General Yuzuru Chat

Just now, Hydroblade said:

:rofl:we're trained to look for details other than his face

Looking at only the face though, he has more fat in his face in picture #1 and ////I think//// he has more fat now than before? (At least in his face? :laughing:)

Just now, lily said:

Looking at only the face though, he has more fat in his face in picture #1 and ////I think//// he has more fat now than before? (At least in his face? :laughing:)

Yes I was just thinking about that! His face was slimmer when he was younger

15 minutes ago, lily said:

I think his cheeks were actually rounder when he was younger. If you compare Junior Worlds 2010, Worlds 2012, Sochi 2014, GPF 2015, and Worlds 2017, I get the impression as he gets older his face features get sharper, thus less round cheeks overtime. However, this is only apparent when he wears his costume or when he competes. I cannot really tell during his interviews or when he wears casual clothes / suits. 

What am I doing analyzing his cheeks' volume  :embSwan:

Brian Orser Interview (Ice Jewels Vol. 6, May 2017)

2 minutes ago, gladi said:

I think everyone––fans, media, and officials––came to understand that program for the first time that day. The choreography was such that the program falls flat when there are mistakes. Even I myself have wondered whether that was a suitable piece for him. But I think Yuzu knew. ––– Brian Orser, Ice Jewels Vol. 06 

Just a short one. This interview with Brian Orser was part of Ice Jewels’ 2017 World Championships report. Yuzuru-related parts translated. Translated by gladi, feel free to repost with credits.

=======================================

Brian Orser

“Yuzuru’s free skate was perfect”

Three days after the World Championships ended in Helsinki, Yuzuru Hanyu’s coach, Brian Orser, agreed to an interview in New York. (Report by Akiko Tamura) 

-------------------------------------

–––    Congratulations on Yuzuru Hanyu’s victory. This is the fourth year in a row that one of your students has won the world title.

BO    It seems that way. 2014 was Yuzu (Yuzuru Hanyu), 2015 was Javi (Javier Fernandez), 2016 was Javi as well, and 2017 was Yuzu. But it felt special this year. Short program was Javi’s day and he gave an incredible performance. And for the free skate, this time it was Yuzu who showed us a perfect performance. 

–––    After the Four Continents Championships, what training did you arrange for Hanyu-senshu?

BO    We did the basic conditioning that we’ve always done. As you know, especially this season, he had been focusing on the quads, and sometimes he ended up overthinking. Personality-wise, he hates that he cannot always be perfect. But he (came to understand/understood) that he can also go around/ and take a detour before finally arriving at [perfection]. The simple training that I’ve done with Javi, I also had Yuzu do this season. And then, headed towards Worlds’, he was actually in the best form right now, the best he has ever been in the 5 years he’s been with us. Wasn’t sick, wasn’t injured. Really the best condition he has ever been! (t/n Brian really wanted to emphasize this) 

–––    The pressure that he is feeling––is it coming from around him, or is it coming from himself? 

BO    I think himself. Of course, expectations from fans and all around do turn into pressure. But that is a given as a top athlete and it doesn’t go away even if you say you hate it. Such responsibility follows people who are in a position of high expectations. Since he came to my place when he was 18, he’s grown as a person and become an adult. He’s also come to understand this sport even more. I’m very proud of him for that. 

–––    After the SP, any special discussions, or…? 

BO    No, nothing in particular. I didn’t think the content [of the performance] was that bad. There were no problems with the quad salchow in practice. Sometimes fans send complaint letters to me and ask questions like, “Why did you have him do the quad salchow?” But I am seeing it routinely and I know he can do it. Why he failed, I don’t quite know. Even I myself don’t have answers to everything. 

–––    I heard you weren’t in favor of adding the 4Lo in the beginning of the season. I think Hanyu-senshu [went through] many trying competitions this season. 

Last autumn (t/n after Skate Canada, Brian and Yuzu had a sit-down discussion with the entire team), he said to me, “The quad loop is necessary for the Olympic season, but it will take time for that reason.” When he said that to me, I was able to understand his way of thinking. Especially when he began to stabilize and land [the quad loop] in competition, what he was aiming for came to take form. If he returned to last year’s content, it would have been easy for him to win with no mistakes, wouldn’t it? To begin with, the reason why he did the Loop jump was so he wouldn’t exacerbate the injury in his foot. But now he has no injuries and everything went really well. He broke a new world record and reclaimed his world title. 

–––    In the end, he gave [us all] a perfect free skate. 

BO    I’ve reviewed the footage again as well after returning to Toronto, it was a perfect performance. I’ve said the same to him at the Kiss and Cry too. All the jumps were perfect and effortlessly landed, the choreography, the spins, the steps… there were no faults to be found anywhere. I think everyone––fans, media, and officials––came to understand that program for the first time that day. The choreography was such that the program falls flat when there are mistakes. Even I myself have wondered whether that was a suitable piece for him. But I think Yuzu knew. 

–––    What do you think will happen to the men in this furious battle of quads? 

BO    It’s a question I’ve been asked a lot lately. [Figure skating] is a sport, so the progress in technique is a very exciting thing. But on the one hand, we must be mindful of injuries and so forth. I am hoping that skaters could have a long competitive career. And that as many of my students as possible can become athletes who can still give great performances when they are 26 like Javi. As a coach, I must work out strategies so that athletes can improve in their technique while maintaining their health. 

–––    Lastly, is it a source of pressure for Hanyu-senshu to go into the Olympics as the reigning champion? 

BO    No, I don’t think so. I think he is in the most ideal position for himself right now. 

Thank uuu @gladi for another amazing translation :agree:

That quad loop is indeed the best decision Yuzu has ever made! And to think it was originally for his foot injury prevention (according to Brian above), that quad loop has really come a long way.

Just wondering, is Yuzu's blood type A? His known character just sounds like it :think:

16 hours ago, b138oo said:

Thank uuu @gladi for another amazing translation :agree:

That quad loop is indeed the best decision Yuzu has ever made! And to think it was originally for his foot injury prevention (according to Brian above), that quad loop has really come a long way.

Just wondering, is Yuzu's blood type A? His known character just sounds like it :think:

I think he is blood type B.

3 minutes ago, kiki said:

I think he is blood type B.

:thankyou:

I was thinking he's either A or O, but a B huh :smiley-cool14:

sorry guys I'm just a little into blood type personality  :smiley-ashamed005: