General Yuzuru Chat

Since we're back to discussing the injury and the state of Yuzu's ankle and what Yuzu should do from now on, here's my two cents, that some people might see as negative, but I believe is in line with what we know about Yuzu's personality. Under spoiler, though, just in case.

Spoiler

From the outside, we want Yuzu to stay as healthy as possible, to be able to skate for as long as possible, even if it means having to give up the difficult jumps and never doing 4A. It's because we love him and hate seeing him suffer and we want to enjoy his skating for as long as possible.

However, Yuzu, like all people truly passionate about what they do, probably has other priorities. His priority is 4A and he will only take care as much as necessary in order to be able to do 4A in competition. Even if doing 4A in itself is likely to do permanent damage. It's the same as with the Olympics. Winning his second Olympic Gold was the most important thing. Even if it meant never being able to move again, as he himself said in an interview afterwards. He was able to recover after that, though, so the next goal is 4A. And there might be things he'll be willing to sacrifice to achieve that goal. But it's unlikely they are the same things we would sacrifice and we would want him to choose.

This situation reminds of a far more tragic story of a musician who died very young (I believe he wasn't even 30 or just around 30 years old). He had an illness for a long time (his family never revealed what illness) and he was told by doctors that he should give up his career, because touring and performing and the stress of it, especially after the band he was in went major, were bad for his health. He refused and continued following his dream. While the band was working on their major debut album, he became so sick he had to take time off and a short while later, he passed away. It was a huge shock to everyone, especially since nobody knew he was sick. But what I always thought and it helped me celebrate his life more than mourn his passing is that he had a short life, but he probably lived more in his short 30 or so years than many people do in 100. You can live a sedate life, not taking risks and just go through the motions and live a long life, and end up with more regrets and a more boring life story than someone who lives half as much but follows their dreams and takes risks and simply enjoys life. Quality over quantity.

While I'm not much of a risk taker myself, I have great respect for people who set goals and go after them at all costs, who follow their dreams and simply enjoy themselves. I believe that's what Yuzu is like, too.

And I think that's what Brian is saying in the new Team Brian book, too, though I'm not sure those parts have been translated. That even if he might not agree with some of Yuzu's choices and he might worry for him, that's who Yuzu is and he will take those risks for his goals and will set goals that he doesn't really need to achieve, but that he wants to achieve and the best thing Brian can do for him is push his own worries away and try to find the safest ways to help Yuzu achieve them.

Bottom line is, yes, going after 4A might do even more damage to Yuzu's body. But knowing him, he won't give up until he achieves it. Whether he'll give up other quads or take longer to give his body time to heal entirely depends on facts we don't know. Personally, I feared that he was gunning for 4A precisely because he knew he was on borrowed time. But that he shifted his focus after ACI says maybe not? But it takes very little for him to get injured, without even training 4A, so the more he practices, the bigger the chances of injury. He has to be nearly perfect to avoid injury completely, at all time, and that's incredibly hard. It's also possible he might have additional goals this year. But any decision he makes will be with these goals in mind and not much with regards to what happens afterwards, IMO. Afterwards will only matter when afterwards comes. Just like post-Oly only mattered after Oly was done.

52 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Oh I agree so much, none of us want to see Yuzu having repeated injury to this now very vulnerable joint - if he continues competitive skating later in the season I am hoping he sticks only with 4T and 4S.  We want to see him skating for years ahead and reach his full artistic and creative potential, and I want him to really protect that ankle from now on.  However, even Brian mentioned 4A the other day didn't he? saying Yuzu will jump this, so it seems that his plans/goal haven't changed (I think this was in a post-injury interview but I may be wrong??)......this injury may well delay his plan to jump 4A this season, which might lead to another competitive season, though he could do a Javi and semi retire with maybe a few (of his own?) ice shows to keep him busy .  Whatever, I feel this injury is truly significant despite being "less serious" than last year.  Yuzuru will know he needs to think of the long term here, both as a duty towards himself and his plans to skate for a long time with the sense of enjoyment and fun that he has spoken about, and as a duty towards his loyal and loving fans to whom he will want to show gratitude for these years and years of support around the world.  Yuzuru, whatever you decide, you have our respect, love, and support - pleeeease look after yourself and that precious body of yours though!! 

There is an old saying in Chinese called "only by throwing a long line, you can catch a big fish " which means the huge agenda should be put into a long-term plan. I totally agree with what you said, for Yuzu a smart way to achieve his dream is first to get recovery and then go back to practice STEP BY STEP. And I believe he knows how to manage his plan to accord with his condition. But it would still be better if Brian is there with him and to KEEP EYES on him.

15 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Yuzu has withdrawn from GPF

Ugh. I'm so relieved. I'm sad, too, but mainly relief is all I feel. 

May all your pain go away, dearest Yuzu. I'm so happy you're taking the time to heal. We all love you and support you forever. We'll be waiting for spring to come :tumblr_inline_mto5i9TIpx1qid2nw: