General Yuzuru Chat

Would it be bad luck to have a countdown clock to worlds? I know internally we are all feeling it, just not sure if it will make the wait longer to actually see it ticking. 

Thanks to everyone posting memorable 2018 moments.  Agree - an incredible year of highs and lows.  

A big big thanks to Planet Hanyu to help us through the ups and downs, but more specifically the drought! 

:hugs::10742289::drinks:

2 hours ago, Victoria said:

Lol yuzu's legendary troll practice 

This until now I want to know what was in his mind?

Did he not want people analyzing him this early?

Was he giving him the vibes that yeah go complacent people and I am just gonna shock you later?

Or was he jus simply going, come on guess what I have for all of you today?:kitty:

3 minutes ago, Ashley2162018 said:

Was he giving him the vibes that yeah go complacent people and I am just gonna shock you later?

Or was he jus simply going, come on guess what I have for all of you today?:kitty:

According to the interview Brian gave about this, it was pure strategy - they didn't want to reveal what Yuzu could do too soon, partly to psych out the other competitors. And I have to say, it was a stroke of genius. 

47 minutes ago, Ashley2162018 said:

Yuzu explains it himself in this video (which is excellent by the way) at 11:00.  All I can say is - it was all part of his calculation.

:gla:

Aaaaahhhh someone will be kuyashii about Boyangman. Hahahahaha. But it'll be a not so intense kuyashii because it's his fave boy Boyang.

So proud of Boyang though. The moment he missed out on GPF, some wrote him off already (some FS fans really like writing off people, eh?). If anything, he should be the one to watch out for in Beijing 2022.

I think it’s way too early to discuss contenders for Beijing 2022.  There are current seniors (Nathan, Shoma, Boyang) and up and coming juniors ( I have my eye on you- Shun Sato from Sendai with the panda tissue box).

Looking back at 2014 Sochi, Yuzu was not really considered a contender to Patrick Chan until 2013.  Plus who knows about Yuzu.  Maybe JSF will let him pull a Plushenko and compete in a couple competitions, get seasons best, qualify for worlds and Olympics? 

Not that we expect that, but would be nice to see him compete as long as we can even if it’s a couple times a year.

We all know, kuyashii- he’ll only do it if he knows he’ll get GOLD- that he can actually smell!:hachimaki:

Patrick has come a long way.  I’m glad he can be objective about Yuzu.  

How do you think who will successfully jump the quad axel in competition first? Срen or Hanyu?

– I’m pretty sure it will be Yuzuru.

Why?

– Because he has the best triple axel I’ve ever seen. With eass and without a shadow of effort. Hanyu is able to rotate very quickly, and I would say that he came as close as possible to adding one more turn to the triple axel. Chen is very good at jumping the quad lutz, but I would not call axel his strong jump. Are there any other contenders? Maybe Shoma Uno. Maybe there will be someone completely unexpected – Keegan Messing, for example. He is very explosive, with huge jumps. But for some reason it seems to me that Hanyu will not allow anyone to get ahead of him.

Fill article:  https://fs-gossips.com/patrick-chan-a-man-cannot-do-badly-what-he-truly-loves/

1 hour ago, TallyT said:

I would LOVE to see Boyang OGM in Beijing, or at least medal... though as with the others, it's way too early for any of them to even think about it IMO - of it they do, they need to also remember how Patrick Chan looked at the end of 2010.....

Well, I don't think it's too early for the athletes to set goals and plan if they want to go to Beijing. But it's a fool's game to make any predictions. I mean seven weeks ago I was predicting Yuzu to win GPF...and then look what happened. Four years is a long time, and anything can happen. I can say one thing for certain - there's going to be a very strong, and probably pretty large, men's field chasing gold in Beijing.  And that's really all that can be said. 

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Well, I don't think it's too early for the athletes to set goals and plan if they want to go to Beijing. But it's a fool's game to make any predictions. I mean seven weeks ago I was predicting Yuzu to win GPF...and then look what happened. Four years is a long time, and anything can happen. I can say one thing for certain - there's going to be a very strong, and probably pretty large, men's field chasing gold in Beijing.  And that's really all that can be said. 

I totally agree about predictions - as they say, ice is slippery - but as far as athletes go, I believe they should set goals and plan.

I still firmly believe one of the reasons why Yuzu won both his medals is because he set them - and especially Pyeongchang, which was his main goal since he was a kid; initially, the plan was to be picked to attend Sochi and do well, then win Pyeongchang, before he realized winning Sochi was possible, too - as his goals and virtually every decision he made afterwards was taken with these goals in mind. He never thought "Oh, I'll just learn 4T and then see what happens" or "I'll add a 4S as well and we'll see" or "I'll go to Canada and then take it from there". I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even plan his ascension to seniors to be in the post-Olympic season, to literally give himself an Olympic cycle to learn and get to the appropriate level. (I remember watching his Time of Awakening DVD was a bit eye opening on the step by step towards getting picked for the Olympic Team. Which in a way is surreal, because it shows that he wasn't actually 100% sure he would get it until he did, even though by then he was already the top Japanese male skater.) But anyway, this overall attitude, while perhaps it created a bit of tunnel vision (thinking a bit about what Patrick said about medals in that interview, too... ) and made him reckless at times, I'm sure was essential to his successes.

On the other hand, most other skaters didn't have this. Everything with Shoma seems more like: you just do your best and we'll see what happens. And his best is really good most of the time, but he never seemed to really have a direction. Except maybe a general Yuzu-way direction (to sort of paraphrase POTC). Where Yuzu went, they also pushed Shoma, sort of thing. Javi didn't really believe he could do it until he won his two titles and by then it was a bit late to properly aim for it, but he did aim for a medal and he got that, so I guess it did work, to some extent. And Nathan has seemed to wing it as well, though that's partly because of how young he is. He came into seniors just before the Olympics, so normally there would have been no chance. But then at some point they realized with all his quads, he actually stood a chance and started pushing him towards it, but I'm not sure how confident he was in it. He seems like a pretty realistic guy, who never got carried away by the hype surrounding him. And now, for Beijing... a new Olympic cycle has begun, one season is almost finished, but he's apparently still not clear if he is going to Beijing or not. So I have my doubts that he'd win there, even if he does decide to go, unless he decides faster.

Boyang does seem to be aiming for Beijing, he started with the jumps, made a name for himself, then started working on the rest. Reputation-wise, he's definitely in the worst place, but if he really works hard and improves well, I believe he has a chance. The question remains just how serious he is about it. The whole TCC-no-TCC thing this Summer has really put a damper on it. Of course, we still don't know what happened, but whatever happened, IMO, it's not a good sign. If the federation stopped it, then the federation might end up holding him back from truly fulfilling his potential. If it was his own decision - as I remember there were some rumors, that he didn't want to leave home - then it might mean he's not ready to make sacrifices and that might again, limit how far he can go. As Yuzu very clearly said it, you can't succeed without making big sacrifices.

So, looking at the current top contenders from a 'we know how Yuzu did it' perspective, none of them really fit the bill.

As for the juniors, it takes a bit of madness to be in your early teens and decide you are going to win the Olympic Medal and actually be serious about it. Because being serious and just bravado are different things entirely. Bravado is about being cocky and confident and thinking you're better than all the others. Being serious about it is about being ready to work your butt off to be better than everyone else and make whatever sacrifices necessary to get there. I wonder how many teens are ready for such a commitment - especially now when the competitors keep getting younger and younger...

(And sorry for the length and also if it seems OT, but as it's all done by comparison to Yuzu, I think it shouldn't be that OT... I always find this topic fascinating, personally ^_^; )