick to the right forward inside edge...:space:

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So I went for my first skate of the year yesterday, and decided to spend a bit of it trying out Yuzu moves (mostly just wanted to see if i could get into an Ina Bauer w/o falling on my butt). Reaffirmed: Everything he does on the ice is much, much more difficult than it looks. Also reaffirmed:  @rockstaryuzu still can't skate backwards to save her life. 

:dontdothistome:

...but maybe one day I'll be able to do his edge exercises, as long as I stick to the right forward inside edge...:space:

good luck with your skating !

2 weeks ago I went Ice skating for the first time in almost 15 years and it was a disaster! As a kid I was able to skate forwards, backwards and do turn but this time I was slowly skating (or trying to skate) while holding the border but I did not fall !

52 minutes ago, Sabrina said:

good luck with your skating !

2 weeks ago I went Ice skating for the first time in almost 15 years and it was a disaster! As a kid I was able to skate forwards, backwards and do turn but this time I was slowly skating (or trying to skate) while holding the border but I did not fall !

Thanks! And go you! Yay for not falling. :1497158260_5GOE:

Hace 18 horas, MeowZu said:

Imagine the possibilities. Many will be left dead in a ditch somewhere if he wears his hair like this for SP and LP next season.

YES. I'm gonna start a petition for him to recycle LGC and Origin next year. :snonegai:I'd give him both my ankles and knees for a clean performance of LGC   :PurpleBanana:

On 1/12/2019 at 9:14 PM, KatjaThera said:

I agree that Origin was created with 4A in mind. He obviously wanted to do it this season, but the injury set him back. In fact, in that interview, he seemed much surer about wanting 4A than he did about 4T-3A (that was "I want to do it, but..."). Probably, that was less because of technical issues - we know he can do it - and more because of the sequence thing. I also tend to doubt other skaters couldn't do it, it's just not worth it. It was probably his wanting to do cool stuff at war with his wanting to maximize points. But 4A was definitely in plan, IMO.

On the other hand, I also agree that he might not want to end his career with tribute programs... Origin is also a lot of himself, though, so it'd make sense... maybe. I'd also be greatly in favor of LGC return. I think it's the only program he has serious unfinished business with. But if he doesn't want to end it without new programs... then maybe another season? To fully perfect 4A? and maybe do some more crazy stuff? But then that's just one more season to the Olympics lol Well, I'm sure he'll take it one step at a time and we'll see.

I do wonder just how far along has he been with 4A if he's aiming for clean with 4A over just one season. It usually took him longer to stabilize a new quad and this is 4A. 4Lo did behave eventually, but since last year it went unstable again and now it's kind of on and off (in practice, I mean, though some of those might have been ice condition). 4Lz never got the chance and 4S took a long time. 4T I think also had moments of brilliance as well as moments where it went AWOL. So, if he seriously thinks he can do clean, 4A performances by Finals and Nationals next season, I think 4A has to be much further along than a lot of people think... (Also, he didn't say anything about Worlds next season... it might be the only competition I could realistically attend, so I was paying close attention... :2:)

But going back to the programs, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what we think or want and it also doesn't matter what the judges think or want. Yuzu will do what Yuzu thinks is best. And 99% of the time, he's right, so... *shrugs* But as long as he's happy and satisfied with his choices, nothing else matters.

About Origin itself, it still confuses me a bit at times, if I try to think about it. If I just enjoy it, without thinking too much, it's amazing. Live, it's stunning. And I don't know if I'd call it problematic. Seeing Helsinki Origin live, I thought it was mind blowing. Seeing it on video afterwards, it was: "Wow... that's actually a lot of mistakes..." lol And still, it's the best free program score so far. With quite a few big mistakes, still the best score. Admittedly, not by much. But a perfect Origin will probably make a big impact. Remember, the judges - and actually quite a few fans, too, at first - didn't like H&L either, and, despite underscoring, that's still in the history books now, as the best free program score under the previous system. So, as far as that stuff goes, I'll just trust Yuzu to know better. Everything else is just a matter of taste, IMO.

Very well said! I'm a big sucker for H&L actually. Nothing can still quite top it. But Seimei is so damn close behind along with Origin. Since there are too much memorable track with Seimei, at the moment it's higher on the list. But I believe Origin will be mind blowing when it's perfected.

On 1/13/2019 at 3:20 AM, wpisces said:

I have to dissagree, it did affect his 3A. The mistakes he made on 3A is mostly because he can't control the height and distance of jump ( either much higher than necessary ( mostly in SP) or smaller( mostly in FS)) which resulted in not good air position, off axis on landing, UR... I know some gushed over how high his 3A was  this season but it's not good. There is a reason why big jumpers have to learn to control the height they get on jumps. It seems the sense, the rhythm of jumping 3A got affected. I guess he only trained 4A seriously until last off-season so it affected his 3A more than last seasons. 

I think practice an additional revolution will bound to effect his 3A by some level but so far I don't think it's considerable. It's a tiny bit shaky but still well in his control. Yuzu knows his best jump and I'm sure he's remembered the feeling of 3A for the most of his skating career. After he's got a better grip on 4A his 3A will probably be settled too.