General Yuzuru Chat

6 minutes ago, Anzi said:

Wait does that mean bcuz SBS thinks their TV right is violated as some videos (e.g. FS video) are on YouTube, so they have complex issues with ISU. And the result of negotiation is to delete those videos instead of geo-blocking them from Korea? 

Enlighten me please…I have no idea about how complicate the issue would be...

Please keep in mind, I don't know that much either. I'm basing my assessment of the situation on what I could read in that twitter post. What that post says, makes it sound like SBS thinks they have the right to ask to take down ANY video posted on the internet that has ISU content, no matter who posted it or where it's coming from, unless it's geoblocked in Korea. 

Also, ISU content includes speed skating and short track speed skating, as well as synchronized skating and figure skating. So we're not the only ones suffering. 

9 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Please keep in mind, I don't know that much either. I'm basing my assessment of the situation on what I could read in that twitter post. What that post says, makes it sound like SBS thinks they have the right to ask to take down ANY video posted on the internet that has ISU content, no matter who posted it or where it's coming from, unless it's geoblocked in Korea. 

Also, ISU content includes speed skating and short track speed skating, as well as synchronized skating and figure skating. So we're not the only ones suffering. 

I see...when it come to legal issue my brain just automatically stops working....:embSwan:

thank you for everyone who volunteered! we'll organise the info now and contact you later.

I'm actually considering vimeo since the different language seem to be a huge turnoff for potential contributors, is there anyone who knows how strict the copyright are there? continues with wings survived but idk if the other SBS videos will be taken down. 

I know everyone is upset, even angry about the videos being taken down on YouTube.  I truly appreciate everyone trying  to salvage them on various sites because I will probably look for them in the future. 

However, there seems to be little if anything that can be done about it.

So on trying to focus on positivity , I think I found one ...at least for myself temporarily.

I went to YouTube and searched Yuzuru and filtered by the most recently uploaded.  With everyone reuploading, it’s like a review of old Yuzu videos that I forgot or never saw.  It’s like getting to know details of him again.

For example, being a Yuzu fan, never saw this entire translated video,  but so interesting.

Or this one, such a perfect ending to a tough and difficult season.  Also he had that 4loop (4:30) way before Nathan and Shoma were in the picture.  He didn’t do it to show the young ones, he did it because he’s Yuzu and always moving skating forward.

All i I can say is watch it before deleted again, lol 

Regarding SBS claiming copyright on all videos, I suspect the contracts left a loophole that allows them to do so. The thing is, they probably bought the right to the footage itself to be broadcasted in Korea. Since the footage is basically the same over all broadcasters (the official ISU footage, with a few exceptions, who also have their own cameras), then they can claim copyright over that footage being broadcasted in Korea, even if the source is another broadcaster. (Since their copyright doesn't just cover their commentary or so, but the footage as well). So, if they have the right to broadcast WC17 in Korea and this loophole exists, then they have the right to demand any video that has the same footage, even if it's from Eurosport or NBC or CBC or whoever else, be removed. Of course, the better thing would be to ask that it be geo-blocked in Korea - ie not available for free in Korea, but it's probably just easier like this. They hardly care about FS popularity.

What ISU needs to do is find a way to close any such loopholes, specifically demand that videos be geo-blocked instead of removed or add a clause about applying it retroactively or even for past broadcasts. Because unless SBS intends to rerun all these events it's utterly stupid to demand them removed, because it does not in any way affect them negatively. Quite the contrary. It's not like people aren't watching SBS live broadcast because they're watching it online, therefore affecting their viewing numbers. Instead, new fans might discover that "oh, look, SBS broadcasts FS! I'll check it out and watch the next competition there!" But I guess it's easier to just scream "Mine! Mine! Mine!" >_>

Now about the videos themselves, I'm not a big fan of bilibili either, because of how much of a pain downloading from there is. Plus the interface. (Although there are some precious gems there that I will try to get my hands on now that you've shared ways to do so ^_^; So, thank you for that!) Wouldn't it be possible to do a more private, members-only platform to share the links and still use youtube, with coded video names and making the videos either friends only or unlisted? That'd be safer from a lot of points of view, at least until, hopefully, ISU really does something about this mess. Though I guess it wouldn't help new fans as much...

26 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Regarding SBS claiming copyright on all videos, I suspect the contracts left a loophole that allows them to do so. The thing is, they probably bought the right to the footage itself to be broadcasted in Korea. Since the footage is basically the same over all broadcasters (the official ISU footage, with a few exceptions, who also have their own cameras), then they can claim copyright over that footage being broadcasted in Korea, even if the source is another broadcaster. (Since their copyright doesn't just cover their commentary or so, but the footage as well). So, if they have the right to broadcast WC17 in Korea and this loophole exists, then they have the right to demand any video that has the same footage, even if it's from Eurosport or NBC or CBC or whoever else, be removed. Of course, the better thing would be to ask that it be geo-blocked in Korea - ie not available for free in Korea, but it's probably just easier like this. They hardly care about FS popularity.

What ISU needs to do is find a way to close any such loopholes, specifically demand that videos be geo-blocked instead of removed or add a clause about applying it retroactively or even for past broadcasts. Because unless SBS intends to rerun all these events it's utterly stupid to demand them removed, because it does not in any way affect them negatively. Quite the contrary. It's not like people aren't watching SBS live broadcast because they're watching it online, therefore affecting their viewing numbers. Instead, new fans might discover that "oh, look, SBS broadcasts FS! I'll check it out and watch the next competition there!" But I guess it's easier to just scream "Mine! Mine! Mine!" >_>

Now about the videos themselves, I'm not a big fan of bilibili either, because of how much of a pain downloading from there is. Plus the interface. (Although there are some precious gems there that I will try to get my hands on now that you've shared ways to do so ^_^; So, thank you for that!) Wouldn't it be possible to do a more private, members-only platform to share the links and still use youtube, with coded video names and making the videos either friends only or unlisted? That'd be safer from a lot of points of view, at least until, hopefully, ISU really does something about this mess. Though I guess it wouldn't help new fans as much...

yea, we just realised that worlds 17 cannot be uploaded there because of copyright lol. Maybe some china tv bought the broadcast. But other figure skating channels are doing really well so i wouldn't worry too much about it. Think they only care about chinese broadcasting rights which isn't a lot. 

we're currently looking into wordpress embedding, basically compiling videos from various sources

if we want to host our own video site, does anyone know how to do this? or are there any good file sharing sites that can be used to compile? 

8 hours ago, Niji said:

Do you know how to contact Lorando? I follow her on twitter, but I cant' send her messages and I don't know her account name here on PH (if she is on PH). I downloaded a lot lot lot of Yuzu videos in the past half year, since I'm always a paranoid person who is afraid to lose precious content, even before this madness started. Having a really good internet connection and several hard drives helped too. Sooo there might be a good chance, that I have videos from Lorando Muffins Youtube account, too. I downloaded literally everything I found :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp:

hi, if you have tumblr you can contact her here! https://muffinlorando.tumblr.com or just tweet to her on twitter, she just finished her finals so she'll be able to respond. thank you so much <3 

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's crazy. If you read that carefully, it seems that it says, in essence,  that SBS, whoever the flying **** they might be, has the legal right to regulate all ISU-related videos uploaded to any internet platform, regardless of origin, as long as they are not geo-blocked for Korea. That means that not only fan-uploaded videos, but any videos of ISU competitions uploaded by anyone, including other broadcasters who have also purchased broadcast rights, can be deleted at SBS's request unless geo-blocked for Korea!!!

Who the freakin' frackety-frack ever agreed to that contract at ISU?! Or did they simply fail to read the fine print? Like, wtf?!! This sounds like SBS thinks they have exculsive worldwide rights to all ISU content.

It's possible they won't go after any official ones- ie if BESP uploads anything to youtube, it's less likely that SBS will go after them, simply because it's a bigger hassle, as BESP I imagine, would have a similar clause in their contract with ISU for broadcasting (live, streaming and online on any platform). Official uploads would also allow geo-blocking so there are plenty of nuances involved.

The only ones going down right now, are fan-uploaded videos- but if you want to get into legal nuances, there may be plenty of legality issues involved in fan-uploads themselves (just because there are no profits involved does not mean it automatically falls under fair use). But also, fan uploads probably have less legal protection (financially etc) to defend against takedowns.

7 hours ago, kaeryth said:

How to vote??? They require AIPS card number :((( He's nominated along HUGE names like Cristiano Ronaldo, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, etc so it's gonna be very hard. Anyone who's already a member of the media??? Plzz voteee

I'm such a noob about the law problem.

2 hours ago, Salior said:

yea, we just realised that worlds 17 cannot be uploaded there because of copyright lol. Maybe some china tv bought the broadcast. But other figure skating channels are doing really well so i wouldn't worry too much about it. Think they only care about chinese broadcasting rights which isn't a lot. 

we're currently looking into wordpress embedding, basically compiling videos from various sources

if we want to host our own video site, does anyone know how to do this? or are there any good file sharing sites that can be used to compile? 

Anything you do publicly will be likely to be attacked in the same way, especially if it becomes popular, because then those claiming copyrights will find out about them. The easier it will be to find out who is behind it - by registering a website, or making a wordpress account in your name and so on - the higher the possibility of actual people being slammed with copyright claims and perhaps accusations of piracy. That's partly why youtube and video hosting sites are better, because they add a level of anonymity, especially since one can make a million accounts on google and re-upload whenever they get shut down. Also since youtube takes immediate action, it satisfies the copyright claimers. If however they find the real people doing this, it can get worse. Not quite the same thing, but some of you might be aware there used to be people uploading jdramas some time back, until the Japanese TV Stations found them and forced them to stop. Or occasionally people even getting arrested for sharing anime and such online. So, personally, I don't recommend starting websites or self-hosting copyrighted videos, no matter how unfair the claims might seem.