General Yuzuru Chat

I am very thankful for those who already translated some parts from Team Brian II, but I really hope that some fans will translate the whole book one day, even though it takes so much time and effort to do it. Reading those excerpts makes me emotional and probably the whole book as interesting as the translated parts. Japanese fans told me in Moscow that is in an absolute must read for every Yuzu fans and they also asked me to read it if I'll have the chance.

--

Today I've watched Seimei from NHK Trophy a couple of times. On this day three years ago Yuzu became the first skater who surpassed 200-point mark in the free skate and 300-point mark in the combinted total score with his skate at NHK. :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw:

2 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I am very thankful for those who already translated some parts from Team Brian II, but I really hope that some fans will translate the whole book one day, even though it takes so much time and effort to do it. Reading those excerpts makes me emotional and probably the whole book as interesting as the translated parts. Japanese fans told me in Moscow that is in an absolute must read for every Yuzu fans and they also asked me to read it if I'll have the chance.

I also think & hope so... is Team Brian available for purchase outside of Japan? I think I saw that there was a digital copy available...

Perhaps if translation was spread in a similar way that Aoi Honoo is (aka fans proving they own the original), it could be possible? 

7 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

I also think & hope so... is Team Brian available for purchase outside of Japan? I think I saw that there was a digital copy available...

Perhaps if translation was spread in a similar way that Aoi Honoo is (aka fans proving they own the original), it could be possible? 

I don't think it's available in bookshops outside of Japan but it's easy to order it through Amazon JP which ships internationally. I also saw a Kindle version earlier.

I was also thinking of a fan translation, like they did with Aoi Honoo too.

Brian shaking himself is me every time I rewatch this. He's literally shook.

Spoiler

This always amazes me. Like he did that. Imagine being so good you change so much in a short amount of time, so good you’re the first to put together such technical prowess and artistry into, not one but, two programs, so good you break the previous total world scoring record by 27.13 points. But we don’t even have to imagine because Yuzuru already did it and is continuing to do so under a new scoring system (“How!?” I can hear the ISU screaming from here ). I could go on forever about NHK ‘15 and the happiness he exudes at the end of Seimei <3. Every time I watch it I’m blown away all over again. 

In looking at vids from those early years with Brian (2012-15) I'm wondering if Brian had any inkling of the sheer phenomenon Yuzu would become.  Obviously he saw that Yuzu had talent but I have a feeling he was seeing the potential of Yuzu and Javi as roughly equal.  Javi would go on to win two world championship as well as six straight European championships.  Yuzu would go on to take the world of skating by storm becoming a living legend and prompting talk of Yuzu as the Greatest Of All Time.  I think NHK and GPF were the events that must have most shaken Brian for he must be realizing that Yuzu was far more than the highly talented young skater he took on back in the summer of 2012.  With that realization must have come an awareness of the enormous responsibility that came with training such an athlete.  I think that was probably the time when Yuzu's and Brian's relationship began to alter toward what I think it is today, where Team TCC exist essentially as advisers for Yuzu as he sets for the direction and goals he's seeking.  Gone definitely are those early days when Yuzu, when first arriving in Toronto, was taken back to figure skating kindergarten and learning basic skills.  That strategy paid off, I'm sure, because I think that was when Yuzu truly began to see how all the various elements of skating had to work and it was not just a matter of mastering some quads.  As for the current situation I think the only person who can tell Yuzu what he can do is his medical team.  His receiving that Rostelecom medal while on crutches for me was an indication that with two significant injuries to his right ankle in the period of these last two seasons Yuzu is realizing that his body is not made of steel and that what he does on the ice can have long term consequences.  So he's following the doctor's advice.  Good!!!  He needs to realize that with age comes increasing vulnerability to the erosion time takes of us all physically through the years.

Which brings me to a question all of us are asking about Yuzu.  What next?  On one hand I can see him holding back from competition and preparing himself for Worlds at the end of this season.  If he should go gold there I have a feeling at that point the temptation to retire would be extremely great, particularly because of the injuries of these last two seasons.  On the other hand there is the example of Daisuke Takahashi, who came out of retirement this year, feeling acutely what leaving competition had removed from his life.  He wants back in the game.  Yuzu must be viewing that as an indication that he should soldier on.  Which should he do, particularly as he also has probably quite vividly the memory of how his hero, Evgeny Plushenko had to withdraw from competition literally just minutes before the commencement of the short program competition at Sochi.  It's somewhat ironic that Takahashi is reentering competition at roughly the same age as Plushy was when he withdrew and retired.  There is a great deal contingent on the decisions Yuzu is now being forced to make because so much has been invested in him, not simply by the fans who have purchased all that is needed to get them to his competitions but also to the advertisers with whom he's involved and the publishing industry in Japan that is not a small portion of Yuzu Incorporated.  His retirement from competition would not remove his value for his sponsors but it would bring about a rearrangement of his relationship to them and to his fans he would feel almost honor bound, I think, to find some way to continue his relationship with them.  That's why I have a feeling ice shows loom big in Yuzu's post-retirement scenarios, more than likely shows he produces himself and where he can exert artistic control.

All in all I feel strongly for Yuzu because circumstances right now seemed to have conspired to necessitate decisions he probably felt he wouldn't need to make any time soon.  Life has its ways of outflanking even the best-planned strategies but then Yuzu has also his memory of the earthquake and how things can be a lot worse than the conundrum he nows finds himself faced with.  That experience above all we must not forget is one Yuzu will not forget and however great the obstructions he faces now are in his mind minuscile when compared with the horrendous challenges not only he but all of Japan faced after that huge disaster.  It's that experience that has generated in Yuzu a sense of scale that has kept him humble despite the greatness of his achievements and has made him so willing to give of himself for the needs of others.  If Yuzu should retire I think all of us can be thankful that he would be putting an end to a career few can equal in the annals of sport in general, not simply for the athletic achievement but also for the greatness of that person the world knows as Yuzuru Hanyu.  The only other athlete I can think of who compares with Yuzu in both athletic achievement and greatness as a person is Wayne Gretzky.  Both of them never forgot their roots and viewed their success as requiring also a giving back to the public who so admired them.  And for all of us there would still be the anticipation of the ice shows Yuzu might create.  Looking at how Continues was structured I would not be surprised to see Yuzu bring to that format the same imagination and integrity with which he pursued his victories.

Just some thoughts on my part.  I just hope he decides to continue to compete after this season but we've got to be ready to face the inevitability that retirement will have to come some time.  At least by then Yuzu will have given us some indication of what he intends afterward.  We have to remember this - Yuzu does not like to think small.

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

In looking at vids from those early years with Brian (2012-15) I'm wondering if Brian had any inkling of the sheer phenomenon Yuzu would become.  Obviously he saw that Yuzu had talent but I have a feeling he was seeing the potential of Yuzu and Javi as roughly equal.  Javi would go on to win two world championship as well as six straight European championships.  Yuzu would go on to take the world of skating by storm becoming a living legend and prompting talk of Yuzu as the Greatest Of All Time.  I think NHK and GPF were the events that must have most shaken Brian for he must be realizing that Yuzu was far more than the highly talented young skater he took on back in the summer of 2012.  With that realization must have come an awareness of the enormous responsibility that came with training such an athlete.  I think that was probably the time when Yuzu's and Brian's relationship began to alter toward what I think it is today, where Team TCC exist essentially as advisers for Yuzu as he sets for the direction and goals he's seeking.  Gone definitely are those early days when Yuzu, when first arriving in Toronto, was taken back to figure skating kindergarten and learning basic skills.  That strategy paid off, I'm sure, because I think that was when Yuzu truly began to see how all the various elements of skating had to work and it was not just a matter of mastering some quads.  As for the current situation I think the only person who can tell Yuzu what he can do is his medical team.  His receiving that Rostelecom medal while on crutches for me was an indication that with two significant injuries to his right ankle in the period of these last two seasons Yuzu is realizing that his body is not made of steel and that what he does on the ice can have long term consequences.  So he's following the doctor's advice.  Good!!!  He needs to realize that with age comes increasing vulnerability to the erosion time takes of us all physically through the years.

Which brings me to a question all of us are asking about Yuzu.  What next?  On one hand I can see him holding back from competition and preparing himself for Worlds at the end of this season.  If he should go gold there I have a feeling at that point the temptation to retire would be extremely great, particularly because of the injuries of these last two seasons.  On the other hand there is the example of Daisuke Takahashi, who came out of retirement this year, feeling acutely what leaving competition had removed from his life.  He wants back in the game.  Yuzu must be viewing that as an indication that he should soldier on.  Which should he do, particularly as he also has probably quite vividly the memory of how his hero, Evgeny Plushenko had to withdraw from competition literally just minutes before the commencement of the short program competition at Sochi.  It's somewhat ironic that Takahashi is reentering competition at roughly the same age as Plushy was when he withdrew and retired.  There is a great deal contingent on the decisions Yuzu is now being forced to make because so much has been invested in him, not simply by the fans who have purchased all that is needed to get them to his competitions but also to the advertisers with whom he's involved and the publishing industry in Japan that is not a small portion of Yuzu Incorporated.  His retirement from competition would not remove his value for his sponsors but it would bring about a rearrangement of his relationship to them and to his fans he would feel almost honor bound, I think, to find some way to continue his relationship with them.  That's why I have a feeling ice shows loom big in Yuzu's post-retirement scenarios, more than likely shows he produces himself and where he can exert artistic control.

All in all I feel strongly for Yuzu because circumstances right now seemed to have conspired to necessitate decisions he probably felt he wouldn't need to make any time soon.  Life has its ways of outflanking even the best-planned strategies but then Yuzu has also his memory of the earthquake and how things can be a lot worse than the conundrum he nows finds himself faced with.  That experience above all we must not forget is one Yuzu will not forget and however great the obstructions he faces now are in his mind minuscile when compared with the horrendous challenges not only he but all of Japan faced after that huge disaster.  It's that experience that has generated in Yuzu a sense of scale that has kept him humble despite the greatness of his achievements and has made him so willing to give of himself for the needs of others.  If Yuzu should retire I think all of us can be thankful that he would be putting an end to a career few can equal in the annals of sport in general, not simply for the athletic achievement but also for the greatness of that person the world knows as Yuzuru Hanyu.  The only other athlete I can think of who compares with Yuzu in both athletic achievement and greatness as a person is Wayne Gretzky.  Both of them never forgot their roots and viewed their success as requiring also a giving back to the public who so admired them.  And for all of us there would still be the anticipation of the ice shows Yuzu might create.  Looking at how Continues was structured I would not be surprised to see Yuzu bring to that format the same imagination and integrity with which he pursued his victories.

Just some thoughts on my part.  I just hope he decides to continue to compete after this season but we've got to be ready to face the inevitability that retirement will have to come some time.  At least by then Yuzu will have given us some indication of what he intends afterward.  We have to remember this - Yuzu does not like to think small.

He said he won't retire, not until 4A. I do sympathize with a lot of what you wrote, especially the hard decisions Yuzu has to make in the coming days/months, yet I trust his words as always, and looking forward to what he would have become, against all obstacles and doubts. He will come back, and let's pray for our boy to come back healthy and wise. 

39 minutes ago, icecreamy said:

He said he won't retire, not until 4A. I do sympathize with a lot of what you wrote, especially the hard decisions Yuzu has to make in the coming days/months, yet I trust his words as always, and looking forward to what he would have become, against all obstacles and doubts. He will come back, and let's pray for our boy to come back healthy and wise. 

Agree. He has his own agenda now and he has full passion and vision invested on his future skating career. That's his personal goal. And we shouldn't doubt his determination.

I have not been able to keep with this thread (it moves so fast!).  As someone who sustained a serious ankle injury, two of three ligaments torn, I think healing and rehab will take months, not weeks. The "off the cuff" advice from the initial doctor (without full assessment) was 3 weeks IF HE DOES NOT SKATE. Well, he skated and damaged his ankle even more.

Ligament tears do not ever "heal" completely. They will regenerate a little at the ends but will not fuse. Two of my ankle ligaments look like zipper teeth (unzipped). I have one intact ligament left.

I would be happy if he never jumped 4Lo, 4Lz or 4A or any quad. He's already raised the bar so much technically, but clearly has much more to offer artistically. Non-fans are complimenting Otonal as a very rich program and see him in a different light. 

51 minutes ago, Bonesfan said:

I have not been able to keep with this thread (it moves so fast!).  As someone who sustained a serious ankle injury, two of three ligaments torn, I think healing and rehab will take months, not weeks. The "off the cuff" advice from the initial doctor (without full assessment) was 3 weeks IF HE DOES NOT SKATE. Well, he skated an damaged his ankle even more.

Ligament tears do not ever "heal" completely. They will regenerate a little at the ends but will not fuse. Two of my ankle ligaments look like an zipper teeth (unzipped). I have one intact ligament left.

I would be happy if he never jumped 4Lo, 4Lz or 4A or any quad. He's already raised the bar so much technically, but clearly has much more to offer artistically. Non-fans are complimenting Otonal as a very rich program and see him in a different light. 

Oh I agree so much, none of us want to see Yuzu having repeated injury to this now very vulnerable joint - if he continues competitive skating later in the season I am hoping he sticks only with 4T and 4S.  We want to see him skating for years ahead and reach his full artistic and creative potential, and I want him to really protect that ankle from now on.  However, even Brian mentioned 4A the other day didn't he? saying Yuzu will jump this, so it seems that his plans/goal haven't changed (I think this was in a post-injury interview but I may be wrong??)......this injury may well delay his plan to jump 4A this season, which might lead to another competitive season, though he could do a Javi and semi retire with maybe a few (of his own?) ice shows to keep him busy .  Whatever, I feel this injury is truly significant despite being "less serious" than last year.  Yuzuru will know he needs to think of the long term here, both as a duty towards himself and his plans to skate for a long time with the sense of enjoyment and fun that he has spoken about, and as a duty towards his loyal and loving fans to whom he will want to show gratitude for these years and years of support around the world.  Yuzuru, whatever you decide, you have our respect, love, and support - pleeeease look after yourself and that precious body of yours though!!